Author Topic: bike question  (Read 12300 times)

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
Re: bike question
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 07:40:35 PM »
Todd (Narider) went 154 mph on a rigid sportster at Maxton in "06 ... He can tell how it went and the surface wasn't as good as it is now ... JD

Joe,
Although I rode that bike quite a few times I've only been in the upper 130's on it. It's Dad Land's bike and he went 154 on it in 2002 actually (and on fire in the traps at that -  :-D). The bike handled fine, ran straight and stuck to the track fairly well. Also take into consideration that Franey's bike at the same nominal speed was not so comforting for him.

Nefareous,
As Scott said, Leo's bike is said to have stuck to the track fine but is also said to have gave him some serious white knuckles making "the turn" (it was more of a turn and extremely narrow back then). Surely this was due to his square tire and heavy rake of the bike, not his rigid frame.

So the setup of the frame, just how "rigid" it is (some flex is necessary of course), and certainly tire pressures will be the deciding factor of how it handles on acceleration portion of the track. I doubt square drag tires will ever be alllowed back to Maxton (remember, Leo is a very seasoned rider and as Scott mentioned, he has not returned after his multiple runs that year). We have bikes at the track that run in the 240mph-260mph range at almost every meet... use legal and proven rubber, there's no sense in redesigning the tire.

By the way(FYI), there has not been a Harley go 200mph at Maxton since that time, and there are MANY metric bikes (Hayabusas, ZX-12's and ZX14's included), that have not reached the speed that Harley did over a decade ago.
Todd

'not so comforting for him?'

anyway, i was cut off the mainframe at the library; wanted to add that it
could have been my setup among other things.

many times i don't read the threads till i get home w/ the
printouts.

franey
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 07:53:20 PM by saltwheels262 »
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 08:29:55 PM »
Nef-
If the Z1 motor is stock it was rated at 85 hp ... Mild hop up they are not the rocket ships that the newer ZX/GSXR-s are.  That is a 150 mph machine -more engine mods more top speed. I went 165mph on a turbo Z1 laydown frame at Raceway Park some years back ... rock steady at speed even with the crappy Firestone soft side wall car slick on the back and a front tire that was H speed rated ... I was ignorant about tires back then but the Lord protects children and fools. I would use Z rated bike tires front and rear. Incidentally, my garage is worse.
Joe

Offline TLS750

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 12:11:30 AM »
Nefareous,

I've seen the likes of 160+ on my 'Busa tricycle plenty of times.  In order to prevent it from bouncing over sideways, it has a rigid suspension and it has never failed to scare the bejeezus out of me every single run.  Granted that may be due to the jarring effect of the sidecar rig, the tremendously bouncing and buffeting down the track, or the inability to focus your eyes at that speed when your riding a hopped up log wagon across a mile long cattle guard.  Regardless, I certainly wouldn't recommend a rigid frame anywhere near 150.  There is a reason the big Harley has been back and it's probably the same reason my sidecar rig makes one run a weekend then goes back on the trailer.  Keep in mind, Safety First!

Tom Schaefer
#169, 699, 724

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 01:19:31 AM »
Nefareous,

I've seen the likes of 160+ on my 'Busa tricycle plenty of times.  In order to prevent it from bouncing over sideways, it has a rigid suspension and it has never failed to scare the bejeezus out of me every single run.  Granted that may be due to the jarring effect of the sidecar rig, the tremendously bouncing and buffeting down the track, or the inability to focus your eyes at that speed when your riding a hopped up log wagon across a mile long cattle guard.  Regardless, I certainly wouldn't recommend a rigid frame anywhere near 150.  There is a reason the big Harley has been back and it's probably the same reason my sidecar rig makes one run a weekend then goes back on the trailer.  Keep in mind, Safety First!

Tom Schaefer
#169, 699, 724

Tom,

Wait until you run over 200 on your sidecar, it gets real fun...

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 09:35:06 AM »
Tom, I have a pic of you in my Maxton photo gallery, getting ready for your run. After reading your description of the ride, I can see why the concentration is necessary! It must be wild :-o

Randy
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

bak189

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 10:32:38 AM »
If you guys used a passenger in the sidecar the outfit would certainly be more stable................,

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 11:13:13 AM »
If you guys used a passenger in the sidecar the outfit would certainly be more stable................,

Bob,

Tom has been 160+ with his stock engine, normally aspirated Hayabusa sidecar in one mile..I seem to remember you have a Turbo Hayabusa sidecar and run at Bonneville on a longer course with a passenger..how do the two compare..

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 03:36:17 PM »
Tom can tell you that the real adventure with the sidehack starts when you let off after the mile ... Joe

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
I believe that    :-D :-o :-o :-D

bak189

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 05:56:59 PM »
I will not get into a long discussion, regarding
bolting a 3rd wheel unto a standard M/C chassis
thus making it a "sidecar"  they can be a real handfull and at time just flat dangerous.............
John N. has done a masterfull job with his
"wheel on a stick" and he should be commended
for making it work so well at the great speeds he has achieved.............................................................

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 06:23:51 PM »
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeel ona steeeeek   :cheers:  :mrgreen:  :cheers: :cheers:

Offline nefareous

• New folks
Re: bike question #3
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 06:37:55 PM »
Ok, I thank everyone for their feedback regarding my vintage dragbikes. I will definitely get the best speed rated tires I can for the front & back. As for the hard-tail frame there is really nothing to be done..as Russ Collins did not build too many, and that why I have started collecting them. They were world record bikes in their day,and it would be a shame just to let them sit. *However, my next stupid question is...(drum roll): If the subject is now on scary sidecar racers...why havent I seen any trike racers? Are they even more dangerous or what?

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 06:42:33 PM »
Most sanctioning bodies do not permit trikes from competing ... motorcycles have wheels in line ... side car motorcycle is 2 wheels in line one offset ... Joe

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 07:16:05 PM »
Willies friend Ed Ramsey has ran a trike at El Mirage and Bonniville in 08 for time only. A trike is much more stable than a sidecar rig . Some of the fastests vehicles ever are trikes.   

Sheri Buchta

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 07:42:31 PM »
Willies friend Ed Ramsey has ran a trike at El Mirage and Bonniville in 08 for time only. A trike is much more stable than a sidecar rig . Some of the fastests vehicles ever are trikes.   

Sheri Buchta

Better tell that to all of the kids (and adults) that broke their necks and died on Honda ATC's..if they were that safe they would still make them..oh wait they can't..why..? Because they were found to be unsafe..I would hate to see Madison on one however would not feel as worried for her on a four wheeler of the same displacement.

I do agree we have had some fast Jet powered 3-wheelers  :-o

Below is a snippet from Robert Bennett Attorney at Law.

According to the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission ("CPSC") statistics, over 340,000 hospital-emergency-room treated injuries had been associated with ATV's by 1987. During the same time period, over 1,000 deaths were associated with ATV's. Almost half of these deaths were of children under 16 years of age and approximately 20 percent were of children under 12 and younger.