Author Topic: Old Bonneville Pictures  (Read 1315166 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: Old Bonneville Pictures
« Reply #1755 on: October 26, 2011, 06:10:01 PM »
On your first pic it looks like Lee Chapel liner is between the Kenz-Leslie liner and the Pierson Coupe....
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Avanti Dan

• Going to Bonneville to fill my Bucket List item #4
« Reply #1756 on: October 26, 2011, 10:34:31 PM »
Anyone have pictures of the Burke Bros Avanti that haven't been posted. There were two pictures of the car on the ramp truck way back in the forum. Looking to complete the documentation of the history of it's 40+ years of land speed racing.
Dan
Bucket List Dreamer

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #1757 on: November 03, 2011, 01:49:46 PM »
Stumbled across this
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1758 on: November 03, 2011, 02:40:10 PM »
As near as I can tell from my old files this is Probably The Mormon Wasp driven by Wilber D'Alene in 1914
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Tman

« Reply #1759 on: November 03, 2011, 03:11:47 PM »
As near as I can tell from my old files this is Probably The Mormon Wasp driven by Wilber D'Alene in 1914

Glen, is this shot at now what is the ditch south of the Interstate? Trying to remember something DW said about the powerline location.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #1760 on: November 03, 2011, 06:09:35 PM »
That looks like it would be south of I-80 ...

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1761 on: November 03, 2011, 06:30:54 PM »
Glen --

Can't you remember?  You were there, right?

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1762 on: November 03, 2011, 07:07:30 PM »
Stan, that was the other glenn
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #1763 on: November 03, 2011, 07:25:58 PM »
floydjer - that's Teddy Tetzlaff in the Blitzen Benz. He was part of a barnstorming group of racers and this was a promotional stunt to set the "world land speed record".
Spectators timed the car with stop watches and a record was claimed, but never certified for obvious reasons.
 :cheers:
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #1764 on: November 03, 2011, 09:22:57 PM »
Thats a "Wow" picture right there. It appears they even had their own train.
  Sid.

Offline Robert Rampton

• New folks
« Reply #1765 on: November 04, 2011, 12:50:40 AM »
All -
Here is what is happening in the great historic photo posted by floydjer.  This photo was taken in the afternoon on Wednesday, August 12, 1914 at Salduro Siding, Tooele County, Utah.  It was likely taken by Salt Lake City commercial photograher Bill Shipler.  The original resides in the photo archives of the Utah Historical Society.  The racing automobiles shown in the photo are both 445 cid, 4-cyl. Maxwells.  There were three of them on the salt that day.  The closest one to the camera is the gasoline fueled #3 Maxwell driven by Theodore Tetzlaff.  The other car with the crowd gathered around it is the #25 Maxwell of "Coal-Oil" Billy Carlson.  It was fueled by kerosene as was the third car.  They were black in color.  The cars not visible in the photo, but were present and participated in the speed trials were a 496 cid, 4-cyl. Marmon Special driven by Wilbur D'Alene.  It was neither the wasp or a wasp, but a road race special constructed for the 1911 Vanderbilt Cup.  It was painted in the traditional Marmon racing colors of yellow and black.  Also present was a 180 cid, 4-cyl. Nyberg racer, called "The Endicott Special" driven by Rudy Goetz which was painted red.  Last, but not least, was the famed 1,312 cid, 4-cyl. 200PS Weltrekordwagon Benz "Blitzen" No. 2 also driven by Tetzlaff.  It used a gasoline and ether mix for fuel and was painted white.  All the cars and drivers were part of the Ernest Moross auto show that was barnstorming across the country.  The trials were held under a AAA granted 1/2 mile sanction that was later revoked rendering all times and speeds made unoffical.  Tetzlaff and his mechanic, Domenich Basso, pushed the Benz to a speed of 142.85 mph on thier final attempt.  None of the automobiles that participated in this event have survived history.  Neither has the salt they ran on.  This first course was located on the south side of the Western Pacific tracks at Salduro Siding, approximately adjacent to where the I-80, eastbound rest stop is located.  Nearly 100 years of mineral extraction in the area has destroyed a salt pan that was over 30 miles in circumference in 1914.
Bob.   
Happily afflicted with salt fever since 1988.

Offline Tman

« Reply #1766 on: November 04, 2011, 01:57:06 AM »
Wow!, Thanks Bob! :cheers:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1767 on: November 04, 2011, 11:04:28 AM »
I got part of it right, was very hard to enlarge the picture for details. It's still a lot of fun to do research into the old days. It takes time but always worth it to find additional history that Bob has furnished. As he is in SLC and has the history more available in that area.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Robert Rampton

• New folks
« Reply #1768 on: November 04, 2011, 01:35:39 PM »
20 + years of digging and research on this topic hasn't hurt either.  Thanks guys for the comments.
Bob.
Happily afflicted with salt fever since 1988.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #1769 on: November 06, 2011, 09:51:31 AM »
Another to keep the discussion going.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.