Author Topic: engine location  (Read 5978 times)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Re: engine location
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 03:53:06 PM »
You could always put a spark plug in the water pump -- but I'd bet Dan would figure that out.

Stan

You think?

'cuz that would sure make things easy for me! :evil:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline fastman614

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 12:01:55 AM »
We had a problem understanding this rule 35 years ago and it was not until somebody..... if I recall correctly, it was JD Tone.... pointed out that IT IS NOT IN RELATION TO THE ORIGINAL POSITION OF THE ENGINE.... THE ORIGINAL POSITION OF THE ENGINE IS NOT RELEVANT.... it is only from the criteria included in the book.... if you have a 100" wheelbase car, the setback is a maximum of 2" BEHIND the front axle centerline.... being that we were allowed a 2" body stretch (similar to NHRA pro stock rules and which put us into Altered-where 25% setback was allowed)... it all went out the window for us anyway... but boy do I remember the snail mail exchange!!!!! and you would think that, after all these years, (and NHRA having similar rules too) that the definition of setback would have been made clearer....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 12:21:13 AM »
For Altered class my rule book says 2% body stretch (not 2") in front of the fire wall.

It also says engine set back is maximum of 25% of the wheel base per Section 4.AA

Page 42, 4.AA of the 2010 rule book states........

The feature of a car is represented by the formula D/WB where D is the distance measured from the front spindle transverse centerline to the front-most spark plug hole or centerline of the front most cylinder on compression ignition engines and WB is wheelbase.

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline fastman614

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 12:42:44 AM »
For Altered class my rule book says 2% body stretch (not 2") in front of the fire wall.

It also says engine set back is maximum of 25% of the wheel base per Section 4.AA

Page 42, 4.AA of the 2010 rule book states........

The feature of a car is represented by the formula D/WB where D is the distance measured from the front spindle transverse centerline to the front-most spark plug hole or centerline of the front most cylinder on compression ignition engines and WB is wheelbase.

Yes that is exactly what it says.... the 2" was because the car was 100" wheelbase.... you gotta give me some slack here .... these discussions were over 30 years ago!

As you correctly point out in the word for word rendition of the setback rule, the criteria for its determination is there.... only thing is ....many of us assumed that you arrived at a number from that formula and then you SET YOUR ENGINE BACK THAT MANY INCHES FROM THE ORIGINAL STOCK LOCATION.....

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 08:08:39 AM »
been there done that  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 10:06:11 AM »
IIRC, JD that told me that if you change from a bbc to a sbc using the same mounts, the set back to the spark plug will be different. Legal with a bb will give too much with a sb.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline dw230

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 01:28:45 PM »
"many of us assumed that you arrived at a number from that formula and then you SET YOUR ENGINE BACK THAT MANY INCHES FROM THE ORIGINAL STOCK LOCATION....."

In that case many of you made the wrong assumtion.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline fastman614

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 06:56:28 PM »
Yes, Dan, you are absolutely correct....