Author Topic: Aussie Invader 5R Australian Rocket Car 1000mph ALSR Challenger  (Read 10429 times)

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

Aussie Invader 5R Australian Rocket Car 1000mph ALSR Challenger
« on: January 11, 2009, 10:09:43 PM »
 Australian ALSR team
http://www.aussieinvader.com/

This team has little info about there progress on there Rocket powered 1000mph effort. The 300,000hp LOX/JP5 rocket we hope to see some real time pictures of the design and in depth info soon

Interesting cartoon they have
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 11:17:53 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

Re: Australian ALSR 1000mph Challenger
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 10:26:24 PM »
 Space Daily News

Info on the Australian rocket car
http://www.spacedaily.com/news/rocketscience-05a.html
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 11:17:15 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 10:41:58 PM »
 John Ackroyd

Aussie Invader LOX/JP5 rocket car designer
http://www.solarnavigator.net/john_ackroyd.htm

AUSSIE INVADER ROCKET CAR
http://www.bluebird-electric.net/aussie_invader.htm
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 10:55:29 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 09:01:30 PM »
MEGABOOM

Liquid Oxygen JP5 Water Cooled rocket engine
http://www.aussieinvader.com/AI5R.html

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 07:22:51 PM »

Space Dev (Past news)
http://spacedev.com/print_press.php?id=79

Aussie Goes for Rocket-Powered World Land Speed Record, SpaceDev Expected
Rosco McGlashan, the “Fastest Aussie on Earth” will attempt to become the fastest man in the world by exceeding 900 mph in his new rocket powered Aussie Invader race car. McGlashan announced that he is engaged in ongoing design discussions for the world's fastest car with rocket motor developer SpaceDev (OTCBB: SPDV) of Poway, California, and with car designer John "Ackers" Ackroyd of the Isle of Wight.

In 1997, McGlashan was awarded the Order of Australia Medal for driving a jet-propelled car to a speed of 642 mph. McGlashan announced that he will attempt to set a new World Land Speed Record in a car propelled by a rocket motor which he expects to be provided by SpaceDev. SpaceDev recently provided the critical rocket motor propulsion technology for the history-making SpaceShipOne in its winning of the $10 million Ansari X Prize on October 4, 2004.

“This is an exciting once-in-a-lifetime adventure that I have been looking forward to for most of my life,” said McGlashan. “The only way these speeds can be accomplished is with the power produced by a rocket motor, and the only rocket motor I trust and that has a successful track record is the rubber-burning hybrid rocket motors developed by SpaceDev, and that is why I have selected SpaceDev and Ackers, pending project funding.”

SpaceDev has provided preliminary conceptual designs and analyses of high thrust rocket motors equivalent to 200,000 hp. McGlashan said he intends to put SpaceDev under contract to develop and deliver the rocket motors, immediately upon raising initial funds for this project. SpaceDev's non-exploding rocket motors use inert synthetic rubber as the fuel, and to make the rubber burn, the motors use nitrous oxide (N2O), commonly known as laughing gas, as the oxidizer. Several months ago, McGlashan approached SpaceDev to design, build, test and integrate the world’s largest rocket motor of its kind into the race car in a facility near SpaceDev’s headquarters.

“I am very proud that Rosco approached SpaceDev to determine the feasibility of powering the world's fastest car, and that he intends to contract with us to design and provide the rocket motors for his race car,” said Jim Benson, SpaceDev’s founding chairman and chief executive. “I love a challenge, and this would be a really fun application for SpaceDev’s unique rocket motors. We are seriously investigating this opportunity, and are assisting Rosco in his fund-raising efforts. We recently helped create the world’s first private sector astronauts, and now we have been asked to help Rosco become the world’s fastest man!”

The 16, 000-pound race car is expected to be designed by John “Ackers” Ackroyd of the Isle of Wight. Ackers designed the World Land Speed Record setter Thrust 2 which “stopped the clocks” at 633 mph in 1983 at Black Rock in Nevada. Ackers has also worked with the Aussie Invader Team for many years as well as several hot air balloon projects and countless special projects where a fast thinking, no nonsense engineer is mandatory.

