Author Topic: Old Bonneville Pictures  (Read 1314176 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Old Bonneville Pictures
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2009, 09:15:07 PM »
Yes, he did ride it out and back home, your memory sounds right on the speed, he didn't crack the long course.
But enough about V8s,
some non V8 stuff
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2009, 09:16:56 PM »
And some Huuummmmmer pics...  was a pretty car
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2009, 10:15:35 PM »
And back to the V8s, I think...  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline AJR192

« Reply #138 on: January 13, 2009, 12:34:59 AM »
The pic with Don and Mary West's T/A is cool with the old Moon hauler behind it. Keep 'em coming Stainless. Love this history lesson.......

Offline JimL

« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2009, 03:46:35 AM »
Couple of pics.

1.  Bud Hare (??) went fast with a 3-cylinder 750 Triumph.

2.  The first Honda 750 4 cylinder to ever run the salt (these are all 1969).  I believe it went down and got banged up pretty good.

3.  Mr. Munroe and his Indian.

4.  Me when I had more hair and less waistline, with my DOHC 450 Honda twin.

Sorry about the picture quality...these were taken with an 8mm Yashica Autoron that lasted two years in my pocket, in the field, in 'Nam.  It was all I had, at the time, since I got home only 1 month before the event!

Regards, JimL

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2009, 06:37:17 AM »
For some reason the Finn and Son Vega didn't hang around for long before being replaced with a Monza. I have some pictures of the Boss 302 powered motorcycle. He told me that he went 160 I think and had to lay down (tuck) on the tank which sucked his jacket into the carburator and shut it off. Rode the thing out there I think.

What year was the 302-powered bike on the salt?  For that matter any years that can be added about any of these great photos would be real welcome.

RtR

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2009, 08:57:14 AM »
Interesting looking front end on the Bud Hare bike.

Pete

Offline DSR Bruts

• Salt Fever Reliever 1
« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2009, 09:06:40 AM »
Ray.....with regard to the Boss 302 powered bike, it had to be in the mid '70's, because I was working for Holley Carb at the time, headed for the salt, and I stopped at Toole at the NAPA Store, and he was parked out in front (he drove it to Bonneville)....and I asked him where he was headed, and he said to race at Bonneville, which was where I was headed.  He had a helmet with a fin on the top and wore leathers with tassles on the arms and legs.  Cool bike, and that was before all the V-8's were put in bikes...only other one I ever saw was EJ Potters.  Very interesting person, and as I remember he made alot of runs and had a great time, althought they made him clip his tassles on his pants....somethings you never forget, and that was one.
Bill and Ross Brutsman
778 D/STR
SDRC, BNI, SCTA, NSRA, SEMA
De Oppresso Liber

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2009, 09:51:25 AM »
Stainless,
Love the old Buick. Any idea who it was and about what year? Anybody have any idea how it performed? Thanks for the Pics. Doug
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2009, 10:27:10 AM »
First, JimL, great pictures give us more. 

So far most the stuff I posted should be 78 thru 80, the quality of the pictures from the old 126 camera and my storage techniques is lacking but I hope everyone gets the point.  The Bluebird and our early lakester are from 84-86.  Threw those in because Bo wanted to see them.
Keep helping guys, I didn't think of making a picture log back then, I was just taking pictures of the things I thought were neat to show my friends.  I would have lost that by now anyway.  I think I need to go look in the basement, I should have another box of pictures there, but I'll scan several hundred more before I need to do that.
Here are 2 more, and then I need to scan some more later....  :|
Stainless

Offline RichFox

« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2009, 11:06:59 AM »
I believe I took pictures of the Boss 302 Bike in '80 and '81 at USFRA meets. The guy had on a ruffled shirt also. Quite the dude.

Offline TouringComet

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered streamliner
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2009, 11:32:55 AM »
In the post reply #132, the bottom picture, of the Vincent with the red tank wearing number 9A, that's John Ulver.  He's been out to the BUB meet the last few years as a spectator for Max's effort, you might recall seeing him riding around on a Royal Enfield.  He also is the guy that told me he went down on that bike, wearing a two piece set of leathers, and the top rolled up as he slid along on his back, and that incident was the reason for the rule change to one piece or zippered two piece leathers.  He still has that bike.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2009, 11:58:41 AM »
The Buick was one of the few "passenger" cars as I remember.  Anyone have a picture of the passenger?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2009, 04:06:42 PM »
Stainless - Any idea if the pic of the 219 Stude was taken the year (1980) it set the D/CBGC record at 209 and change?  That's the
one we're going to chase, so it's got some sentimental value.

I'm pretty sure that is '80. If you look you can see they added a "1" to 219 so Don must have set the record in Gas Coupe then we changed it over to run Alt. Mike Cook drove it and had a wild ride.  :-D
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2009, 10:39:57 PM »
found this