Author Topic: CC Karmann Ghia  (Read 12621 times)

Offline JohnLevie

CC Karmann Ghia
« on: December 31, 2008, 11:58:23 PM »
Well, this is the 1963 Karmann Ghia that we are building to run in the C/Gas C/C class.   We chopped it to 7” vertical windshield height and stretched 2 foot. We have started on the chassis, which in the front will have a Small Block Mopar, some kind of 4 speed, and a 9” in the rear with a Mustang II front suspension.  This is our first attempt at an LSR car, and I would appreciate any constructive criticism from all who wish to comment.
John Levie

Offline JohnLevie

Re: CC Karmann Ghia
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 12:39:09 AM »
Here are a couple more.
John Levie

Offline Freud

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 02:04:52 AM »
Racey looking little bugger..........

CONGRATULATION.

Keep posting.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 06:34:34 AM »
Very nice  :-D I will be keeping an eye out on this build
slower than most

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 09:58:09 AM »
Nothing wrong with a Mustang two front end but I was wondering if you considered a tube axle. I found it easier to work with.

dwarner

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 10:47:09 AM »
I agree with Rich. The Mustang II front suspension is a little over kill for the salt. The front end weight of the MII could be saved with a tube axle and converted to rear end weight for traction.

DW

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 12:36:13 PM »
John;

I run a modified Mustang II front suspension on a street car and a much- modified Mustang II front suspension on the BGMS that I'm building. Here are a couple of photos that might help:

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline JohnLevie

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 01:14:36 PM »
The only reason I was thinking about the Mustang II front end is because I am familiar with their set up. If there is a more effective method of front suspension, could I get a picture?  I am lucky to have such a group of people to lend me their years of experience.  Is corner weight jacking used on Salt cars?  If so, can you do this with a tube front end?  Or, are corner weights changed with spring weights.  Also, what kind of travel, if any is needed on the rear of a car like this.  The wheel base will end up around 122" and weigh around 3,000lbs minus lead, if it needs it.
Thanks,
John Levie 

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 01:56:39 PM »
I have a Heidt's Mustang II set up with manual rack on my 40 Ford. It solves a ton of problems, like steering box, links, shocks, etc ... It also installs easily ... the negative is the additional front end weight over a straight axle.

Joe

Offline RichFox

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 03:55:36 PM »
Never thought much about weight jacking on my alt coup. I have maybe 2 inches of compression on the rear axle. It is interesting that the Stay in School fuel roadster spun almost every time it set a tire on the salt, showed up this year without front or rear suspension and went arrow straight and ran record. I use a tube front axle with Econoline spindles and brakes. I don't like disk brakes as they usually drag some and who needs brakes on the salt anyway? But I do like front and rear brakes just because it feels right to me. I use a cross leaf spring with a dead mount on the right side to act as a  panhard rod. Ford steering box on the firewall with a drag link like a '32 Ford. Of course my engine is behind the axle. If yours is more forward you might want A arms. Mine is light, simple, goes straight, and takes up little room. It's inside but if it does see any air it's not as bulky as a Mustang two.

Offline JohnLevie

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 04:29:42 PM »
The engine behind the front suspension is going to be the case as well on this car.  Current plan for engine placement is still 10" in front of where the rules dictate.  Should I set it back the extra 10?  What is the desired weight proportions? As far to the rear as possible?  50-50 front to rear weight?  So many variables that are unlike any other form of racing, with endless options in between.
Another question-I see a few radiators out there, but a lot of people are running a coolant reservoir and no radiator.  Where can I find information on this set up?
Thanks,
John Levie

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 04:33:08 PM »
......... the negative is the additional front end weight over a straight axle..........

Might not be a negative if it is a fast car that is going to have weight added to it anyway.  Hooley has a modified MII and we have added over 2000 lbs. to the car's original 3000 lb. weight and half of that is going to the front to keep the CG ahead of the CP...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bville%20-%20LSR%20Thoughts-4.html

......... straight axles obviously work also, so I would just go with what would be easiest in your application.

c ya,

Sum

Offline RichFox

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 05:50:49 PM »
In my car I chose to use a Packard V8 engine which solved the weight forward problem. It pays to think out of the box. Actually the car isn't very heavy but due to areo it settles down to the bump stops after around 175. Never been squirrelly.  On my Stude Pickup I also am using a Mustang 2 because the engine is on top of the front and it's the best, cheap answer to space saving and lowering the truck. I could have done what Turner and Whitley did, but I am more comfertable with the Mustang 2. T&W works fine proving again there are many ways to skin a cat. Chose what you like and run it. I have a 9 gallon holding tank which has always been fine except when I had the turbocharged motor.

Offline JohnLevie

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 07:01:28 PM »
I chose a small block mopar simply because I have to many parts laying around not to use it.  In the center of the box I have to think in is where the wallet resides.  I hate budgets.  Thanks for the help.  I do appreciate it, and keep the suggestions rolling in. 
John Levie

Offline JohnLevie

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 10:50:44 PM »
We are getting closer.
John