The project is expected to take three years and cost less than (US) $10 million. McGlashan is busy planning the design and development of the Aussie Invader and its rocket motor with Ackers and SpaceDev, and has mounted a money raising campaign to obtain the necessary funding for the project. Sponsors and contributors are being sought from throughout the world for this highly visible, challenging, and history-making attempt. More information can be found at www.aussieinvader.com.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 07:27:35 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 08:12:13 PM »

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 06:12:37 PM »

Well a slight update if any

Seams they changed paint graphics and max rocket HP Rosco McGlashan OAM, are building their new Land Speed Record vehicle featuring 200,000 horses of N20 / JP5 rocket power. Looks like the 300,000hp LOX/JP5 changed and dropped in hp hope to see real time photos of the aero design and chassis design so far nothing. They did add a video of there old car to there main web site home page

http://www.aussieinvader.com/
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 07:25:52 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
Re: Aussie Invader 5R Australian Rocket Car 1000mph ALSR Challenger
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 10:17:14 AM »
If the new image is any indicator and they now have Red Bull backing, I can only assume that they have more then enough funding to get very serious with this car. Red Bull doesn't mess around and only aligns themselves with successfull athletes, events, etc.

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 08:36:10 PM »
If the new image is any indicator and they now have Red Bull backing, I can only assume that they have more then enough funding to get very serious with this car. Red Bull doesn't mess around and only aligns themselves with successfull athletes, events, etc.

Aussie Invader

Yes Red Bull is a great sponsor I see color changes and Sponsor changes a lot but no design photos. The NAE and Bloodhound both keep you up to date with real life pictures and in depth info. I just hope we see something soon on design and chassis and more on the rocket engine

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 12:31:46 AM »
   We've sent proposals and even met with several of the  "Energy Drink" guys and came very close but it seems they want immediate attention. They don't want next year or the year after, they want NOW! I'd be surprised if any of the energy drink companies help any of us.
Ed

dwarner

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 10:44:19 AM »
When making a sponsership proposal it is not uncommon to pre-paint your vehicle in the company colors before pitching your needs.

Look at Kenny Bernstein. He used this trick when he approached Budweiser and it has lead to a 30 year relationship.

Mike Manghelli painted his truck like a WD40 can. Did he do it for sponsership or was the only paint in the garage?

DW

Robin UK

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 12:27:25 PM »
Same deal here in the UK. I know of two major lsr projects (neither of which was BloodhoundSSC btw) who were turned away by Red Bull. Both went straight to the top and I pitched one of them. I allowed myself a wry smile when they said they were concentrating their funding on support for up and coming youngsters instead. That'll be all the 15 year olds in the Red Bull Air Races then!! A straight no would have been fine. I've been turned away by more important people than them  8-) Well done to Rosco if he has pulled them.

Cheers

Robin

Offline Graham

• Fluids Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Projects - FLIP
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 09:04:50 PM »
Like I'm sure every other mug trying to organise an event these days, I also went to Red Bull Australia asking for what would be peanuts compared to what Rosco will need to fund his car. I was told, much like Robin was, that they had already committed their budget to supporting up and coming blah blah. They are a stand-alone organisation responsible for their own Australian budget, which appears to be relatively small. A paper airplane comp at universities, a birdman comp, a couple of V8 super car drivers and.... hmm.

Anyway, they did offer me free Red Bull. Not sure if the Aussie Invader team can configure the rocket to run on that. Still, if anyone can talk them into it, it's Rosco!

I wonder if the days (were there such days in the first place?) of such high-profile high-goal LSR teams obtaining a "major" sponsor are over. It certainly seems like Bloodhound is sniffing down a more Obama-esque route of small donations from as many sources as possible. Getting into every other school in the country is going to be a clever move in that respect.
Graham Doig
Fluids Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Projects - www.thinkflip.net
Aerospace Engineering Department
California Polytechnic State University