Author Topic: Old Bonneville Pictures  (Read 1314290 times)

Offline Freud

Re: Old Bonneville Pictures
« Reply #390 on: February 10, 2009, 10:54:37 PM »
The first big engine scooter that I can remember. He rode thru Wendover with plates on his shoes with sparks flying off of them.

His timing slip was under 300 MPH.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #391 on: February 10, 2009, 11:01:34 PM »
The first big engine scooter that I can remember. He rode thru Wendover with plates on his shoes with sparks flying off of them.

His timing slip was under 300 MPH.

FREUD

If I remember it was under 300KPH... way under
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Freud

« Reply #392 on: February 10, 2009, 11:07:16 PM »
I have no idea who the rider was.

This Vesco shot was done when I shot a cover for MOTORCYCLIST. They chose a shot that wasn't as tall because they had some chick on a motorized bicycle that took up the top part of the page. The foto was done, I drove it to the Salt Lake airport and sent the film to LA, as a package on an airliner, they met the plane, processed the roll, chose the foto and had it at the printer the next morning. They already had the cover planned and so that's why he wasn't the main foto. I could only shoot the left side. He went there with fresh paint and before I arrived, he dropped it and skinned the right side so we only had the left with fresh paint. They didn't want the image going from right to left but that was the only alternative.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #393 on: February 10, 2009, 11:48:41 PM »
Jack Lufkin's Sports Racing car killed the class. It's best record was 291.783 MPH (AA/SR) in 1973 with Jerry Spotts driving. On the return of the record run, Spotts hit a 50 gallon barrel when he lost the chute and couldn't get stopped. If I'm wrong about the circumstances I am certain someone will call me on it. I do know the car was destroyed and never ran again. As early as 1967 it held the record in E class at 215.569 and held other records at 233.926 in D, 237.154 in C, 237.411 in B and 262.297 in A.

In the bottom shot, u can read his name on the helmet.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #394 on: February 10, 2009, 11:53:43 PM »
The Ball Point Bananna from New York state.

I don't know that he ever received a timing slip.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #395 on: February 10, 2009, 11:56:02 PM »
Vesco and Bill Wirges had a motorcycle streamliner SHOOTOUT one year.

I guess I better modify it and call it a SHOWDOWN unless their shirts were wrong.

FREUD
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 11:57:34 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline cheap-n-dirty

« Reply #396 on: February 11, 2009, 12:08:52 AM »
some more.
old age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiam every time

Offline cheap-n-dirty

« Reply #397 on: February 11, 2009, 12:11:49 AM »
a few more.

Offline cheap-n-dirty

« Reply #398 on: February 11, 2009, 12:17:11 AM »
last ones for tonight.

Offline Freud

« Reply #399 on: February 11, 2009, 12:17:45 AM »
Now I better get busy on the B'ville NW Banquet. So I won't be posting anymore fotos for a few days.

I hope u enjoy these. I think the latest of these images was shot in 1978. The year doesn't really matter. B'ville changes but it never really changes. The geography remains the same and the maximum effort in 1948 was just as intense as it is today. Speeds are faster but 100% is still the same challenge. People go home as tired in 2008 as they  did in 1952. The salt still eats metal the same way as it did when the telephone poles were erected. The heat and the wind haven't changed.

You first trip to the salt will always be indescribable, whether it was 1909 or 2009. Just remember, you can not describe the place adequately to anyone. They have to experience it to understand. They still may not understand you.

My love for B'ville will never be complete as long as I live. It occupies part of my day, everyday of my life. It's like the girl that you loved early in your life and she escaped. You dream of her constantly and the empty spot will be there until she returns. So it is with the salt. I dream of it daily and always hope to return. I'm hopelessly addicted to it.

No, I can't tell you why so don't ask.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #400 on: February 11, 2009, 12:28:02 AM »
Jack Lufkin's Sports Racing car killed the class. It's best record was 291.783 MPH (AA/SR) in 1973 with Jerry Spotts driving. On the return of the record run, Spotts hit a 50 gallon barrel when he lost the chute and couldn't get stopped. If I'm wrong about the circumstances I am certain someone will call me on it. I do know the car was destroyed and never ran again. As early as 1967 it held the record in E class at 215.569 and held other records at 233.926 in D, 237.154 in C, 237.411 in B and 262.297 in A.

In the bottom shot, u can read his name on the helmet.

FREUD

I've known about Jack Lufkins car since I started racing at the salt ~'79. These are the best pictures I've EVER seen of the car. Thanks Glen. For those that don't know this car ran 300 mph with a turbocharged big block chevy back in the mid '70's. Long before any othe full bodied cars ever came close, of anyone knew what EFI was......

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Freud

« Reply #401 on: February 11, 2009, 12:35:40 AM »
Mike, I have one shot of Jack on a return record run that is even better than this one. It is tack sharp, probably about at the three mile and it was haulin' the mail. Once again, his name is easily read in the shot. That shot has the car going from right to left. I know Jack got one of those shots from me. I have no idea if he could put his hand on the foto but it was pretty good.

I'm happy you enjoyed the shot.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #402 on: February 11, 2009, 08:40:26 AM »
Now I better get busy on the B'ville NW Banquet. So I won't be posting anymore fotos for a few days.

I hope u enjoy these. I think the latest of these images was shot in 1978. The year doesn't really matter. B'ville changes but it never really changes. The geography remains the same and the maximum effort in 1948 was just as intense as it is today. Speeds are faster but 100% is still the same challenge. People go home as tired in 2008 as they  did in 1952. The salt still eats metal the same way as it did when the telephone poles were erected. The heat and the wind haven't changed.

You first trip to the salt will always be indescribable, whether it was 1909 or 2009. Just remember, you can not describe the place adequately to anyone. They have to experience it to understand. They still may not understand you.

My love for B'ville will never be complete as long as I live. It occupies part of my day, everyday of my life. It's like the girl that you loved early in your life and she escaped. You dream of her constantly and the empty spot will be there until she returns. So it is with the salt. I dream of it daily and always hope to return. I'm hopelessly addicted to it.

No, I can't tell you why so don't ask.

FREUD

What an awesome post in such a great thread. Your last paragraph should be on the front page of LR.com, I know it will be hanging on my wall in the shop here by thisafternoon!

Thanks for all you do to keep the history of the salt alive both here and in color... and good luck with the Banquet, I can't wait until we can be there with you one day. You're one of the best there is and like mine and Debs first experience on the salt, this whole thing wouldn't be one tenth as good without you in it.
Todd

Offline sabat

« Reply #403 on: February 11, 2009, 08:51:49 AM »
Bravo Freud, thank you for taking the time to post these pics and include your commentary.  -Dean

:cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #404 on: February 11, 2009, 09:21:59 AM »
Freud, those are the pictures I was talking about.... WOW.... you are temporarily excused from posting pictures and completely caught up on your requirements... what great shots, no sorry, what great photographs.  I have never been able to express how the salt affects me, but you certainly hit it so close I started typing through the mist in my eyes.
See you at the NWR

OK kids, lets keep this going.... I know everyone has pictures, so keep posting, what great history
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O