Author Topic: Old Bonneville Pictures  (Read 1314230 times)

Offline salt27

Re: Old Bonneville Pictures
« Reply #1710 on: May 09, 2011, 05:10:43 PM »
What kind of steering did the Volksliner utilize?

Don

Offline 36hplandspeedracer

• Age 70
« Reply #1711 on: May 09, 2011, 05:28:01 PM »
What kind of steering did the Volksliner utilize?

Don

Don, the whole of the Volksliner was unsual in concept. In addition to the prone drivers position and periscope vision, the front drive car was a 'rear steer' design using the two trailing rear wheels similar to that system later used by Andy Green and the sound barrier jet car. On it's first runs Phil noted the steering was 'extremely quick' and difficult to control. When it finally made a long course run it flipped upside down between the two and three mile. The car was repaired and made one more pass but without suspension, the ride was determined to be too ridgid to control and withdrawn from competition. The car then dissapeared from sight to never e seen again.

Burly

Offline streamliner

• Gyronaut X-1: World's Fastest Motorcycle
« Reply #1712 on: May 09, 2011, 06:01:41 PM »
All my Volksliner pix were from Alex's camera, and that's all I've got of it, at least on that roll of negatives.  There may be more, but I don't think so (unless it's in the background in another photo).

Since this car was set up alongside the Volksliner on what looks like a test run, you may be able to track down its owner for possible info, CA license number XJK495.

Visit the Gyronaut X-1 Restoration and History Pages
World's Fastest Motorcycle from 1966 to 1970
www.gyronautx1.com

• Age 70
« Reply #1713 on: May 09, 2011, 08:34:38 PM »
Here is another photo of Ak Miller's ACE taken by Dick Zook. After 48 years missing, Land Racing .com helped Dick and I reunite and this photo was amongst some slides we reviewed last week in So Cal.

Photo by Dick Zook

Dick was involved with Glen Deeds and the 505 Studebaker waiting in line beside Ak.

Burly

Offline Freud

« Reply #1714 on: May 09, 2011, 10:38:27 PM »
I altered it some.

Hope u don't mind.

FREUD
Since '63

• Age 70
« Reply #1715 on: May 09, 2011, 10:51:05 PM »
I altered it some.

Hope u don't mind.

FREUD

Lookin' good..............

B

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
« Reply #1716 on: May 09, 2011, 11:39:58 PM »
 All these pictures are great :cheers: someone could probably put a book together with all these photographs. (streamliner?????)
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Offline MattGuzzetta

« Reply #1717 on: May 10, 2011, 01:34:17 AM »
Wow, Alex Tremulis was a wild man!  I was lucky to go to Art Center at the time when Alex would show up at times. It was seeing his work on the Bob Leppan Triumph "Gyronaut" streamliner and the general great public interest in Bonneville with Craig Breedlove that got me hooked on streamlined vehicles.  When Bob Braverman and I showed up with his motorcycle streamliner and my car we discovered that Bob had the same problem I did when strapped into the car, the Triumph motor vibrated and transferred the vibrations into the driver's helmet so much that it rattled your eyeballs and everything went gray, you could not see.  Bob Leppan said that he had a drag racer small enough to keep his head away from the firewall and that was Roosevelt Lackey.  Rosie drove the car successfully and that made my year!  I also met the great Don Vesco and 2 years later we were partners, a dream come true! 
Here are some photos of car models that Alex was photographing on the salt, so we were both taking pictures of streamliners that year :-D
By the way, I love the redo on the slide that Freud did, I have the same problem with the overall blue cast that I have not figured how to get rid of :? 

The thing best about Bonneville is that you meet some of the most talented people in the world and they are totally approachable, great place :-)

Matt Guzzetta

Offline Tman

« Reply #1718 on: May 10, 2011, 10:28:06 AM »
New guy here sincerely thanks the effort to post up these pictures! Thanks and please keep them coming! :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1719 on: May 10, 2011, 10:47:41 AM »
Speaking of racing photos -- don't forget, boys and girls, that there's a whole bunch of photos in the landracing.com Photo Gallery.  You get there by clicking on the tab on the home page of the site.  We're putting up bunches of recent ones and trying to harvest more old-time photos, too.  If you've got any that we can put there -- please be in touch with me.  I'll let you know who it is that's doing the collating for the site - and you can send them.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #1720 on: May 10, 2011, 12:46:35 PM »
By the way, I love the redo on the slide that Freud did, I have the same problem with the overall blue cast that I have not figured how to get rid of

It is a simple color balance correction, easy to do, I just sent you a PM with some information on how to do it.

Larry

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #1721 on: May 10, 2011, 06:19:30 PM »
Speaking of racing photos -- don't forget, boys and girls, that there's a whole bunch of photos in the landracing.com Photo Gallery.  You get there by clicking on the tab on the home page of the site.  We're putting up bunches of recent ones and trying to harvest more old-time photos, too.  If you've got any that we can put there -- please be in touch with me.  I'll let you know who it is that's doing the collating for the site - and you can send them.  Thanks.

Don't I know it! (1384 pixs the first pass!)  :-o Harvesting these new ones for the Gallery. Will try to add some links to the topics!

By the way, I love the redo on the slide that Freud did, I have the same problem with the overall blue cast that I have not figured how to get rid of

It is a simple color balance correction, easy to do, I just sent you a PM with some information on how to do it.

Larry

I will (and did) correct these trying hard not to lose the original intent! (Some, like some of youse guys are pretty rough though!)

Get your scanners going guys!!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline streamliner

« Reply #1722 on: May 10, 2011, 11:50:15 PM »
Matt:  So you did follow each other around!  Your's and Braverman's earlier pix were on the same roll of film as these models.  It is a small world!

Alex had more fun with those models than any grown man should be allowed to have!  He loved designing, building, finishing and photographing them in all sorts of settings.  That's the Ceccato and Jones #1030 Stude looking like it's just pulling away from its push truck behind the first model...

...and to have a wife that fully supports your wanting to have a styling bridge on your patio is priceless.  It was eventually sold to the car builder Clenet in the late 1970's, as Alex was slowing down a bit in his model building pursuits.

www.gyronautx1.com

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #1723 on: May 11, 2011, 08:45:01 AM »
Streamliner, that patio sure looks familiar.  :-D Those 1/6 scale models usually resided under a glass coffee table in the living room if memory serves. Wayno

Offline streamliner

« Reply #1724 on: May 12, 2011, 01:27:12 AM »
Wayno:  If only you could have been a fly on the wall on that patio, what stories you could tell...

Craig Breedlove and Evel Kneivel's Sky Cycle:

Burt Munro working on the bike:

Bob McGrath and the Olympian:

I don't know who this is on the left.  I'm assuming it must be one of you guys. :?   That's Pete Politis on the right, Chrissie's brother and Gyronaut pit crew member:

www.gyronautx1.com