Author Topic: which runway? (pic)  (Read 15298 times)

Offline entropy

which runway? (pic)
« on: January 14, 2009, 05:05:51 AM »
Mr Wanner,
WAY COOL! that you are doing this!

Dr Gary(TRNorBRN) & I will climb into my ole Texas Copcar and pull a coupla' slow ass Kawasaki's up to yr event for sure!  2,300mi is only twice as far as Maxton for us. :-D

One question:  which of the 2 runways are you planning on using?  S to N?

Karl

BobW says:
This map pictured is turned a few degrees clockwise, as the top end, (top right) should be almost due north.

If you divide the middle runway into five segments, the bottom three are off limits as the DEP/EPA has some soil treatment project going on it.
We would use the top two segments of it for the return road, then a right ( west) turn to the third runway all the way back to the bottom end where we will have the pits and staging area.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 05:05:33 AM by entropy »

Offline Commuta_Busa

Re: which runway? (pic)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 08:06:46 AM »
looking at all the pics I've seen I would guess the furthest away one. It's also the widest. Just a guess though... I would also like to know which direction as well but it really doesn't matter.

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 08:22:45 AM »
Welcome to LR.com Karl, glad to hear you and Gary are going for sure (that cop car sure gets the miles man!).

I didn't realize there are two runways, it appears the left one is simply a taxiway, no?

Commuta...  Bob told me the runs will be South to North, just like Maxton. :cheers:
Todd

Offline TRNorBRN6001

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 09:19:23 AM »
Glad to have you on Entropy. Already looking at the wind direction for that time of year, you sly dog.

NARider, hope things are going well for you and the wifey.

PS: My old 12 is slow, but your N/A beast sure ain't. Entropy Don't forget your A liscence card from Maxton and Texas. Maybe your Passport too, it does not look far from the border. Might be like going over to Tijuana!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 09:26:27 AM »
PS: My old 12 is slow, but your N/A beast sure ain't. Entropy Don't forget your A liscence card from Maxton and Texas. Maybe your Passport too, it does not look far from the border. Might be like going over to Tijuana!

You might want to cut back on your meds a little....  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 09:29:59 AM »
Glad to have you on Entropy. Already looking at the wind direction for that time of year, you sly dog.
Bob said "Wind usually quarters from the west south west to west, sometimes briskly"

NARider, hope things are going well for you and the wifey.
Very well thanks,... hope the same for you also Gary. Look forward to seeing you soon.

Don't forget your A liscence card from Maxton and Texas. Maybe your Passport too, it does not look far from the border. Might be like going over to Tijuana!
Large Exceptions: In both Maine and Canada, they still speak english (or at least a variation of it to southerners), and Canada offers meds to cure things caught in Mexico.  :-)
Todd

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 10:22:09 AM »
http://www.airnav.com/airport/ME16

Sheri Buchta

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 02:17:59 PM »
With the prior report of the beginning of the track being concrete & the remainder being asphalt and running S to N I'm going to speculate that it will be run on the farthest right runway in the picture above running from the bottom right of the picture up towards the upper right corner. That would also be a safer way to go to try to alleviate people getting disoriented and accidentally trying to cross over the course. How's that for bench racing! ;)

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline TRNorBRN6001

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 02:40:57 PM »
DahMurph, that sounds excellent. I can see if it were run the other direction how you might get confused and turn left instead of right. Ali has promised me a tour of the other airfields though. Just kidding ya Ali. Don't know if he is on here, but he did say he was going up to run the 1.5Mi. I'll have to recommend He and Mr. Hill car/van pool together. Lol, that would be a story.

Sorry Karl, on the serious side, any weather predictions or pictures of good places to eat near by......................or do we have to pack in food. If so you might have to order one of those Monster lobsters, I'll bring my mom's old tamale cooker, and Maybe KZ can smuggle some Canadian beer.

Sorry Stainless, I have a weird sense of humor ...............with that said, going to have fun at Texas, Maxton, and Loring is my prozac!

Gary

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 06:45:52 PM »
Don't we all?

Todd is correct, there is one runway there, unless you are a flyer or in the military and then there are 2, one facing 10 degrees and the other at the reciprical of 190 degrees.

Old SAC bases have long runways, this should be a great event.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Tzoom

• All revved up with no place to go - Meatloaf 1977
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 07:34:18 PM »
There were more runways there.  Loring was the only SAC base in the Air Force that had parallel runways.  The narrower slab of pavement is an old runway.  Most SAC runways were 12,000' to 15,000' long and 300' wide.  some were wider and there were some that were probably longer.  Buffs need a lot of real estate to get airborne, especially on a hot day with a full bomb load.   
Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games --- Ernest Hemingway

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 07:41:52 PM »
The "Loring AFB today" map pictured here isn't today, it's actually a few years old. The maps available are of different vintages. The oldest ones have only two runways, as one of the smaller ones was constructed  later. This map pictured is turned a few degrees clockwise, as the top end, (top right) should be almost due north. If you divide the middle runway into five segments, the bottom three are off limits as the DEP/EPA has some soil treatment project going on it. We would use the top two segments of it for the return road, then a right ( west) turn to the third runway all the way back to the bottom end where we will have the pits and staging area.
One of those large paved areas that was vacant at that picture time is now a parking lot for everything from Hummers through 155mm Mobile Howitzers belonging to the Maine National Guard for in case we get invaded by Canada.
Hang in there on the accommodations Q's, we are working on all that. There is readily fooding and motels in the area, nearby Caribou and the larger farther Presque Isle.
Distances/time similar to Maxton/Laurinburg.
BOB , tour Guide, promoter, funster, W

Offline sabat

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 07:51:31 PM »
Hey Entropy, fancy seeing you here.  :cheers:

I'm thinking seriously about heading up to Loring myself, hopefully with Leslie and the pooch. A quick 1500 mile trip, chump change, and I have some places in New England I should visit.

Dean

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:20:27 PM by sabat »

Offline entropy

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 04:45:30 AM »
  Don't forget your A liscence card from Maxton and Texas. Maybe your Passport too, it does not look far from the border. Might be like going over to Tijuana!

Gary,
Are you thinking that Lower Portage, New Brunswick may have a Boys Town???   8-)

Offline entropy

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 04:53:25 AM »
Welcome to LR.com Karl, glad to hear you and Gary are going for sure (that cop car sure gets the miles man!).

I didn't realize there are two runways, it appears the left one is simply a taxiway, no?

Commuta...  Bob told me the runs will be South to North, just like Maxton. :cheers:
Todd

hey Todd & Deb!!

we Look fwd to seeing you & deb in Maine!
This is gonna be great; copcar is pretty good about eating miles (and gas), Dr Gary & I will have a nice lil road trip. Hopefully #2 Son and Umbrella Girl will drop by.