Author Topic: 4 Engine -- 2 Transmission Roll Around Stand.....  (Read 3811 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
4 Engine -- 2 Transmission Roll Around Stand.....
« on: January 01, 2009, 01:27:20 PM »
Well Ruth and I got back from our driving marathon first to LA and El Mirage and then to Conn. and back about a week and a half ago.  I've been very anxious to get back to work on the lakester, but first had to take care of a few loose ends.  Sparky and I both bought wrecked 98/99 chevy/gmc vans for their vortex engines, overdrive transmissions and other usable parts last year.  I had taken the engine and transmission out of Sparky's and down to him last year, but still had the body and frame.  Hooley wanted the front of the frame for a '47 or '48 COE (cab over engine) chevy he is building to haul the stude on a ramp back.  I wanted the rear of the frame for another project.  I got the body off of that one one down to a friend's junk yard and then got the frame stuck in all the snow there.  Hooley and a friend came the other day and we got it out of the snow and back to my shop and cut it in half and he headed back to OK with his parts.  

Right before he got here I had to pull the engine transmission from the other one so that I could give the transmission (4L60E) to a friend in exchange for a 4L80E he had.  My shop was getting crowded with other engines and transmissions I had around, so I decided to make a stand to free up some room.

I built this stand that stores 4 engines and 2 transmission in the space of 2 engines for about $125 in two days and thought that it might be something someone else might want to do, so I put the build pictures on my site..............

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/4%20Engine%202%20Trans%20Stand.html

I hope that these might help someone else that has the same problem.

Happy New Year,

Sum
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 01:39:50 PM by Sumner »

Offline desotoman

Re: 4 Engine -- 2 Transmission Roll Around Stand.....
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 01:54:11 PM »
Sum,

Looks great. Wish I could build one, but I don't dare living in earthquake country. All my engines are on ground level so they don't get damaged.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Geo

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 02:16:58 PM »
Wow, Sum, that looks great!  And just in time to add to my ideas.

I have been thinking along the same lines going for a two stack height holder.  I want to place the engine and trans on a dolly and also be able to use the engine holder for transport including the dyno runs.  Still working on the design in my head but about to put it on paper.  Modular in design so you can shift things around with an engine hoist, like stackable crates.  I will post my plans as I get further along.

Geo

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 06:17:41 PM »
....Wish I could build one, but I don't dare living in earthquake country..............

Hey with the wheels on the bottom you might be ok.  Just align them with the fault line  8-).  This thing seems extremely stable and not top heavy at all moving it around with the wide base.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »
Sum
Maybe the Cajun Kid will loan you his 40' X 60' shop plans and you can add on to yours. Actually the cart is a good idea, have seen a couple of versions in the past. Everything on wheels makes it easier to do things.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 11:48:48 AM »
Good job! The only thing in my shop that isn`t on wheels is the vert. mill . J.B. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.