Author Topic: CC Karmann Ghia  (Read 12623 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: CC Karmann Ghia
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 11:24:07 PM »
OH yeah!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline JohnLevie

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 01:12:27 PM »
Are there many LS based chevy engines running on the salt?  The 6.0 liter, 364 cu. inch looks like it would be a pretty good starting point for us rookies.  And what about Tremec T56's.  That combination is easy to find, but will it work?  If we go that route, at least until we get some experience on the salt, we are planning on running it mostly stock, with the exception of the cam and a carb as opposed to fuel injection.
Here is another picture of the body.  We are getting close to having to make up our minds as far as running gear goes.

Offline Unkl Ian

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 03:28:38 PM »
Check the gear ratios on the T56,
I seem to remember 5th and 6th being overdrive.

Depends on your rear gear, and how many rpm you want to turn in the lights.

Nice looking car.
I guess the answer is "a Secret" .

Offline JohnLevie

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 01:07:17 AM »
More or less it's a question of durability.  They work well on asphalt, with 400 hp.  But what about 6th gear down the long course under 600 hp load.  Do they live?  Is anybody running a t56?

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 10:03:11 AM »
More or less it's a question of durability.  They work well on asphalt, with 400 hp.  But what about 6th gear down the long course under 600 hp load.  Do they live?  Is anybody running a t56?

For what you are going to spend on a t56 look at something like a G-Force where you can change 3 of the 4 gear ratios to what is best for the salt.  Personally I feel until you run over 275 at least that there is no advantage to running more gears than 4 unless you really have a very narrow power range and that wouldn't be the case with the LS motor.

c ya,

Sum