Author Topic: We will never see this again  (Read 11162 times)

Offline Freud

Re: We will never see this again
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2009, 11:03:54 PM »
I'm only requesting a City and State, not a set of coordinates for a GPS.

Parts raiders seems rather nebulous.

Required is my suggestion. What about it Barrett? Agree?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2009, 11:24:03 PM »
I'm in agreement with Freud, but what bothers me even more is the use of computer names or nick names that the entire community doesn't recognize.  How in the hell do we know someone face to face when all we know is screen names.
I have gone to profiles often to see who someone really is, and find nothing filled in.
Requiring more info in the sign up sheet will be helpful, and certainly more personal.
Rick

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2009, 06:00:44 AM »
I'm in agreement with Freud, but what bothers me even more is the use of computer names or nick names that the entire community doesn't recognize.  How in the hell do we know someone face to face when all we know is screen names.
I have gone to profiles often to see who someone really is, and find nothing filled in.
Requiring more info in the sign up sheet will be helpful, and certainly more personal.

Rick
If you are on a salt lake in South Australia and need your bike scrutineerd. I'm the one in the brown hat
http://www.landracing.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=138&pos=33
Grayem
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2009, 07:56:03 AM »
Thanks for that bit.  Maybe we'd phrase the "location" requirement to need at least something like "northwestern US" or "Alabama" or something very general.  Any other input, folks?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2009, 09:20:34 AM »
Freud and Rick, I have to hide behind my screen name or they will 86 my witness protection not to mention when I'm being an a-hole no one will know who to be mad at....  :roll:

But for those that recognize me anyway I included a reminder of what I look like....  :-D

pic not loading....sorry  :cry:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 09:27:12 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2009, 09:24:52 AM »
I'm all for real name and location. There's probably no need for last names and the location could be rather general. I could see someone well known in the speed industry not wanting everyone knowing who they are and there's no reason to pinpoint location to the point where the bad guys know where you are. At the same time it's sometimes nice to have someone close by who you can do a little brainstorming with when you run into a roadblock. Most landspeed racers I know are rather sociable.

Pete

Offline Constant Kinetics

• I'm not Crazy, I'm Invincible!
    • Constant Kinetics
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2010, 04:37:38 PM »
When I was a kid, I remember hanging out at night with my buddies and we made a game of guessing what was coming up the street, before we were able to get a good look at it.  I got pretty good at it, and could tell, by headlight arrangements, reflections off of bumpers, overall height, and even in the dark, what was coming up the street.

Sound had something to do with it, too.  If it was four horizontal headlights and the deep burble of a 383 with duals, we needed to get back to the porch - that was the unmistakable combination of the local cops, and we were probably out past curfew.

Always wanted one of those Police Package Satellites - pretend I'm Kent McCord in Adam 12 . . .

I got good at telling on oncoming Crown Victoria at night by it's headlights, followed by the lights on the roof coming on as they were apaerntly just as good at spotting my '78 Fury! :cheers:
Wierd is good