Author Topic: Goodyear 22.0'' x 2.5'' - 17'' Frontrunner Tire for ALL tires on lakester/strea  (Read 6004 times)

Offline chopperusa

• New folks
I am thinking of finally jumping in and building a car to run. I figure to be safe at first i would like to build either a streamliner or a lakester and use up to a 2000cc engine at first. My question is that to save me extra drag and get a better bite into the salt i am wanting to use a narrow tires and sense i want to try to keep the weight of the car down to make things easier to stop. Has anyone used the narrow Goodyear Eagle Frontrunner Tires 22.0'' x 2.5'' - 17''. For all four tires with any luck? I will eventually use the bigger and wider tires if i use more power or the tires do not hold up. And i may use a four wheel drive setup with a 1000cc and bigger motor. I do not know if a 750cc motor would benefit from the four wheel drive setup.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
How fast are they rated for and how much weight?  Those will be the determining factors.  Check with Goodyear on your application.
Good luck with your project.  Start a build diary and keep us up to date with your progress  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
I am thinking along the very same lines. In fact I have my basic car layout drawn using the 22 x2.5 x17 tires and wheels. The Goodyear top fuel front runners should certainly be able to support a small lakester at speed and I would also think have the ability to provide drive. They are rated for way over 300 mph and there are a couple of cars that all ready run them on one end  or the other, but I have not seen them as drive wheels.

From the aero info that I have gleaned from my various sources tall and narrow tires should be better than short fat tires, althought Stainless may have some first had experience that is counter to this.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
I am thinking along the very same lines. In fact I have my basic car layout drawn using the 22 x2.5 x17 tires and wheels. The Goodyear top fuel front runners should certainly be able to support a small lakester at speed and I would also think have the ability to provide drive. They are rated for way over 300 mph .........

Hi Rex, you might want to call Goodyear and ask before you get too far along and you are planning on running over 200 aren't you  :-) .

When does work begin on the lakester?

Sum

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
I am thinking along the very same lines. In fact I have my basic car layout drawn using the 22 x2.5 x17 tires and wheels. The Goodyear top fuel front runners should certainly be able to support a small lakester at speed and I would also think have the ability to provide drive. They are rated for way over 300 mph .........

Hi Rex, you might want to call Goodyear and ask before you get too far along and you are planning on running over 200 aren't you  :-) .  Personally I don't feel comfortable with anything other than their landspeed tires for a drive tire.

When does work begin on the lakester?

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
No our first tires were wider and taller than that.  
The issue with dragster fronts rated for 300 is the length of time they spin and the designed load.  That is why I suggested contacting Goodyear to talk about it before committing.  If they think they will hold up for 3 miles over 200 as a drive wheel then you may have found the correct aero tire for your application
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Sum,
I am actually making drawings for some of the parts that I need machined and I have a friend that is going to provide machine work. I am also getting some parts CNC plasma cut by Mittler Bros for the suspension, so I have started but I am also doing a motorcycle right now also (putting a Yamaha YZ490 into a Husky frame that I have) and I have several things that I need to do on the roadster plus build a small trailer so I can drive it to B'ville next year and have more than just one pair of underwear and a tooth brush! So keeping pretty busy sure can't wait until I retire so I can work on this stuff full time.

I will definetly contact Goodyear regarding the 22 inch tire, they did a big update on it a couple of years ago and if you watch drag racing you can see that the new tire is somewhat wider across the tread. I guess that my thinking is that the Goodyear funny car fronts are used my a number of people for the drive end and some of them have gone over 300 and I only want to go just over 200 so my kid can get a "hat". I am sure that at 330 on a top fuel car the load from the front wing is probably much higher than the weight that my lakester will be.

" It is only time and money"!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline sheribuchta

Goodyear also makes a 22 x 3.50 x 17 and a 22 x 4.00 x 17, all for a 2.50 rim.  See  technical discussion . High speed tires.

Sheri Buchta
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 10:42:37 PM by sheribuchta »