Author Topic: rear wheel steering  (Read 22418 times)

Offline Freud

Re: rear wheel steering
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 12:12:56 AM »
It would probably be a race of the laptops.

I think the electronics now control everything.

You'd have to go back a few years to  get "good racing stock."

FREUD
Since '63

Offline desotoman

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 12:30:23 AM »
A/PIR  Production In Reverse.  :-D

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Freud

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009, 12:13:47 PM »
I forgot a VERY important part of "reverse."

One thing is the right side mirror. The inscription that says "objects are closer than they appear" is really important. If you plan an extended drive in reverse you need to sit and change gaze from one side to the other. The different image sizes are difficult to adjust to and location can be a problem. Bott dots and lane lines help as a guide to staying in your own lane. That mirror deal is tough. The center mirror and the drivers side mirror give a like perspective but the passengers side is a buggar.

Another thing is heat build up. Vesco asked me to take a fire bottle to the 7 mile marker and I started out in reverse. This was a Cadillac Seville. On the way to the Salt I had backed thru a construction zone for 3 miles and had no problem but the speed was only 35. (Flaggers freak out) At 3 miles the engine temp started up and continued to climb. I was only going 50 and I figured it would last. At 3 1/2 miles red lights came on. Shortly after that all the warning lights came on and the car lost it's snot. The efi and ignition were struggling and the CB antenna lost some of it's angle. Speed was reducing and the engine started to knock. I lost my balls and looped it and headed into the air. It took almost 3 miles for the instrument panel to lose it's flashing lights but the old girl settled down and was once again ready to haul blue haired ladies in luxury.

I had another problem with the Caddie. I wanted to remove some insulators from the remaining telephone poles but had no way to reach them. I went to one of the diesel truck crews and borrowed an extension ladder. The only way I could haul it was to put the rear windows down and slide it thru. These windows only went half way down, think luxury car and don't blow the blue hair, so the ladder was supported by glass. I stopped at Vesco's pit to borrow a wrench to remove the insulator mounting bolts. Vesco saw the unique hauling position of the ladder, jumped on the front bumper, ran up the hood, jumped on the roof and used the ladder as a diving board.  BLEW BOTH WINDOWS OUT. No problem.

When I took the car back to the rental place in SLC I drove up, removed my luggage and walked in the office. Yes, it's full and here's the mileage.  The clerk hollered at the lot lizard. " Hey, get that Cad washed up. There's a client waitin for it."  I told him that he would have to take the car out of service because the back windows wouldn't go up. No problem.

FULL COVERAGE was worth it that time.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 12:28:27 PM »
I have had no experience in a cross wind.

You are on your own in those conditions.

The speedos work fine in reverse, they do not remove miles from the  'odometer, and a
GPS doesn't care which direction you are going.

Everybody gives unlimited mileage anyhow.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 12:31:28 PM »
 I used to think I was pretty good backing up fast, 20mph, for long distances, 200 yards, but I can say I be a beginner by your standards. :cry:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2009, 12:55:12 PM »
Never tried it on the freeway, but here in Okanogan County, well Ed gave a pretty good description of it so no point in going there again. I only use the left mirror except for turns. The really tricky part is knowing when the turn is coming up. I've had a few close calls when it seems like other vehicles appear to come out of nowhere. We have to find things to amuse ourselves here on the reservation.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
Long story,short. Truck driver buddy delivered a piece of equipment to a co. in Canada. They were at the end of a dirt 2-track w/ no turn-around area. Had to back out w/ 53` low-boy trailer. 7 MILES. Yikes.  J.B.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Tom Simon

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2009, 04:00:40 PM »
The last time Chet Herbet's last car ran the driver climbed out about the two mike mark and said in effect "...this thing is going in the dumpster!!!!"

DW

Spike Gorr was the driver on that second pass... and that's almost verbatum what he said! I crewed on that car all weekend, and was in one of the chase cars... I've never seen Spike's eyes so wide as when he climbed out. Spike did say the car was later cut up.