Author Topic: World of Speed Forum  (Read 9703 times)

Offline Roland6250

• My Powered Streetluge Project
World of Speed Forum
« on: December 29, 2008, 03:15:52 PM »
My suggestion is that the World of Speed event needs its own forum because it is a distinct event held on the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: World of Speed Forum
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 03:29:45 PM »
Since the WOS occurs at Bonneville it should not need it's own forum..

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 03:38:31 PM »
I agree, John, but maybe. . .

That is, a Forum is certainly not what I'd think is required.  A Forum topic might be acceptable --but I'm not sure if it's necessary.  There's a separate section for Bub's, and that does happen on the Salt.  But WoS and World Finals and SpeedWeek are mixed in together in the "Bonneville General Chat" section and that's worked pretty well in the past.  If you want to see examples -- go through the 107 pages of various posts on the Bonneville Gen. Chat topic and find out how many WoS entries there are.

It's worked okay to use different topics in the past.  Why, might I ask, do you think I should create a WoS-specific topic (I assume that is what you mean, not a separate Forum)?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

landracing

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 04:20:09 PM »
Another good reason why BUB has its own forum over Speedweek, WOS and World finals is as Jon W stated also when I setup the forums in whatever year that was, I keep those three the same because they use the same rules from the same rule book and they all run on the same records. BUB has its own rules and does not use any of the same rules or records. Aside from WOS special running of the 130 club, barstools and go carts the events of Speedweek, WOS and World Finals are the same..

JonAmo

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 05:47:36 PM »
... Aside from WOS special running of the 130 club, barstools and go carts the events of Speedweek, WOS and World Finals are the same..
JonAmo

And land luges... you forgot land luges.... (I think Roland runs one of those...  :-D) Merry New Year all  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline dickj

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 07:46:54 PM »
Because the 130 club and 150 club offer such a unique opportunity for beginner racers, I think some sort of individual recognition, whether as a WOS Forum or as a 130/150 Club Forum might be a valid consideration. Potential racers who visit this site, and then check out what they can on SCTA and ECTA rules can easily be scared away once they start figuring the cost of turning their street rod into a racer.  If they get exposed through the 130/150 club, and get the salt fever, they are more likely to continue on with a real race car.  Just food for thought.  DickJ

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 07:51:18 PM »
Dick,

If they want their own site then the USFRA people may want to host their own forum..?

dwarner

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 09:06:56 PM »
Dick,

If you read through enough past posts you will see that many of those asking about LSR for the first time are pointed to the 130/150 club via the USFRA website.

DW

Offline Roland6250

• My Powered Streetluge Project
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 05:41:07 PM »
To Jon's Question Why???

1. Both Speed Week and World of Speed take place with in a few weeks of each other.

2. Every one is gearing up for two events and the posting begin to cross each other.

3. The 130 club and 150 club posting get dumped into the quagmire of SCTA rules debates when they have nothing to do with the SCTA rules.

4. Speed Week and World of Speed are two separate events with their own circumstances.

5. There is an entry labeled "Absolute Land Speed Record" description "Not necessarily land speed racing related" but there was enough interest to create it so.

6. If you felt the need for 5 they Why Not create a World of Speed entry?  :-D

7.  PLEASE?

And last but not least...

If no one posts entries then drop it and the next time I ask a question that only has relevance to my 1200cc Harley-Davidson Powered Streetluge you can see it explode into a multi page dump on how my vehicle would absolutely not be allowed to run on the salt flats.

I hope everyone has a safe and fast 2009, See you at WoS.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 06:03:04 PM by Roland6250 »

landracing

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 08:13:41 PM »
if Im not mistaken doesn't the 150 club have to be current on the SCTA rules for competition, so those rules are right out of the book. Only the 130 club people get to bare minimums to run...

Jonamo

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 08:28:38 PM »
if Im not mistaken doesn't the 150 club have to be current on the SCTA rules for competition, so those rules are right out of the book. Only the 130 club people get to bare minimums to run...

Jonamo

Nope, the 150 has its own rules, they require a 4 point cage, and carry a fire extinguisher, but not have a fire system.  Tires rated for 160, and several others I don't remember because I've never run the class, but I have referred a lot of folks to 130 and 150 and usually read the rules once a year. 

Jon, I have to side with Roland a little...  :-o I think a 130 / 150 Club section in the Forum is appropriate for the website.  They operate on different set of rules like Maxton and Texas.  I vote start a 130/150 club section.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 08:51:17 PM »
So, Stainless -- do I read correctly that you'd like a 130/150 Club section -- but not a World of Speed section?  Jon Amo has it right -- that WoS and SpeedWeek and WF all run on the same rules save for the two above-mentioned clubs, and that's that.  If enough of you feel that yet another section (the 130/150 one) is justified I can do it, of course, but at some point the clutter of too many sections will become so daunting to the casual surfer that we might lose overall viewings.  They'd just throw their hands in the air, so to speak, and say that there's just too much to try and read through.

Roland -- Yes, I created the ALSR section when the amount of posts and amount of stories became such that it warranted a separate section.  I don't see the volume for a WoS section as of now.  As for the sections for Lovelace (sorry, Linda -- that should be Lovelock, shouldn't it?) and Loring -- they're separate venues -- that's why they get their own sections.  But for events on the Salt Flats that run on identical rules with the same entrants and by and large the same interested folks -- I'm hesitant to add the section because of the extra clutter.  Get the conversations started about World of Speed-specific stuff and make me see the need, okay?

If SCTA/BNI were to ask me for a section for their events, and if USFRA were to ask for a section for that event -- then I'd feel much more inclined to set one up right away -- after all, they're the sanctioning organisations (note Brit spelling) and I want to keep them willing to give me and all of us top-notch access to their events.  But they haven't. 

I hope you don't think I'm being too cranky here.  I'm trying to keep the site as open and interesting as I can.  It sounds like you've got Stainless partly swayed towards giving you something of what you want.  Is his idea good enough for your needs?  Let me know. . .

Deep enough!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

roadtrip

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 09:29:58 PM »
Slim ----- I think you're right about creating too many forum sections. It might start looking like the SCTA bike classes ......... something for every individual person.

On the other hand ........ segregating the 130/150 clubs might save a lot of confusion for the newcomer.

If the emphasis was on build diaries, like 'Mile High Talon' did a couple of years ago, it could be interesting.

A dedicated USFRA section seems redundant for all the reasons you've stated, but a [130/150/time only] section might be worth a try.

ds   

landracing

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 11:38:27 PM »
Can we have a seperate forum for Barstools too since they have their own rules, and don't forget about the go-carts we deserve our own section too... I mean I might as well start with a barstool, then a go cart, then the 130 club, then 150 club, then.... Since they all run seperate rules I think they should have their own forums... I don't want to get confused or anything.

JonAmo

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 01:27:17 AM »

Now when he takes his HD powered skateboard and wants to put a real engine in it (Hayabusa :-D) then I might want to read about it however since no one else in the USFRA (don't they have their own site/forum) has asked or any of us see the need then call it a day and lets get back to wishing it was May (El Mirage) August (SpeedWeek) or whatever month and venue you happen to observe... :cheers: