Author Topic: 15" wheel / brake clearance issue  (Read 2646 times)

Offline redrock_2003

15" wheel / brake clearance issue
« on: January 13, 2009, 11:18:58 PM »
    I am in the process ordering 15" wheels (Stockton wheel) for the lakester that I am building. I am using a narrowed ford 9" housing and had planned on using Wilwood disc brakes. http://www.currieenterprises.com/CESTORE/Product596.aspx?id=1526  While discussing my plans with an LSR veteran I was told that I may not be able to set the brakes inside the wheel due to clearance issues. (FYI The rears have a 3 1/4" back spacing) Has anyone experienced a similar problem? If so is there a smaller brake kit that would work? Thank you in advance for the help. :?

Dave

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: 15" wheel / brake clearance issue
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 11:21:42 PM »
The STOCK drum brake is very aero----use metalic shoes if stopping is a issue---use the smallest piston size in the master cyl.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 11:57:08 PM »
The drum brakes are the most aero for an open wheel, if thats not what your looking for, look for some super speedway calipers by any of the brake manufactures on EBAY.  They would have the smallest foot print.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline jl222

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 02:47:30 AM »
  Wilwood should know, ask them, their the experts. We run disk brakes on 15'' offset rims but its a close fit, glue on wheel weights get scraped off.

Good luck JL222

Offline redrock_2003

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 11:13:02 AM »
Thanks guys... I have talked to Wilwood and they stated that I need 14.06" of clearance for the disc brakes. The problem was that I couldn't get an exact number from the wheel manufacturer. That is due to the fact that wheel tapers down slightly from the outer rim lip to the center. The wheels should be here with in the next 2 weeks and I will just have to measure them myself. Worst case I can use the drum brakes. Thanks again for the help :-D

Offline jdincau

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 01:17:36 PM »
Depending on the amount of interferance a spacer might solve the problem. On my roadster with Willwood calipers the centered steel wheels fit fine but I had to make a 1/8 inch spacer for the Ken Huff aluminum wheels.
Jim
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!