Author Topic: Roll Cage Structure & Late Model Corvettes?  (Read 10620 times)

Offline SuperL98

• New folks
Roll Cage Structure & Late Model Corvettes?
« on: May 27, 2009, 09:21:11 AM »
I have a question for Bob, or others involved with this event.

I posted a link to your race over in the Corvette Forum’s Northeast Section.
There is considerable interest, but the biggest problem is most have street oriented cars, and cutting up the interior to add a Roll Bar is a hard sell.
Most late model Corvettes will probably be approaching 150 mph, at the mile mark.

The question concerns the words “or roll cage structure”

“All cars in competition over 1 3 5 MPH, must be equipped with a roll bar or roll cage structure”

Is it possible that the late model (C4, C5 and C6) corvettes could tech to 150 mph, with the structure that exists?

I realize that this is the first event, and safety is critical, but figured I would ask the question.

Thanks in Advance.

Offline Bob Wanner

Re: Roll Cage Structure & Late Model Corvettes?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 04:07:49 PM »
Super 98 ( My Father's Oldsmobile? ),
I don't believe a street vehicle was ever constructed with an Integral roll cage structure that  would meet the LTA or any LSR Organization parameters for Safety. I'd suggest ordering a copy of either the LTA or ECTA or the SCTA Rulebook to see exactly what is required.
I've had a few discussions from Street Legal vehicle owners  capable of well into the 200 range that wish to utilize our venue that aren't about to invest in a cumbersome intrusive device for a few runs in August that they have tp put up with the other 365 days of the year. In addition there's a fire system,safety suit and helmet, and all the other Safety equipment required to run over 135 both at Loring and most reputable LSR venues.
Our Insurance requires it, bottom line. If you or your group can provide your own Insurance satisfatory to the LTA and The Loring Development Authority who oversees the entire facility , we would definitly consider allowing your runs, probably on a seperate following day. We currently have both a Porsche Club and the Maxximus G-Force Group planning just such an effort.
The runs would not be under the LTA auspices, as in no LTA records or hats, but we'd
provide the same Safety crew ,timing equipment, and volunteers to run the private event it would be.
Please contact me off line for further questions or info
Thank You for bringing this up , as I said, you are not the  First with this Question.
BOB W...party pooper,  but Safety is # 1, and 2 and 3 ....

Offline SuperL98

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 05:02:08 PM »
BOB W...party pooper,  but Safety is # 1, and 2 and 3 ....

Sometimes you know the answer to a question before you ask it, but you still have to ask anyway  :-D

Nothing party pooper about the answer  :-)

Thanks for the information, and I hope to attend someday ... with a legal car  :cheers:

Offline greenjunk

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 11:38:43 PM »
Super,
According to the ECTA rule book, c5 and c6 corvettes equipped with the appropriate tech requirements to meet a 150tech with the exception of a 4 point roll bar can get a 150 technical speed assuming a 5pt racing harness is installed via appropriate mounts ie, aftermarket bolt in seat belt bar which generally bolts to the lower seat studs and to the upper seatbelt mounting points, would be appropriate.  This is due to the integral frame stiffening, I believe this is also the same for vipers as well, but I'm not 100% sure.  I also do not think the c4 makes the grade, but would have to check the ecta book.  I would recomend picking up the ecta book, because there are a few other important safety items neccesary at 150mph, especially in a blown vehicle.  Hope that helps.

David Matyjasik
200mph "Time Bomb" Camaro
Green Hat: check
Moose Hat: tbd...
David
213mph Time Bomb Camaro

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 08:45:53 AM »
Super,  I think Greenjunk (David) is on to something,,,

Either way  135mph or 150mph,,, your group should bring your Vette's.. where else can you go 135 to 150 and not get a ticket, hang out with the cool  LSR crowd and be at an inaugural event like this ?

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline SuperL98

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 08:51:10 AM »
That's the reason I posted the question.
After searching Vette and Viper forums, some say they are good to 150 (with the other safety req), some say no?

It's a shame the ECTA doesn't post the rules online, or make it easier to order online?
I can't find anything on their home page anyway :?

Snailmailing $10 seams so 80's  :mrgreen:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
Snailmailing may be 80's, I grant you -- but the ECTA and other sanctioning organizations make the money necessary to run and coordinate events by, among other things, selling rulebooks.  That's the truth, and while it might be possible to put the book online and sell access to it -- this is a racer group, not a webmaster club, and since it's still pretty easy to mail a check -- you're not likely to find the book(s) published online any time soon.  I know that you can purchase other groups' books online -- but hey, they're out in the west and do things differently from the East Coast gang.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 01:25:44 PM »
SSS,, there is another way to get a rule book !!

Come to Maxton, meet all the folks, watch the event, learn a few things about
Land Speed Racing and our community and while you are there go buy a rule book at the trailer and have it in hand...

That is how I did it......and now I am Hooked !!!!

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline SuperL98

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 01:51:39 PM »
Snailmailing may be 80's, I grant you -- but the ECTA and other sanctioning organizations make the money necessary to run and coordinate events by, among other things, selling rulebooks.  That's the truth, and while it might be possible to put the book online and sell access to it -- this is a racer group, not a webmaster club, and since it's still pretty easy to mail a check -- you're not likely to find the book(s) published online any time soon.  I know that you can purchase other groups' books online -- but hey, they're out in the west and do things differently from the East Coast gang.

I know, just a little light humor  :-D

I didn't even bother with a check, just put $10 in the envelope
But than I had to go find one of those things called a post office, and get a stamp too  :-)

I have nothing but respect for the guy's that take on running these events
In these LawSuit crazy times, I can't even imagine taking on that kind of responsibility
Must be out of pure love of the sport  :cheers:

I saw on the news, the other day: some clips from the story

The “Lawsuit Zeus,” also known as “Johnny Sue-nami,” filed a lawsuit this week in federal court seeking an injunction to stop the Guinness Book of World Records from naming him as the person who has filed the most lawsuits in the history of mankind.
Those include lawsuits against New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick, former President George W. Bush, Somali pirates, Britney Spears and Martha Stewart, according to a Wikipedia page dedicated to Riches’ litigious exploits.
He’s also filed lawsuits against Plato, Nostradamus, James Hoffa, “Various Buddhist Monks,” the Lincoln Memorial, the Eiffel Tower and Three Mile Island.

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 03:24:32 PM »

I have nothing but respect for the guy's that take on running these events
In these LawSuit crazy times, I can't even imagine taking on that kind of responsibility
Must be out of pure love of the sport  :cheers:

Thank You, we are only following in the feetsteps of the ECTA, and their previous mentors in LSR. But it's still scary. BJ and I both agree this is more stressful than we thought when we decided to do it. We reconsider everything practically constantly to update all the issues and stay in some semblance of a comfort zone. Safety mostly, includes Insurance, track maintenance, support services, all the little stuff that becomes huge on game day. We still know we'll go CRS on something major , that's our focus, trying to remember what we forgot, in advance...LOL
BTW, that lawsuit guy is a inmate in NC, generates all that crap from the Inside.
BOB W