Author Topic: turbo motor build  (Read 88240 times)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: turbo motor build
« Reply #165 on: May 30, 2009, 11:27:48 PM »
nutz of those 10"s of thousands of busa motor building people....how many have built big turbo motors that have run for more than 10 seconds?..... your head will heat, your ported seats will shift, and your valves will pound them where ever they like..... and after they cool back down they wont be in love any more..... good luck......
Kent
PS... i build other brands also

McRat

« Reply #166 on: May 31, 2009, 10:54:17 AM »
The way I read it the advice that was given wasn't due to boost or back pressure....

DOH!  Sorry I guess I read it wrong.  Wouldn't the first time.  Sadly, it probably won't be the last.

I wasn't trying to slam anyone, just giving my experience, which isn't even based on the engine in question.

McRat

« Reply #167 on: May 31, 2009, 11:25:41 AM »
nutz of those 10"s of thousands of busa motor building people....how many have built big turbo motors that have run for more than 10 seconds?..... your head will heat, your ported seats will shift, and your valves will pound them where ever they like..... and after they cool back down they wont be in love any more..... good luck......
Kent
PS... i build other brands also

Didn't intend to ruffle feathers Kent, and from what I hear (all good) you've got some very serious experience.

My experience is pretty limited to just blowing stuff up and melting things.  :-D

And I get to start with an engine that was designed to sustain 1350 F EGT's and 22psig boost for hours, and I still break them. 

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #168 on: May 31, 2009, 12:45:19 PM »
I've watched this thread progress. Johnny, is it possible that your "knowledge" might come from folks who have never been involved in endurance type racing?
Read between the lines. Kent is not busting your balls he's leading you to water.

JMO as Kent & I do not know each other

Yeah most people are 1320' runners and I will full on acknowledge there are some differences in building engines that are more suited for each application. I have a few "go to" guys that have built LSR and run busa engines that know the differences and I can get a straight answer from.....and I feel the info is a good as it gets.

The problem is when I dont ask the right questions!

I never thought KR was busting my hotnuts, and while is has a "pet the cat backwards" way of delivering info at times, the truth is that I like Kent and KNOW that he is trying to be helpful. 

Make no mistake....even when I dont agree 100% with something someone (KR or other) says I still research it to find out if there is any viability.

Truth is.....
Looking into shimming the springs

~JH

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 12:48:48 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline bak189

« Reply #169 on: May 31, 2009, 01:33:16 PM »
Make it easy for yourself, and contact Kibblewhite and get some springs made......they know what they are doing...and have been doing it since WAY back....I used their products in my 350c.c. CB Honda roadracer in the early 1960's..........(shimming can cause coil- bind)
Question authority.....always

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #170 on: May 31, 2009, 04:23:28 PM »
Kibblewight will listen to you and will give you the best stuff...... Will has been a friend and supporter of my projects for almost 20 years....one of my "go to" guys when i design a motor..... all except the last motor.....
kent

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #171 on: May 31, 2009, 04:25:32 PM »
nutz
i"m always helpfull.... its just weather you can handle the ball bustin while im helpin.... :-D
kent

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #172 on: June 03, 2009, 12:09:02 PM »
JH,

Thanks for posting your engine build, this has been a very informative thread. I appreciate that you shared the block prep work including the coveted oil gallery modifications.

Thanks to John Noonan and Kent Riches for offering their vast experience in turbo engines.

We have de-stroked a CBR600RR to run in the 500cc blown classes next year, all of this information will steer my project in the right direction.

-Scott
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #173 on: June 03, 2009, 03:59:15 PM »
ya gotta watch the cam timing with a de-stroker Scott....
kent

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #174 on: June 03, 2009, 09:50:21 PM »
About 30+ years ago I tried to put a small airplane turbocharger on a Honda 450.  It did not work.  I asked questions from our local experts and they said I was an idiot, but they began to talk among themselves about the subject.  I listened carefully and still remember what they said to each other.

One mentioned heat buildup and valve seat and valve problems.  He paid particular attention to removing metal during porting in areas that were not critical for conducting heat from the seats to the head.  He said he would "splay" the ports.  In the context of what they were discussing, this meant the port would be opened in an area where there was plenty of metal to dissipate the valve seat heat.

The topic of porting and compression was discussed.  A fellow said that the blower did the work and it was not necessary to radically port the engine or build in high compression.  He said a low compression engine becomes a higher compression one with a blower.

Cam timing and overlap were discussed.  It was mentioned that shorter valve opening durations leave the valves in contact with the seats longer, they have more time to dissipate heat, and they stay cooler.  Overlap was a bad thing, the blower would push fuel/air mixture into the chamber and out the exhaust.  Increased lift was better than greater overlap.

These folks built different engines for blowers than they did for naturally aspirated ones.  This may be old and out of date thinking, but it makes sense.   

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #175 on: July 01, 2009, 10:15:11 PM »
The motor runs!!!
It would only run for a minute before it would die and it wasnt until I checked the vacuum line map that I found that the check valve was in the wrong place.....

Funny now something so small can make such a big diff!

Thought that the 8:1 CR would make it run bad without boost....seems to run very good even without it and with cheap gas.

I now have to figure out how to wire up this crap....
Ya wouldnt think it would be hard but....

I opted for a "more suited" turbo.

This is a precision 5857 billet. The compressor side is still big but the turbine side is waaay smaller. Should make more HP and more friendly development from lower in the rpm range.

I am having Richard from RCC build a plenum…..I decided that I didn’t want to keep messing around with fitments and probs in the final hour.

It should be here any day.

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #176 on: July 01, 2009, 10:26:16 PM »
JH looks great, hope you post a video with sound when dyno or crank and run it up a bit.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #177 on: July 02, 2009, 10:18:56 AM »
JH, how much boost are you going to put in it?
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #178 on: July 03, 2009, 11:56:26 AM »
JH, how much boost are you going to put in it?

I opted for the 3 bar microtek and have enough fuel for 500 hp.
Thinking now I sould of got the 4 bar and 700 hp pump (for future).

I am going to have 2 maps, one for 22 psi and the other for 28.
We should be able to get it done with 22 but if the motor needs more juice I will crank it till it goes or blows.

:-D

*Andres Segovia

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #179 on: July 03, 2009, 04:26:57 PM »
JHN,
I like your plan!!!

"We should be able to get it done with 22 but if the motor needs more juice I will crank it till it goes or blows."

Rex

Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.