Author Topic: British official ALSR at 763.035mph there new Bloodhound SSC 1000mph effort  (Read 31743 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Ed, best wishes to you and your entire crew.  It's great to hear the progress you're making.  Keep up the reports, too.

And to everyone else on the Forum:  Ed's project is completely funded, you know, by the winnings one of his crew members received from the 50/50 at the N W Reunion. 

Okay, almost completely funded.

Well, if the truth be told, he won enough cash to at least pay off the rest of the crew so Mama didn't hear he had won.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

So this guy at work sees the picture of my motorcycle at work and I find out he is going to be at the El Mirage work week end. He tells another guy at work who comes over to talk to me and it turns out he's going to go to El Mirage also.

He's looking at the calendar and says that he's going to a rocket club meeting the week before. So we get to talking about rockets.

Turns out he knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows the guy that's making the solid rocket for the BloodhoundSSC.

And he has pictures. Sadly, the guy making the rocket doesn't want the pictures posted. The hybrid booster sections are massive! They looked to be about 20 inches in diameter and about 2 feet long. I don't know how long the full rocket is, but when you figure that every time they run the car they have to replace the rocket sections. There were a ton of sections in the pictures. They were mixing chemicals in what looked like an industrial bread mixer. He had a movie of a test firing of a single section. Whooo!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline rodracer

• New folks
It is interesting to me that they have chosen forged titanium for their wheels.  Aside from the exorbitant cost, it will be difficult to find a vendor to make the large forgings with proper process control.  Looking at the stress and the strength/density ratios of various materials, everyone on our team came to the conclusion that any metal was marginal over 800, while Breedlove's hybrid design had far higher margins.

Eric

The titanium wheels are a very high cost deal and as you say finding a vendor to make the forgings with proper process control may be difficult. Richard Noble has all resources and funding for his project advanced technology and science

I attended a Royal Society of Aeronautical Engineers lecture last week given by Mark Chapman here in Bristol UK where the Bloodhound will be built. Mark is the Chief Designer on the project.

The design of the wheels is now finalised & they will be manufactured here in Bristol at the local Rolls Royce factory, Rolls are a major sponsor of the project & will absorb the cost of the design & manufacture!

The level of sponsorship lined up for this effort includes the Ministry of Defence & makes even F1 look like a poor relation! For instance the MoD has made 3 Eurofighter Typhoon engines available to them along with a full support crew!

Interestingly the main team objective as stated by Mark is not to exceed 1000mph, but to generate interest in British schoolchildren between the ages of 6 & 10 to take up careers in maths, physics & associated engineering subjects. That is how they have managed to gain sponsorship from the government. 1050mph is the second objective.

Offline k.h.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Robin UK

Re: British official ALSR at 763.035mph there new Bloodhound SSC 1000mph effort
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2009, 05:31:53 AM »
Finalised design - jet now above rocket
Finalised build location - Bristol
Finalised run site - Hakskeen Pan South Africa

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/

Cheers

Robin

Offline Sam Green

« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2009, 11:04:03 PM »
I got to meet the team a few weeks back, it was a great day out.
I can't post pics but this link will take you to a thread on another forum where a mate posted pics.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60573.0

Sam. :cheers:

175cc Woodbridge Mile record holder 118.3mph

Blue

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2009, 03:53:37 AM »
Finalised design - jet now above rocket
Finalised build location - Bristol
Finalised run site - Hakskeen Pan South Africa
In reverse order...

Hakskeen Pan:  Nice playa.  Despite the BSSC surveys, I have seen the same hard conditions at DV as well as soft conditions that they observed.  It depends on season and drying conditions vs. the last flooding.  For reference, Elmo in March, 2008 was hard as a rock and we left virtually no tracks towing the Fossett car around:  I could push it with one hand (OK, I put some weight into it).  After 9 years with no flooding, we sank 3" into Black Rock in October, 2007 and needed a pickup running 30% throttle just to get un-stuck.

Bristol:  I applaud Richard for securing the use of a large and well built facility.  It certainly lends itself to visitors and educational opportunities, as well as having plenty of space for the build.

Jet-over-rocket:  Why are there 3 engines and an explosive monofuel (HTP) when one engine with no hypergolics would be safer, cheaper, and faster?

A side note: anyone interested in using HTP (high test peroxide) should research the database of accidents and safety issues associated with this rather dangerous substance.  I have personal experience with peroxide and it going off uncontrollably and unpredictably.

I wish the Bloodhound team and Andy in particular all the best of luck and hope for their safe success in their endeavors.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 04:54:11 AM by Blue »

Robin UK

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2009, 07:37:49 AM »
Eric,

good luck with your project as well. The fact that LSR projects aren't identikit racers like F1 or (whisper it in case Kent is reading) NASCAR, is one of the joys of this sort of challenge for me. I saw a picture of John Cobbs' Naiper Railton LSR car in a schoolbook when I was 4 and it was so different that I have been hooked ever since. As long as those involved are serious about addressing the safety issues as well as the performance issues then the more divergence of design the better as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers

Robin

Offline redrock_2003

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2009, 11:48:10 PM »
Here is a link to a neat article about the Bloodhound 1000 MPH effort.

http://www.nhra.com/blog/dragster-insider/