Author Topic: PG w/valve  (Read 4180 times)

Offline rustyT

PG w/valve
« on: January 04, 2009, 09:31:04 PM »
Is anyone using a powerglide trans with a valve in LSR, we have used them in other race cars and they have worked really well. We have been to the Salt twice and had trans problems both times. I would like to think if we go back, we can go without trans problems again. In my car we dont have room for a 5 speed trans and the clutch pedal has always been a pain.The first trans we went with was a t-10 and it locked up on the 3rd run at 173mph. The second trans was a toploader ford and all gears are taken out except 3rd and 4th gear,shortly after push-off on the first run, it stripped the teeth off the tailshaft, so Bushore trans said he could build a Powerglide to take the power and weight of my car, just wanted to know if anyone else were using them. By the way, the t-10 was full of Redline oil.I know there is other 4speed trans out there, but I dont  want to spend 3000-5000, and I dont want to buy a 700 dollar trans and have to go through it either.I have been there,done that.
Any help out there? Thanks,Phil.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: PG w/valve
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 09:39:41 PM »
Can you get a turbo 400 in it?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline rustyT

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 09:50:21 PM »
SPARKY
Theres no room for a turbo400 and the PG will be a squeeze.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 10:41:09 PM »
Is anyone using a powerglide trans with a valve in LSR, we have used them in other race cars and they have worked really well. We have been to the Salt twice and had trans problems both times. I would like to think if we go back, we can go without trans problems again. In my car we dont have room for a 5 speed trans and the clutch pedal has always been a pain.The first trans we went with was a t-10 and it locked up on the 3rd run at 173mph. The second trans was a toploader ford and all gears are taken out except 3rd and 4th gear,shortly after push-off on the first run, it stripped the teeth off the tailshaft, so Bushore trans said he could build a Powerglide to take the power and weight of my car, just wanted to know if anyone else were using them. By the way, the t-10 was full of Redline oil.I know there is other 4speed trans out there, but I dont  want to spend 3000-5000, and I dont want to buy a 700 dollar trans and have to go through it either.I have been there,done that.
Any help out there? Thanks,Phil.

In your car with the quick change I would gear to run the 175 to get to the long course and then change gears.  I think the 175 is probably do-able with the 2 speed on the short course,

Sum

Offline rustyT

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 10:53:17 PM »
Thanks Sum, Im thinking of changing the quick change out also, I guess I could take a couple center with the gears we picked out from your chart.
Thanks again,Phil

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 11:20:03 PM »
I am only thinking about the RPM dro---8000 falls back to low 4's---a 7.5 gm has a shorter pinion shaft and there is a "Short turbo 400 shaft that you would have to build a rear seal for to use with a yoke--much like a shorty glide.  it sticks out only about 2" with no housing.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline desotoman

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 12:17:39 AM »
I had the same problem with a lakester, I was building. No room for anything but a powerglide. Back at the time I found that Doug Nash made a neat two speed manual trans that also had a quick change gear in the rear of the trans. As I recall it was called the Doug Nash Quick plus 2. You could get it with a first gear from 1.6-1.2, with a 1-1 high. Then if you needed more gear in your rearend you could change out the quickchange gear in the rear of the unit. As I recall the unit was only 12 inches long. Cheap at the time at under $1000 new. Doug Nash got bought out by Richmond, you might give them a try if you are interested.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jmooer

• New folks
  • 64 funny cars 71 ocir
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 07:20:22 PM »
Rusty T Hello I ran a PG no convertor w/valve in my pavement mod bbc for over a year no problems. i would run it Giant Jim :cheers:

Offline racergeo

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 11:21:06 PM »
   Rusty, your in luck, I have ran a shorty glide (17") in my front wheel drive lakester with no problems at all. I run the TCI direct drive valve body and coupler and have taken it apart all four times I have been to BV. No wear. The first couple of time I ran a valve body that requires a cable to a pedal or lever but I switched over to the newer kind that uses a jet in the VB and requires nothing else. I just push off and put it in gear and go. The trans has a Planetary that is rated at 1200HP and it has a vasco input and all the good parts. Sparky is right about the RPM drop but my car is fairly light and still pulls good in high if you shift out of low at 8500. As for a good stick trans watch Ebay. You can score them under $2500 for a Jerico. I just got one for an altered I'm building with a 1.63 low gear. I kicked the wife out and now sleep with it!!! It sure shifts smooooth.

Offline jl222

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 11:39:37 PM »
I had the same problem with a lakester, I was building. No room for anything but a powerglide. Back at the time I found that Doug Nash made a neat two speed manual trans that also had a quick change gear in the rear of the trans. As I recall it was called the Doug Nash Quick plus 2. You could get it with a first gear from 1.6-1.2, with a 1-1 high. Then if you needed more gear in your rearend you could change out the quickchange gear in the rear of the unit. As I recall the unit was only 12 inches long. Cheap at the time at under $1000 new. Doug Nash got bought out by Richmond, you might give them a try if you are interested.

Tom G.

We ran one for years with no problems or wear in the 222 Camaro.

JL222

I just remembered we twisted off the input shaft but gears were always like new
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 11:45:27 PM by jl222 »