Author Topic: Old Bonneville Pictures  (Read 1314188 times)

Offline NathanStewart

Re: Venable Rods and Racing - 53 Studebaker Build E/CGALT
« Reply #1935 on: November 05, 2012, 05:38:08 PM »
Not-so-mellow Yellows.

Charles, Did you notice the "Ducts" on this Stude!

Pino Ceccato and Bud Jones 1971 with boss 302 ford, 201mph on gas, might have been 1st doorslammer unblown smallblock
on gas over 200 :-o   In addition to the ducts they had a big water tank and lead in the trunk.

JL222

Sorry for the two year old bump.... my dad bought this car from Ceccato & Jones after they were done with it.  Prior to Ceccato & Jones owning it it was Rochlitzer and Bennett.  One time when my dad towed it out to run at El Mirage, the drain on the big water tank broke and all the water was lost.  Decided to run it without the water (ballast) and spun.  Once stopped, dad got out of the car which was full of swirlling dust.  Patrol came up and shot him with a fire extinguisher thinking that he was on fire.  Apparently the car was a handful even with all the water and without it... well you see what happens.  Sold the car to the Carters.  Guess they pulled the good parts off of it and scraped the rest.  I think I've seen one or two pics of it while it was in my dad's posession.     
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
Re: Old Bonneville Pictures
« Reply #1936 on: November 05, 2012, 08:53:48 PM »
   The man on left is Don The Beachcomber Johnson for sure -  1963 was the year he put
himself in the B'ville 200 MPH Club at 255.501 with Jeff Shipleys' 300 inch Chyrsler
- I was there (so was Freud). The next year Fred Murphy drove the Lakester to a 263 down
run with the wind killing any chance for a return run for the record. 
          The car is being restored as we speak by our own Kiwi Steve Davies.
     Pat Kinne

Offline JimL

« Reply #1937 on: November 05, 2012, 10:26:29 PM »
Just saw the streamliner with the STP sticker question; I remember when I arrived at impound in '69, I was offered a goodie box by STP if I'd get my pic taken with stickers on my bike.  The STP guys had a little spot on the edge of impound where they were taking your pic and giving out free stuff (after your return run).  You got two T-shirts, two plastic safari hats, two STP hats, a bunch of oil additive, and two "super lightweight" STP jackets!

We all wanted the box to get those two spiffy, red, STP jackets.  They were pretty cool looking, back in the day!  Like everybody else, I "lightly" stuck the stickers on the tail of my bike, got my freebies, and then pulled the stickers later.

Hope this might add a little to that story and questions.

Regards, JimL

Offline Freud

« Reply #1938 on: November 06, 2012, 02:23:56 PM »
Pat, I wish I had met you in 1963.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline jl222

« Reply #1939 on: November 06, 2012, 09:46:42 PM »
Just saw the streamliner with the STP sticker question; I remember when I arrived at impound in '69, I was offered a goodie box by STP if I'd get my pic taken with stickers on my bike.  The STP guys had a little spot on the edge of impound where they were taking your pic and giving out free stuff (after your return run).  You got two T-shirts, two plastic safari hats, two STP hats, a bunch of oil additive, and two "super lightweight" STP jackets!

We all wanted the box to get those two spiffy, red, STP jackets.  They were pretty cool looking, back in the day!  Like everybody else, I "lightly" stuck the stickers on the tail of my bike, got my freebies, and then pulled the stickers later.

Hope this might add a little to that story and questions.

Regards, JimL

I'll ask Buddy Jones if thats how he got the world's uglyist t-shirt ( small stp logos over the whole T-shirt)
and he still wears it at Bville :-o

JL222

Offline will6er

« Reply #1940 on: November 06, 2012, 09:57:29 PM »
It can't be worse than Andy Granitelli's Indy 500 "pajamas".

Will6er

Offline JimL

« Reply #1941 on: November 07, 2012, 11:23:50 AM »
Photo from an old post shows the red jackets and STP tshirts we got in '69.  Its the pic of a group in the motorcycle line ( left lane, that year).  I think the polka-dot stp shirts were a few years later?

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5202.0;attach=8643;image

You can also see the plastic hats; pretty sure this was a riders meeting but cant remember if it was the one about the ruts, the one about the wind, or?  It was before the 750-4 Honda went down, so earlier in the week.

JimL

Offline streamliner

• Gyronaut X-1: World's Fastest Motorcycle
« Reply #1942 on: November 07, 2012, 03:29:20 PM »
Both Richards and Holtan confirmed that sponsor stickers were added and removed for photos, with much disappointment, since they had nearly zero support from any sponsor...
 :cheers:
Visit the Gyronaut X-1 Restoration and History Pages
World's Fastest Motorcycle from 1966 to 1970
www.gyronautx1.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #1943 on: November 10, 2012, 11:14:29 PM »
How's this?

FREUD
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 11:24:32 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline streamliner

• Gyronaut X-1: World's Fastest Motorcycle
« Reply #1944 on: December 01, 2012, 11:18:35 PM »
Real easy to "add" stickers during a photo op. Ever seen a NASCAR driver changing sponsor hats during an interview?
I would submit that those stickers were likely added during the photo session in anticipation of the STP sponsorship deal.

Larry

...and a little proof that "stickers" were added even well after the photos were taken.  I just found these: The original pic is from July 1964, no stickers in any of the photos from that shoot.  The newspaper clipping was from January 1965, where it's pretty clear the stickers were added to the photo, since STP wasn't even considered a sponsor in 1964, and the bike was a completely different color scheme by the end of 1964.  Andy Granatelli and STP were being courted as a sponsor at the 1965 Detroit Autorama, just a few days prior to the magazine article, but probably too soon for newer pics to be published...

Visit the Gyronaut X-1 Restoration and History Pages
World's Fastest Motorcycle from 1966 to 1970
www.gyronautx1.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #1945 on: December 08, 2012, 06:06:32 PM »
SAM

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #1946 on: December 26, 2012, 06:10:14 PM »
Gil Ruiz built this about the same time that Markleys built the yellow 360 roadster.

FREUD
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 06:12:43 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #1947 on: December 26, 2012, 06:15:38 PM »
Early diesel truck.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #1948 on: December 26, 2012, 06:20:41 PM »
The timing stand was on the mountain side but the return road was on the freeway side.

The air ambulance was at the timing stand. Mrs. Gillette provided the ambulance and Bill Woofendin (SP?)

flew the air ambulance.

The group of cars behind the timing tower were the spectators.

FREUD
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 07:03:21 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #1949 on: December 26, 2012, 06:23:29 PM »
Same year as the truck and 471 roadster.

FREUD
Since '63