Author Topic: First Record  (Read 7305 times)

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
First Record
« on: January 14, 2009, 06:17:34 PM »
Hello all.
  I just got home and found a big manila envelope in the mail. Like the kid in the Christmas movie . I ran upstairs and carefully opened it. To my delight I found my official record from the ECTA. My first ever land speed record.
 What a great feeling to see it like that. I hope to set more next year but this one is special.
Thank you to all the volunteers and everyone that helped me out.  :cheers:
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline Stan Back

Re: First Record
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 06:29:44 PM »
They're all special, but that first one is a real validation.  Thanx for remembering all the volunteers!

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 09:27:46 AM »
Congrats Eric, now that you have the bug, hang on to your wallet and enjoy the racing :-D
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 11:58:01 AM »
Congrats Eric, now that you have the bug, hang on to your wallet and enjoy the racing :-D
  About that BUG.
When I left the track in October I was done . Exhausted mentally physically and financially. Before I got to Hickman road . I had retired from racing.For a whole week ,I did not give Maxton a second thought. Then I found myself ordering custom made pistons and Rods . Then redoing my ignition system.
I started working on my seating position and making check lists for April.
So much for retiring. Like a drug addict I just keep going ..Ain't it great?

Thank you Mr Guthrie Coming from you That means a whole lot .Thanks

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 02:10:13 PM »
Eric,

Congratulations, it was great seeing you do such a good job in October... I was pulling for you and YOU DID IT....

I got an envelope too... now I have 3 records.... (3 meets in 2008 and 3 records) as a rookie in 2008, I kinda feel Ok with the results,, I had high expectations, did not reach them all but met most of them for a new guy on the LSR scene,,,

But to be honest, I came to the sport because of the people and the camaraderie.. the way I was treated just as a spectator with many questions helped make up mind that this was a group I wanted to be in...yeah yeah I wanted to "try for a record" yeah I thought I could,,yeah I am competitive,  yeah I wanna go fast, yeah I wanted to have a cool retro themed ride, yeah I am sometimes full of crap,,, but no certificate could ever replace the way the folks welcomed and encouraged me.. Class acts they all are,,,the racers, the fans, the folks in the trailer and the tower, to all the volunteers that help the events run so smooth (even when faced with the unexpected, they do an awesome job,, the race goes on  because of them) The ECTA folks and all the LSR folks I have met or chatted with are great....

Let's all hope for a fast and safe 2009 Season...

Hope to see you in April..

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline dickj

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 02:17:48 PM »

Congratulations, Eric. 

That first one will always be special - - kinda like "the first time".  My first record was at a screaming 102 MPH, to which I've added just about a hundred more MPH and a "few dollars more", but that first one is still special!  Be ready to enjoy the best addiction in the world!  Ahh, and then wait until you experience "salt fever".   DickJ

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 02:21:10 PM »
Dick,,

100 more MPH for just a few hundred bucks ??  (hmm maybe a few hunderd bucks for each MPH increase) 

I wish I knew the real formula for $ needed for each increase in MPH ??

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 02:43:02 PM »
Congrats Eric! Super job! Now go out & get a picture frame then pick out which wall will house the treasures that you will acquire as your racing progresses.

As for Eric's hat some day... if momma lets him ride a big bike you may have to fight me for those honors! Eric is one of my favorite rookie 2 wheel racers from Maxton. His kind of enthusiasm and spirit are a big part of what makes it great for some of us!  :wink:

:cheers:

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 03:35:13 PM »
Eric,
Congratulations. This is no small achievement. To quote (misquote maybe) Joe Timney, "Everyone talks about doing it and you actually did it."
Joe

Offline Freud

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 05:18:30 PM »
Scott had an experience with the Yosh team that he remembers very well.

He remembers it so well that he still practices it today.

He gave me that opportunity YEARS ago.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 05:51:10 PM »
You people are the best.
 Thank you Charles for expressing it so well. I don't have the words. I came to Maxton to see how fast my bike would go. I never expected to meet such wonderful people. I cant tell you how proud I am to be counted amongst you.

Hey Debb. She asked if I wanted to get into the 2 club. So she is not opposed to it.

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 06:28:33 PM »
SWEET!!! You need to bring her out to the track! Once she sees how it runs she'll feel better! ;)
You should bring her to the banquet this year. It's a lot of fun & a lot of laughs!
We look forward to watching your progress!

Oh & in reference to what Scott & Freud wrote, Steve Knecum gave me the same courtesy as well when I was trying to get my 2 club record. He had the ability to block my attempt but was very gracious in discussing with me his plan and assuring me he'd leave me room. I might have been able to top his speed but I surely would have run out of time during that meet. You can bet I'll pass on the favor if I'm ever in the postion. ;) Succeeding is wonderful but watching others achieve their own goals is really awesome!

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 08:19:12 PM »
 She actually dose not have any problem with me going 200mph. In fact I want to go that fast .And she would love it. The problem is I want to do it with a 250 cc bike :-P. Just shoot me.
I want to bring her to the banquet for sure . I cant wait for you to meet her.
 The most enduring memory's for me are seeing the lady at the front gate standing in the rain . Just so we all can play .
And I did not catch his name . But there was an honored guest at the October meet . A veteran racer from Bonneville. Everyone gave him a big hand at the drivers meeting.
Anyhow ,I was sitting on the starting line and it was wet . He came over and offered to wipe my face shield.
Wow.

Offline GearSpeedKelvo

• GEARSPEED MOTORSPORTS OWNER
  • ORGANIZING THE FIRST PHILIPPINE LAND SPEED RACE
    • GEARSPEED MOTORSPORTS
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 10:12:46 AM »
Congrats.

Organizing the FIRST Philippine Land Speed Racing
Making the FIRST Philippine Land Speed Race Car on a Honda Civic
GearSpeed Motorsports' FIRST Race Car
PLSRA Philippine Land Speed Racing Association
Lot 6 Block 11 Buencamino St. BF Homes Subdivision Alabang Muntinlupa City
Contact number 807-13-95/09177941980

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 09:29:34 PM »
Great to hear Eric... and you're the reason the volunteers are there to do what they do. They may turn the oven on, but you're the one that bakes the cake. Congratulations on the icing.
Todd