Author Topic: Old Bonneville Pictures  (Read 1315342 times)

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
Re: Old Bonneville Pictures
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2009, 01:43:01 PM »
I also remember the great fun we had with the Barber-Nichols Steamon Demon. Seems like every time it got up to speed it blew out the windsheild and we had a billion little pieces of glass to pick up before we could run again.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2009, 02:02:52 PM »
As I recall they were told to replace the glass with lexon before they brought it back and it has never ran again. BTW, I was helping with the glass pick up like a whole bunch of others, takes a long time. :-o
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2009, 04:25:26 PM »
i'll figure out how to 'post a quote' correctly.

franey

You hit the "quote button 1st then when the page opens you type below the quote. Simple :-)

did it right earlier this week; this morning was wrong.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2009, 06:03:41 PM »
If that was Don's only run, it was an embarrassment.

FREUD

Hey Freud,

Trying to read between the lines here, internet communication being what it is.  Are you saying that the owner and builder, which is me, was embarrassed, or the rider, which was Don Vesco was embarrassed?  Are you saying that the thousands of LSR machines that didn't perform to their potential on the first time out are an  embarrassment to their builders and riders? 

Max

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2009, 06:17:35 PM »
i'll figure out how to 'post a quote' correctly.

franey

You hit the "quote button 1st then when the page opens you type below the quote. Simple :-)

did it right earlier this week; this morning was wrong.

franey
And a few for my favorite Bike Builder,

his first bike on the salt
Don Angel and Max working on the scooter
side shot, Max is up to 180 inches now

[/quote

have not seen any posts from max in a while.
how is he and the liner doing?

franey

Hey Franey,

Thanks for asking.  I haven't had time to spend on the internet lately, too busy preparing the streamliner for the '09 season.  For instance, today I worked on my engines at a friend's machine shop.  He has a huge C&C mill which was required, for me to put new oversize idler gear spindles to accept the gears between the two engines.  It took about ten hours, but the spindles are in and the back lash of the gears came out perfect.  I don't anticipate any problems in '09 in this area.  It looks like a gear train out of a Mack Truck. 

More later.  Stainless came over the other day and said that he was going to bring his camera and take some pictures of the goings on for the 2009 "Visit to Thunderdome".  So hang in there; it's coming.

Max

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2009, 06:23:15 PM »
My reply came out looking like a quote (blue background)???
                                         Max

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2009, 06:23:40 PM »
Steamon Demon now is in Reno at the National Automobile Museum (Harrahs) been there awhile .
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2009, 06:25:58 PM »
Max, Freud is very old and never knows what he is going to say :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2009, 06:53:09 PM »
I'm way behind in my reading here but if you go back to page 2 and look at the two pictures of the BlueBird, you will see real revolutionary tuning in place. If I remember correctly the car had a two stroke motor with a Mikuni carb. If you blow up the two pictures and compare them you will see the difference between the car sputtering along at 115 mph and then surpassing 150 mph. Rick Vesco came over and told Keith what to do. Anyone spot it? It made the car obsolete because it suddenly was running faster than it was designed for safety-wise.

I know what the difference is but i am part of the team so i will wait to say

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2009, 06:57:34 PM »
...............  Stainless came over the other day and said that he was going to bring his camera and take some pictures of the goings on for the 2009 "Visit to Thunderdome".  So hang in there; it's coming.

Max

Hey I enjoyed my visit to the shop a couple weeks ago with Stainless in the snow and cold outside and the warmth inside.  Thanks for taking the time,

Sum

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2009, 08:05:54 PM »
     On the Bluebird:  Air intake.  Did it have a flat slide Mikuni?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2009, 10:54:19 PM »
I'm way behind in my reading here but if you go back to page 2 and look at the two pictures of the BlueBird, you will see real revolutionary tuning in place. If I remember correctly the car had a two stroke motor with a Mikuni carb. If you blow up the two pictures and compare them you will see the difference between the car sputtering along at 115 mph and then surpassing 150 mph. Rick Vesco came over and told Keith what to do. Anyone spot it? It made the car obsolete because it suddenly was running faster than it was designed for safety-wise.

RT, I think the pics are from different years. they ran a 750 Honda Interceptor motor, same as we had in the yellow lakester.  We both suffered from the same problem the first year, needed the stock air box.  There were air tubes that were needed with the Diaphragm operated slides. When they went 200 they needed a little more wheelbase and were told they were done.  It is a really cool little car.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2009, 04:31:41 PM »
My reply came out looking like a quote (blue background)???
                                         Max
[/quote

imagine that. same here w/ the quotes. 2 out of 5
came out right for me.
  anyway, figured you were in build mode & waiting
for an expansive diary of it.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2009, 06:25:13 PM »
Nope sorry you are wrong about the BlueBird. It was 1985 and the pictures were both taken at the same meet. Between photo 1 and 2 the car really perked up. Big difference in speed. No one has seen the difference yet I guess. Bo, you were just a little kid at that time but maybe you remember, or I know Jim knows what went on. This is fun for a little kid like me to be able to stump all you long time B-ville racers. It was also at the same meet that Marlo blew a tire and crashed the Mazda powered lakester and I also went on my head at about 280 mph. Not fun memories except that they are memories and not written in an obit.

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2009, 06:37:04 PM »
Richard
Are you sure? I see different color-paint scheme, scoop over canopy taped up, different scoop intakes beside driver, different body work to more enclose the wheels and maybe scoops down low by rear wheels in first but not in second picture. Can't tell for sure about the last about scoops. Interesting to say the least. Some small changes sometimes make big differences.
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.