Author Topic: rear wheel steering  (Read 22481 times)

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
Re: rear wheel steering
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 08:14:52 AM »
The late John Beckett built a front wheel drive / rear wheel steer Modified Roadster and attempted to run it at Bonneville in the '90's. It spun twice towing to the starting line. The car spun right off the starting line and SCTA banned the car right then. John did run the car at Maxton to 78 mph...pure white knuckle driving. The rear steering caster was adjusted from 15 degrees positive to 15 degrees negative in 2 to 3 degree increments to no avail. It just never handled correctly.

joe
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 11:26:18 AM »
"It spun twice towing to the starting line. "

Now that's got to get your attention!  And then try to make a run?  Got more Buicks than I have!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Blue

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 11:54:39 AM »
It's much more fun with the forklift! Come on, you haven't lived until you've done a speed wobble with a forklift!
ROTFLMAO!!!

Just remember the famous words of the professional:  "Do not try this at home..."

Blue

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 11:56:58 AM »
Blue, what book would that be?
Thrust.

It may be out of print, but I bet that Richard printed a bunch of copies before they launched Bloodhound.

Which, BTW, is a front wheel steering car!

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
Richard Noble's book
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 05:12:54 PM »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 01:44:34 PM »
Come on, you haven't lived until you've done a speed wobble with a forklift!

Yeah, but it's a long walk back to the foreman's office to request a second set of forklift keys. :roll:

Sure, if nobody gets hurt, everyone laughs it off a week later, but you're stuck with a new nickname -

Flipper.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 03:07:52 PM »
I never had to request a second set of keys.
But I have driven in circles with the forklift up on two wheels. :cheers:

Forklift = $10,000 +

Getting caught =  Many lost $$$

Curing Boredom = Priceless
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 04:14:19 PM »
I never had to request a second set of keys.
But I have driven in circles with the forklift up on two wheels. :cheers:

Forklift = $10,000 +

Getting caught =  Many lost $$$

Curing Boredom = Priceless

Why is it people like us do these things?  :-D  :-D

When I was younger it was raining at a former employer (Gale Banks) and we would blast out of the shop at full song on the forklift. As we hit the wet concrete we would turn the wheel hard and see how many donuts we could do.  :evil: 
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 12:35:47 AM »
To Hawkwind.
   Hey Mate, As you can see from all the other comments, you'd be better off spending your "dreamtime" in another direction. If you're set on doing a front wheel drive liner, (Pollywog style) take a look at Ken Walkey's  liner. Thats a pretty successful car, front wheel drive front wheel steer. I know there's some stuff on line about it, just google his name I think you'll find what you need. He also did the trip with us to Gairdner in 95 but had engine problems & didn't run too well.
  I seem to remember the 79 F100 4x4 I had when I lived in OZ had a 9" under the front, that would have to be a good candidate for the front of your liner, might have to narrow it up some. You can get used gears right up to 2.47 here in the US. I recently got a set of 2.50's off ebay for $65.00. 4x diesel Blazer's & Suburban's also come with a 2.73 or 2.56 gear, might be a little harder to find one of those down there but. A set of 2.50 gears & some 29" Mickey Thompson front runners are enough to get you into the 240mph range with enough horses. I hear Lynchy went over 300, good one.
  Speeking of rear steer, a few yrs ago at Bville I was heading back to the pit after a memorable trip to the green dunny when I spied a kinda-ruff yellow T roadster with a 9" in the front with no steering, that got my attension! I wandered around the back & found it had a ford twin I-beam under there, HOLY... In true Kiwi/Ozzie form I suggested he might want to turn the diff upsidedown & turn the seat around. He didn't take it well. I never have seen the car again, I'm pickin it didn't work too well.
  Have you ever backed ya car up at about 50mph mate?? Gets ugly doesn't it.  Sid.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 11:27:37 AM »
Twin I beam ford trucks wanted to wander around when on the right end of the vehicle. :-D
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 11:13:09 PM »
That's a fact!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 11:16:21 PM by kiwi belly tank »

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 11:29:24 PM »
I don't know if this was ever mentioned. But 2008 Rule book page 37 states the definition of an automobile. Nuf Said. Don't like it? find an organization that allows what you want to do or buy the time to porve it.

As for the Beckett roadster; at the time I was the chairman of the roadster committee and inspected the car with many other people. You all knew what happened by reading what's been said here. I knew there was a reason for not allowing it; I just could not find it. While towing home rereading the "book" I found that definition. I would have saved a lot of trouble along with the weeping and knashing of teeth had I found it the day of inspection. It still may have been allow to try a run anyway.

This book and what's written it has taken 60 years to evolve; many wise men have contributed to it. That definition of an automobile has been in for over 40 years...Again Nuf Said.............................................................................................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Freud

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 11:40:39 PM »
Your attention is well directed while driving in reverse on the Freeway. People in the next lane try to get your attention when the only place u need to look is in the rearview mirrors. It's a azz puckering deal when u have to negotiate the off ramp. It's also best to loop on the off ramp and head into traffic going the right way.
68 MPH is the best I have ever seen and it was in a Buick. A Cadillac went 67 but the rev limiter takes over. It's possible to "nurse a few extra "mph" by being very gentle on the throttle at the high end. If u just mash the pedal to the floor, the rapid engine speed increase wakes up the rev limiter.
You need to keep your knees together and use them as the steering dampner on your hands or the car gets squirrly. Use all three mirrors. It's unstable when you rotate your body and try to look out the back while cruzin' in reverse.
I haven't done it for a few years. I quit when Toyota's computer took over. Top speed was only 35 MH and then the car just slowed down, controlled by the computer. Throttle position had no effect.

Well, there's one more thing for my wife to find out about. That's why she doesn't go to the races with me.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2009, 12:04:26 AM »
Freud

It's replies like yours that have made you a legend!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2009, 12:08:23 AM »
Your attention is well directed while driving in reverse on the Freeway. People in the next lane try to get your attention when the only place u need to look is in the rearview mirrors. It's a azz puckering deal when u have to negotiate the off ramp. It's also best to loop on the off ramp and head into traffic going the right way.
68 MPH is the best I have ever seen and it was in a Buick. A Cadillac went 67 but the rev limiter takes over. It's possible to "nurse a few extra "mph" by being very gentle on the throttle at the high end. If u just mash the pedal to the floor, the rapid engine speed increase wakes up the rev limiter.
You need to keep your knees together and use them as the steering dampner on your hands or the car gets squirrly. Use all three mirrors. It's unstable when you rotate your body and try to look out the back while cruzin' in reverse.
I haven't done it for a few years. I quit when Toyota's computer took over. Top speed was only 35 MH and then the car just slowed down, controlled by the computer. Throttle position had no effect.

Well, there's one more thing for my wife to find out about. That's why she doesn't go to the races with me.

FREUD

I want to start a racing series. This sounds like a blast......
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...