Author Topic: Harv's Body..........  (Read 10730 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Harv's Body..........
« on: December 26, 2008, 12:35:29 PM »
....... well Harv's lakester body..........

............ see the rest of the pictures he sent me here..........

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/harvey/construction%20page-21.html

Great work Harv and congrats on getting all of that done.  I'm impressed!!

c ya,

Sum

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Harv's Body..........
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 12:46:45 PM »
Damn Harv!!! that is looking good!! You are a true insperation. I am planning to be a Lovelock so if you make it and need some help let me know.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Bville701

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 01:49:49 PM »
That is some nice body work!!!  Good job!!!    :-)
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 01:50:04 PM »
Well done Harv!

As for the computer mounting, I've done several for big trucks. The trick seems to be  shock absorbing padding of some sort and be sure that both the computer itself and the open screen are well supported. In the trucks it seems to be the screens and their hinges that suffer the most.

Pete

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 02:26:10 PM »
Well done Harv!

As for the computer mounting, I've done several for big trucks. The trick seems to be  shock absorbing padding of some sort and be sure that both the computer itself and the open screen are well supported. In the trucks it seems to be the screens and their hinges that suffer the most.

Pete

Maybe Scott will see this and post what I don't know, but they have pretty cheap computers in small cases that work under windows and guys are using them for entertainment centers in their cars.  They are set up to work with cranking volts and such and a car/truck environment.  I can't find my link to them now.  He is looking at them to work for data logging with megasquirt so that you don't have to have a laptop on board.

c ya,

Sum

Offline hitz

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 08:43:42 AM »
Sum,

Thanks for posting the progress report. I'm working on the wiring loom now trying to get the birdnest straightened out before I remove it for the painting.

Pete,
  Thanks for the suggestions on insulating the puter. I was trying to ignore that. I'll revisit the computer mounting.

Bville701,
  Thanks. Back at you on your roadster bodywork. It's really nice!

Rex,
  Thanks. Hope to see you at Lovelock. I always need help.

Harvey

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 09:26:10 AM »
You can go into the computer bios and have it "ignore when the lid is closed" then the computer will not shutoff.  That makes it easier to package and cushion plus the hinge and screen won't die. 
We found out our Zeitronix O2 sensor required a computer to record data, not  big deal if you are using it on the front seat of a sport compact but was a little issue in our lakester.  Only space was in the battery compartment in the nose, we turn it on, close the lid and shove it into the cushioned spot....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 11:00:51 AM »
Harv,  What a gerat way to finish '08 !!!!!!!!!I would wear being the oldest rookie with pride----but I doubt that you will qualify.  GREAT looking canopy!---do you have any other picts of that endevor---also picts of how you modified the anvil on the wheel...Thanks---Hees to a great '09
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 11:26:40 AM »
.....---also picts of how you modified the anvil on the wheel...

Yes I have those english lower wheels also and have heard of putting a flat on them, but can't remember how wide it is suppose to be??

I suppose you did it in the lathe??

Glad to put your stuff up Harv and you should be proud of what you have accomplished,

Sum

Offline hitz

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 07:33:04 PM »
Sparky,

On Sum's web site there is some pictures and text on building the canopy. It's about page 7 & 8. there will be more info on some other pages scattered around from the first canopy to a little more on the second canopy. I didn't take any pictures of the anvil being flattened. See answer to Sum below for more. I'll be calling you soon at that other matter.

Sum,
  Yes, the lower anvil was cut in the lathe. I cut the 12" radiused one about 1/2 " flat in the middle of the curve and blended the edge of the flat into
the 12" radius with emery cloth whle spinning it in the lathe. It's not cut much because I haven't looked at a professional english wheel closely. Mitch Allen has one in his shop that I'll check out and see how the wide flattened area is on the different sized wheels. I didn't want to cut too much. One of the ends on the shaft of the one I did had a small center hole in it. I used that to put pressure toward the three jaw chuck with a live center. The anvil is very hard and radiused both ways so there is very little contact area for the jaws. The anvils need to be polished and keep clean for a smooth job. Some of my work will need bondo because I didn't have flat spots on the anvil and most because I'm a bit of a clutz.

Stainless,
Where's the bios? :|

Thanks, Harv

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 11:04:42 PM »
Thanks Harv!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 11:44:06 PM »
Stainless,
Where's the bios? :|

Thanks, Harv

Harv, they are in there where only the computer geeks should be poking around....   :wink: Rodney Fish, the resident computer geek at Mountain States Automation did the one on our race computer.... Just take it to one and tell him you want it to stay on when you close the lid, took Rodney almost 15 minutes to find the spot to change...  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline tomsmith

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 11:05:29 AM »
If you have $1,700 to $3,200 to spend - Panasonic makes a "Toughbook" notebook computer that you can drop, etc. without harm.  I'm saving up for a $400 bracket notebook myself.  Info is here:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughbook/laptop-computers.asp

SAIC in San Diego made some Mil-Spec battlefield notebooks, but I doubt if they will sell to you or me.  The original ones were quarter screen and designed to fit in BDU pockets.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

dwarner

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 11:19:05 AM »
You may be able to get a good used one from Jack Brauer. His compact PDAs are used mainly to download building schmatics and set up perimeters.

DW

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 12:34:33 PM »
I use to work for a telamatics company and we built a computer that was hard wired to the car and would turn on with the ignition.  It was only 5"x5"x2' and we were selling it for $800.  If you Google telematics there should be a host of solutions.  This one is slightly bigger and is $725.  https://logisysus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=99&products_id=537   If you work it right, should be able to get a free one for from these companies as they are always looking to show case their product.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 12:37:38 PM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”