Author Topic: Window/door net  (Read 5173 times)

Offline angryyouth

• "Not so much the youth part but definately still Angry"
  • New folks
Window/door net
« on: January 17, 2009, 01:16:26 PM »
Question on door nets. Does the window net HAVE to be mounted inside the the roll cage on a door car. I understand that the purpose of the net is to keep your parts(legs/arms) inside in case a roll over and the door comes open/off. If the net is inside of the perimeter of the body of the car but on the out side of roll cage would this work. In the rules it says mounting has to be done in a manner that avoids tabs, brackets or net coming in contact with track surface. As I see it in my application this would meet the requirements in my application mounted on the outside of the roll cage. So bottom line is mounting on the outside of the cage a deal breaker.
-thanks

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Window/door net
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 02:20:09 PM »
The tech inspector considers the body GONE in a mishap. So if any part of your net structure can be in contact with the racing surface it would most likely be in violation of the rule.

I'm not a tech guy just been around a bit...
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 03:11:09 PM »
I'm not a tech guy either, but. At WoS I was gigged for not having my net inside the cage on my steel body Vega. Later Gary Cope, the inspector in question, called to say he had reconsidered and that in the case of a Uinabody car such as my Vega, the net being attached to the inside of the door frame was good enough. This was confirmed by another well known SCTA person. That said his write up made me look at the car more closely and right now I'm taking a lunch break from moving my clutch pedal to a better protected place and I will be looking at moving at least some of my net mounts inside the cage.

Offline dickj

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 03:46:20 PM »
My net was originally on the outside of the cage (Firebird - unibody).  My inspector told me it had to be moved inside the cage.  I was allowed to run, but written up. I have since re-engineered and remounted the net inside the cage.  Take the safe route and mount it inside the cage to begin with. No need to push your luck with the inspectors, and definitely a lot safer if you end up doing a half mile slide on the driver's side with the door gone.   DickJ

Offline angryyouth

• "Not so much the youth part but definately still Angry"
  • New folks
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 05:07:58 PM »

I figured those were going to be the answers I was going to get... I am just having a tough time building a good setup on the inside of the bar with the funny car cage I have in the car. I 'll keep plugging away... If it was easy everyone would be doing it. right?
Thanks.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 05:58:12 PM »
I don't really see how to do it with a funny car cage. I would have had to add tubing to mine to have someplace to mount it. I think you might want to write to the SCTA proper and get a good answer.

Offline oldracer19

• Plan B Racing
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 11:41:42 PM »
Instead of starting a new thread, I'll try here first. Late last summer, I did some checking on having a door net made, but we ran out of time and $, and put off our effort until this year.

My problem is that I can't remember which company I talked with. I know I have seen some guys discussing Stroud nets, but it seems like it was one of the others. Maybe DJS or Deist??  Once I figure out who I talked with, all I have to do is figure out what the movers did with my pattern.  :?
"because plan A never works"