Author Topic: We will never see this again  (Read 11171 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: We will never see this again
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 01:51:00 AM »
Having done points and jets and also done EFI...

Gimme a notebook computer instead of a timing light and jet box any day. :-D

But never forget how to do both.  Digital info is great.  But the ability to manually index a cam, correctly gap points, read plugs, and tune a Holley or a Quadrajet by ear are talents that are quickly being lost, and it is these talents that will make you a superior tuner.  Use EVERY tool in your tool box.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 08:45:11 PM »
yeah :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 10:20:30 PM »

But never forget how to do both.  Digital info is great.  But the ability to manually index a cam, correctly gap points, read plugs, and tune a Holley or a Quadrajet by ear are talents that are quickly being lost, and it is these talents that will make you a superior tuner.  Use EVERY tool in your tool box.

Milwaukee Midget

Your statement is totally correct my dad he was great at tuning 427 High Risers, 427 SOHC Hemi, all FE engines and Chevy and Mopars. The talent to tune those engines the people that have that ability are going away to computer EEC and other electronic ignitions and computer tuned cars. The superior old age tuners where the best things have changed so much now days

McRat

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 10:32:40 PM »

What changes is how you make the adjustment, not how you tune.  It's every bit as easy to blow stuff up on a computer screen as it is with a wrench.  You just have more time for a beer when you screw it up digitally. :-D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 10:37:46 PM by McRat »

McRat

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 10:54:55 PM »

Milwaukee Midget

Your statement is totally correct my dad he was great at tuning 427 High Risers, 427 SOHC Hemi, all FE engines and Chevy and Mopars. The talent to tune those engines the people that have that ability are going away to computer EEC and other electronic ignitions and computer tuned cars. The superior old age tuners where the best things have changed so much now days

The new GM 427 still has 16 valves and 16 pushrods.  It's a small block though.  It must pass Super Low Emissions standards, and meet CAFE fuel economy, and run in all weather at all altitudes.  It's badged at 505HP based on a more conservative standard than the old engines were.  Going by the 1968 specs, it's about 570HP naturally aspirated.  Far higher at a lower octane than the BBC's ever hit stock.  The computer that makes this possible has over 250 different tables to control the spark and fuel.  Huge amounts of man-hours are spent on a dyno to tune this.  It COULD be done with a mechanical system.  Fuel is fuel, and air is air.  But the complexity of the system and money required to do it would be monumental.  Digital fuel injection didn't happen because it was BETTER.  It happened because it was a cheaper solution.

It's just different tools.  When computer programmable valve control, direct injection, and programmable displacement come down the line, even the last bastion of carburated performance, racing, will fade off the radar screen as it won't be competitive any longer. 

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Scutterbotch and bortbread and a whottle of biskey
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 03:00:29 AM »
           The cars in the images or photos are i think old fashion.

Another sporrin wearin' spammer , back to the Loch with you Nessy...............
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Scutterbotch and bortbread and a whottle of biskey
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 08:14:33 AM »
           The cars in the images or photos are i think old fashion.

Another sporrin wearin' spammer , back to the Loch with you Nessy...............

May be time to add a verification to the sign up...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 08:19:52 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 08:27:21 AM »
Bob's on it.  Verification?  You are spending too much tie talking with Amo -- you're starting to talk like him.

So by verification -- one of those little things where the registerer is asked to type in what he sees?  But a crawler program can't see it?  Izzat whatcha mean?  I'm asking not onl for my education, but also so the others that read this will learn a word or idea now and then, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 08:31:09 AM »
Yep, they are a pain to the signer sometimes but a real pain to the creepy crawlers, they require human intervention
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline sabat

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2009, 12:27:39 PM »
They call it a "CAPTCHA"  -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

Now there are teams of folks somewhere who type these in all day for spammers. Rare though I guess.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2009, 01:52:25 PM »
Last car before the `Burb ( beside the `32 3 window) was a SAAB 900 SPG. Never mistaken for anything else. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
Thanks, Dean, for showing me a new word (to me, at least).  Captcha, hey?  I guess there are lots of words being generated in the world of computers and the internet and such.  We'll see if we need to install such a device here on the Forum registration page.  At least I doubt that the existing members will have to go back and do it -- all we need to do is filter new folks from new rogue programs.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 09:10:21 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 08:55:14 PM »
It certainly would be interesting if everyone would post where they live.

There must be some embarrassment in that because most avoid that part of the registration.

In my case it would help notify people of the B'ville NW Reunion.

Others may even hook up for the trip to the Salt.

What's an  objection to this practical request?

I don't imagine many are in the witness protection program and if they are they didn't use their own name anyhow.

I suppose the one most involved is the Webmaster.  Webmaster, any GOOD answer?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 09:14:25 PM »
Who you calling a webmaster, buddy?  You'd better watch your tongue!

Okay -- I don't know -- never gave it much thought -- as to why many folks don't bother to fill out the information part of registration.  Glen, especially, and a few others of us have frequently suggested that a new person might add his location...so that perhaps we could have someone else in that newbie's physical area get in touch with him.

And so on go the reasons for filling out the form.  Maybe I should oughta think about making parts of the registration "required" -- like when ordering something online and you won't get past the page if the lines marked "required" aren't filled in.  Think it'd be worth the hassle?  Think it'd keep some folks from registering.  Think we'd be the worse off for having those folks avoid us -- the ones that are too shy to tell us where they live, that is?

Nancy's getting ready for bedtime -- ergo, so will I.  See you all tomorrow. . .

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2009, 10:48:09 PM »
Security from the midnight parts raiders is a big concern for a lot of folks.  More people than will admit it, don't have a shop or garage to hide their bike or car in.  They are vague about their personal details for good reasons.