Author Topic: 4 LSR Holders together  (Read 5859 times)

Robin UK

4 LSR Holders together
« on: January 14, 2009, 09:17:34 AM »
Here's something you won't see again. After Andy set his first record at 714.144mph, Pete Brock (the guy who designed the Cobra Daytona Coupe), wanted to get all 4 together on the edge of town at Gerlach for a photo session. There were only 5 record holders alive at the time so it was quite a line up. The one missing was Tom Green who along with Art has now died.

Robin

Offline bvillercr

Re: 4 LSR Holders together
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 11:26:01 AM »
Nice picture, and someone just laid down some fresh rubber.  :-D

Robin UK

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 12:04:18 PM »
Nice picture, and someone just laid down some fresh rubber.  :-D

Yup - think it might have been a guy called Jack Franck in his Dodge Ram truck. Maybe I'm maligning him but it was certainly never underdriven.

Was it you who asked about the supercharger on the Mercedes T80 LSR car? Didn't find out much but posted a reply. Hope it was of use.

Cheers

Robin

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 08:27:39 PM »
Here's something you won't see again. After Andy set his first record at 714.144mph, Pete Brock (the guy who designed the Cobra Daytona Coupe), wanted to get all 4 together on the edge of town at Gerlach for a photo session. There were only 5 record holders alive at the time so it was quite a line up. The one missing was Tom Green who along with Art has now died.

Robin

Robin

When I was at Black Rock 97 I got a picture of all four together. I got to go inside the Thrust SSC communications trailer where Andy Green and Richard Noble was they signed it and showed me there high tech computer data stuff and I got to see the Thrust SSC in the tent up close. When I was helping in the SOA camp I got a picture of Craig, Art Arfons and John Ackroyd amazing ALSR designer. Once in a life time deal to see both ALSR teams together at Black Rock
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:24:50 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Robin UK

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 07:53:49 AM »
Jim,

got that same photograph - it's great. Was standing alongside Pete snapping away as he took them. Did the reverse trip to you by visiting the SoA camp with Andy and a couple of others and had the obligatory pic taken with Craig. Ackers gave us the grand tour as I recall.

Robin
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 03:29:32 AM by Robin UK »

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 07:55:02 PM »
Robin

Its great we both got to see the Black Rock Showdown American vs British in person for the Supersonic land speed record. Richard and Andy did a perfect job getting the first 700mph record than doing an outstanding job in getting the first official supersonic land speed record at 763mph. I know once they get going on Bloodhound SSC the 800mph and 900mph and 1000mph will be in there hands there way advanced in the ALSR field in technology and design. The greatest thing is there keeping the ALSR challenge alive for other teams to try to get there first
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 02:45:01 AM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Offline Freud

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 10:23:46 PM »
What a marvelous foto. Planned or just happened, the light is gorgeous.

That's the stuff from which posters should be done.

What record did the dog hold?

FREUD
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 10:26:15 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Robin UK

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 04:26:26 AM »
Freud,

it was planned by Pete Brock. They met at Bev's house (she owns the Miner's Club) and walked to the edge of town to get the pic with the Gerlach sign in that light. They looked like a bunch of gunslingers walking out of town!! Funny you should ask about the dog - it was Craig's. Andy Green's RAF call sign name is Dead Dog so a dog owns 2 land speed records. Ta Dah!

Robin

Offline Freud

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 12:40:52 PM »
Robin:

Thanks for explaining the dog's involvement.

Technology is great but companionship is priceless.

Also, Thank you, Pete Brock.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 01:58:23 PM »
I have a couple of pictures (somewhere) of Richard Noble, Craig Breedlove, and Art Arfons in our pits eating some of our apples. Probably that's what makes them so fast, always ate apples. Ha!

Robin UK

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 02:11:39 PM »
Bet Richard didn't pay for the apples. Ha Ha!  :evil:

Robin

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 07:59:36 PM »
Freud,

it was planned by Pete Brock. They met at Bev's house (she owns the Miner's Club) and walked to the edge of town to get the pic with the Gerlach sign in that light. They looked like a bunch of gunslingers walking out of town!! Funny you should ask about the dog - it was Craig's. Andy Green's RAF call sign name is Dead Dog so a dog owns 2 land speed records. Ta Dah!

Robin

She has a temper

Craig's dog Muffin at his Rio Vista shop she ruled the roost anyone but Craig got close she warns you  :| he's had her for years. Thats a great photo them walking together they made  land speed record history

Blue

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 03:41:19 AM »
She has a temper

Craig's dog Muffin at his Rio Vista shop she ruled the roost anyone but Craig got close she warns you  :| he's had her for years. Thats a great photo them walking together they made  land speed record history
I think Muffin passed away a while ago.  When we were at Rio Vista in 2006, they had Matilda (hyper, happy wiener dog), and a cat who peed on anything that remotely smelled of David.  More than a few parts were scrapped because of the years of crystalized cat pee and other corrosion.