Author Topic: Old Bonneville Pictures  (Read 1314295 times)

Offline 36hplandspeedracer

• Age 70
Re: Old Bonneville Pictures
« Reply #2085 on: March 10, 2015, 11:49:45 PM »
Dick Zook helps Glenn Deed drop the Hemi into his beautiful yellow Stude.

Photo by Burly Burlile

Burly

• Age 70
« Reply #2086 on: March 10, 2015, 11:51:59 PM »
Shade was always a little spare in the early days but we learned how to build tent cities over the decades. Jack Stewart and the Wheeler crew swap motors alongside the dike.

Photo by Burly Burlile

Burly

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #2087 on: March 11, 2015, 09:19:04 AM »
   Love the 1 1/2 Galvanized pipe "A" frame.

Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

• Age 70
« Reply #2088 on: March 11, 2015, 09:26:58 AM »
Buickguy, you did not mention that "sway" in the center pipe!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2089 on: March 11, 2015, 09:38:29 AM »
great pics Burly, keep posting more of our history  :cheers: :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

• Age 70
« Reply #2090 on: March 11, 2015, 11:32:27 AM »
Actually Stainless, I was just hoping to "jumpstart" this thread again by posting last night. It appears to have had very few new photo inputs since a couple of years ago. I will continue to add a few more from my albums but it sure would be nice to have others start downloading some new "old" pics. I think it is one of the best threads on-line as evidenced by the hundred plus pages. Come on lurkers, jump in with you old Bonneville and El Mirage or Lake Gairdner photos and let's get this thing going once more!

Athol Grahams streamliner by Burly Burlile 62 or 63?

Burly

Offline BHR301

« Reply #2091 on: March 11, 2015, 12:16:22 PM »
That picture of Athol might be from a lot earlier as he died in 1960.

Bill

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2092 on: March 11, 2015, 12:41:30 PM »
Let's see if I can size these right . . .

Not Bonneville, but El Mirage in perhaps 1950 or so.  Scotty in Scotty's Muffler 29 Roadster.  Show-quality car as always, a little dirty here.  Notice the filled rear wheelwells.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

• Age 70
« Reply #2093 on: March 11, 2015, 12:56:23 PM »
That picture of Athol might be from a lot earlier as he died in 1960.

Bill

Bill, after Athols death in 1960, Athols car was rebuilt by his wife and crew and raced again by one or two different drivers. It was then pulled apart and stored until it's restoration by his son Butch over the past few years. I first went to Bonneville in 1962 and I took this photo in 62 or maybe 63, not sure?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2094 on: March 11, 2015, 12:58:19 PM »
Now some egocentric shots.

My first trip to Bonneville in 1972 with Phil Stevenson's 55 Chevy wagon.  He drove it there.  He'd replaced the tired 6-cyl. with a 390 Cadillac (he was a big Caddy fan) complete with the high performance(?) Jet-Away HydraMatic.  

He'd bought a 6-carb manifold at San Bernardino's Orange Show swap meet for $15 after he'd convinced the seller that it was not for a Chrysler and he'd be the only buyer in California that would want it.  I threw in a wastebasket-full of 97 carbs that I had (at least 6 from our drag roadster and 6 more from my street roadster replaced by the Enderles).  He made four good ones out of the lot and put them on the Cad.

The first night we slept on the picnic table at the Paraganaught(sp?) Lakes rest stop.  Got to Bonneville, put on a pair of 18" Halibrands.  One had an Indy tire, one had a Bonneville tire.  One was about 3/4-in taller than the other.  Both had threads showing thru and passed inspection and were stamped "Good for 175 MPH).

His goal was to go 150, and he made several runs at 148 to 149.  He won an award that year for the fastest car driven there.  At least that's how I choose to remember it.

Here's the Chevy before being "race prepared". . .  
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 01:12:46 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2095 on: March 11, 2015, 01:00:31 PM »
I ended up with the 18s on my sedan and have driven it to Bonneville several times.

This was from one of the first trips . . .

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2096 on: March 11, 2015, 01:03:52 PM »
And here's a shot of the present-day San Berdoo Roadsters' first Bonneville meet in 1954 with Chevy 6 power.  It was the Leithold and Son entry as I remember.  
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 01:06:38 PM by Stan Back »

• Age 70
« Reply #2097 on: March 11, 2015, 02:40:41 PM »
Now some egocentric shots.

My first trip to Bonneville in 1972 with Phil Stevenson's 55 Chevy wagon.  He drove it there.  He'd replaced the tired 6-cyl. with a 390 Cadillac (he was a big Caddy fan) complete with the high performance(?) Jet-Away HydraMatic.  

He'd bought a 6-carb manifold at San Bernardino's Orange Show swap meet for $15 after he'd convinced the seller that it was not for a Chrysler and he'd be the only buyer in California that would want it.  I threw in a wastebasket-full of 97 carbs that I had (at least 6 from our drag roadster and 6 more from my street roadster replaced by the Enderles).  He made four good ones out of the lot and put them on the Cad.

The first night we slept on the picnic table at the Paraganaught(sp?) Lakes rest stop.  Got to Bonneville, put on a pair of 18" Halibrands.  One had an Indy tire, one had a Bonneville tire.  One was about 3/4-in taller than the other.  Both had threads showing thru and passed inspection and were stamped "Good for 175 MPH).

His goal was to go 150, and he made several runs at 148 to 149.  He won an award that year for the fastest car driven there.  At least that's how I choose to remember it.

Here's the Chevy before being "race prepared". . .  

Always loved that A Model Stan. Big & littles and skinny & talls, and a fantastic color for a great combination. Thanx for sharing your tale on your first visit. Addictive isn't it? Street rods on the salt are a beautiful sight to see. Below are a couple more rod visitors I photoed out at roads end back when we were putting on the Bonneville Cruise In in the eighties.

Photo by Burly Burlile

BUrly

Offline jdincau

« Reply #2098 on: March 11, 2015, 02:41:42 PM »
Here's the Dincau brothers and Logan entry of 1962. Drove it to Wendover and home, went 152.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 02:43:27 PM by jdincau »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #2099 on: March 11, 2015, 03:00:26 PM »
1963 - driver was Harry Muhlbach - the picture shows the car with the "view ball" in front - he couldn't handle the car right, end up at last on his roof after a double roll

Actually Stainless, I was just hoping to "jumpstart" this thread again by posting last night. It appears to have had very few new photo inputs since a couple of years ago. I will continue to add a few more from my albums but it sure would be nice to have others start downloading some new "old" pics. I think it is one of the best threads on-line as evidenced by the hundred plus pages. Come on lurkers, jump in with you old Bonneville and El Mirage or Lake Gairdner photos and let's get this thing going once more!

Athol Grahams streamliner by Burly Burlile 62 or 63?

Burly
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)