Author Topic: SEAT MOUNTING  (Read 1890 times)

Offline dick elliott

SEAT MOUNTING
« on: December 30, 2008, 06:43:35 PM »
The rule book is not very clear on mounting the seat. In a production car with an uni-body (no real frame), where should you mount the seat? The roll cage would be best I'm sure, but I see many cars with what looks like the seat mounted to the sheet metal floorboards. Is the stock way of mounting ok? On an uni-body what other way is there? Thanks.
Its better to be a has been, than a never was.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: SEAT MOUNTING
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 07:48:12 PM »
Dick, here is what you need to do. Mount the seat so that when the tech inspector GRABS IT WITH BOTH HANDS AND YANKS THE SNOT OUT OF IT, it will not move. You will have done your job then.

Good luck on your project.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
Re: SEAT MOUNTING
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 10:41:34 AM »
I would mount the seat and the belts to the cage. You said you know its best so take the time to do it right.
Looks can be deceiving I hope nobody has their seat mounted to sheet metal without some serious reinforcing. In an accident the seat, the harnesses, and the cage need to act as one. The rule book may not be clear because there are so many different situations But if it is not safe it will likely not pass tech.
Will see if I have pictures of my seat mount and post in a little bit.

Later Rocket
http://www.SaltSurfers.com
Nothing succeeds like persistence. I hope!