Author Topic: New Book-Weather for Motorsports  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
New Book-Weather for Motorsports
« on: January 13, 2009, 07:17:30 AM »
Patrick Hale (www.dragracingpro.com) has a new book out on weather. John Beckett and I used his BonnevillePro program with great success from '99 thru 2001 so I bought the book before Christmas. As far as I'm concerned, Patrick has another winner. He covers all aspects of weather, with great definitions.  The book is written on drag racing but weather is, well, just weather!!! Definitely for the geek!!!

joe
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: New Book-Weather for Motorsports
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 12:44:47 PM »
Definitely for the geek!!!

Definitely not for the geek!!! If you are not tracking the weather you are not making horsepower.

It's not about the weather, it's about the amount of oxygen that is available to the engine.

Hotter temperatures expand the air and make less available to the engine. Higher altitude does the same thing. Humidity displaces the air.

Knowing how much oxygen is available at the start of the run allows you to match the fuel to the oxygen.

If this is all new to you, buy the book and buy a weather station. El Mirage and Bonneville make the current density altitude available on request, but there is nothing like having the information at your fingertips.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.