Author Topic: Motorcycle Oil Cooler  (Read 4584 times)

Offline Jerry O

Motorcycle Oil Cooler
« on: January 13, 2009, 11:18:11 PM »
I have a question for some of the motorcycle guys or gals.  I am running a near stock ZX10R engine in my I/GS. I have moved the oil filter, oil cooler combo from the engine to a new location on the chassis. I did this to give me more room for the headers.  I did this by making a plate that bolts to the block with an lines going over to a new remote billet oil filter mount.  What I would like to do is not run a oil cooler if possible. Will this be a problem. Has anyone run there engine without a oil cooler. The only reason I want to do this is because the car is very small and not much room for the cooler. One thing to keep in mind is the engine is near stock for now but my plans are to start building for more HP in the near future. Most of my running will be at the Maxton mile but hope to run Bonneville when I build a real motor. Any info on this will be a great help.   Thanks!

landracing

Re: Motorcycle Oil Cooler
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 11:28:55 PM »
Sorry, If there is room for one on a bike, then theres room for one in a car....

I dont run one only because I dont think I need it, not because of a room issue.. And that is on a Turbo bike also....

Many dont run them, some do... It's more of a personal choice... If you have relocated the filter with additional lines, then thats more oil capacity and should be fine.... should just run a thermocouple in the oil and see how hot it is getting... To hot add a oil cooler... Not hot,, then your done....

If its a Maxton vehicle like you state, I would say forget it....

Jon

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 12:10:34 PM »
Thanks Jon for the info. You are right. I do have room for a cooler but it is close. I like to keep things simple if possible. I look at it this way. If I don't need it, I don't want it on the car. Just one more item that can fail. Its good to know that you run a turbo and still don't need a cooler. My plans are to go turbo next year. I will forsure take your advise and check a eye on the oil temps. I have tons of race car experience but very little motorcycle. Thanks again for your info.

Jerry

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 02:48:01 PM »
Try a Mocal Laminar flow oil cooler (oil to water) if size is the concern.but if it dont get too hot and it aint running for too long it could be fine,I put big ones on its the life blood of the motor but that could be me being over cautious.
Cheers Oz
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline joea

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 08:41:23 PM »
Jerry, what year zx10 engine..?

I run a late 80's (88-90)style zx10 engine....with OIL HEATER (turbo),
for 5 miles at Bonn......no oil cooler...no worries... for
me anyway.....

« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 08:58:57 PM by joea »

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 11:30:24 PM »
Joe's motor is out in the breeze so it can dissipate heat pretty quick... a motorcycle motor enclosed in a liner will bake pretty quick.... think twice about blocking off the oil cooler on a kawi zx motor the Kawi motors have 2 oil pumps in them the second pump's job is to push oil unrestricted and unregulated through a cooler and back into the sump to be picked up by the main pump and regulated through a pop off valve to lube the rest of the motor... i speak from experience... i have seen over 170 psi through the cooler pump and this is after i popped a couple pressure gauges trying to figger out why i was blowing the coining out of the oil filters.... i would recommend a curved oil cooler out of an 88to94 Suzuki GSX 750 Katana... not a GSXR but a GSX Katana, they are a huge oil cooler and the curvature might fit inside a liner well...good luck
Kent

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 07:43:47 PM »
Thanks for the info JOEA. My engine is a 2006 model.  The oil cooler on this engine is not like your standard cooler. It is just a small round tank that the oil runs through. The oil is cooled by coolant water furnished by the water pump. Naturally there are two separate compartments to keep the oil and water separated.  1212 FBGS, do all the Kawasaki engines have two oil pumps. Looking at my ZX10 manual I don't remember seeing two. I will look a little closer now that you mention it. I have allready moved the oil filter and done away with the stock cooler. Will it be ok to just put one of the coolers you mentioned in line with my new oil lines. My car is air tight so as you said, I may have a problem.  I quess I will start looking at installing one.  Thanks again for the info .

Offline sabat

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 08:33:51 PM »
No second pump on the newer ZX10s. The oil coolers on these bikes are primarily for hard use over fairly long periods of time, such as roadracing, so I would guess that you will be fine without it. I removed mine, although mine is an unfaired bike. I know of street / drag ZX10s that removed the oil cooler and have no issues on the street. Best way of course is to put an oil temp gauge on it and log, or watch it. -Dean

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 09:45:22 PM »
Thanks Dean for the info on the oil cooler since I had allready removed mine and also built the headers that would crash if I had to put the cooler back on. I will for sure be running a temp gauge. You plan on going to Maxton In April. I would like to meet up with you and check out your bike.  I plan on bringing the streamliner with out the body just to have the tech guys go over it.  Thanks again.... Jerry