Author Topic: We will never see this again  (Read 11164 times)

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

We will never see this again
« on: December 20, 2008, 11:59:36 AM »

We will never see this again

Back in the days when cars had  style, and even with so many

makes and models, all changing every year, they made a profit.

And, not only that . ..one could sit on the porch and name  the cars
as they drove by . . .unlike today . . . when they all look the same ....

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

Re: We will never see this again
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 12:02:06 PM »
Never Again how true

McRat

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 12:18:44 PM »
Very nice!   :cheers:

Well, at least station wagons came back!  :-D

First they called them mini-vans, then SUV's, now they are labelled CrossOver? whatever the heck that is.  They are still station wagons. 

But some of the modern cars are going to be classics at some point in the future.

We have a C5 Z06 Vette, and while many think it's ugly, I still smile everytime I look at it, and get an ear-to-ear grin everytime I drive it.  It handles like a slotcar, accelerates violently, and brakes like a parachute.  Yeah, they don't make them like they used to, but the new GM technology must be driven hard to really appreciate it. 

I like looking at the classics, but I like driving the new hotrods.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 12:40:31 PM »
When I was a kid, I remember hanging out at night with my buddies and we made a game of guessing what was coming up the street, before we were able to get a good look at it.  I got pretty good at it, and could tell, by headlight arrangements, reflections off of bumpers, overall height, and even in the dark, what was coming up the street.

Sound had something to do with it, too.  If it was four horizontal headlights and the deep burble of a 383 with duals, we needed to get back to the porch - that was the unmistakable combination of the local cops, and we were probably out past curfew.

Always wanted one of those Police Package Satellites - pretend I'm Kent McCord in Adam 12 . . .

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

McRat

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 12:48:56 PM »
Today if a Honda Accord came down the street, you'd have to get close enough to read the VIN number to be sure what kind of car it was.  :-D

All the modern "commuter" sedans all look the same due to aero requirements for emissions and mileage.

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 12:55:17 PM »
Today if a Honda Accord came down the street, you'd have to get close enough to read the VIN number to be sure what kind of car it was.  :-D

All the modern "commuter" sedans all look the same due to aero requirements for emissions and mileage.

Ford Mustang

I think Ford did a good job with the 2005-2008 Mustangs they look close to what the 65 looked like. The New Challenger coming out has some looks of the old style but the true style of the years gone by will never be the same. Cars of today are like tin cans you can take and push the finder or hoods in with your finger 

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 01:06:15 PM »
Back in the mid '60's when I was in High School I was lucky enough to get the family car, a '57 Chevy Belair H/T, Tropical Turquoise with an Ivory top. Everything of the era was two tone. The first thing I did was to have the top painted to match the rest of the car.

About 10 years ago I bought a '57 2 door 210 Chevy that was painted Tropical Turquoise. One of the first things I did was to paint the Top Ivory. How times change!

Tom

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 02:40:38 PM »
i like when cars had carbs and i could work on them, even if it was half azzed.
they were the best.

franey

bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Tzoom

• All revved up with no place to go - Meatloaf 1977
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 02:50:33 PM »
I remember rushing from school to go to the dealerships the day they pulled the paper from the showroom windows to reveal new cars for the new model year.  They always had 1/24 scale models of the cars on the window ledges for us to hold and dream of the day when we would be old enough to have something that neat. (We didn't have the word 'cool' to use in that context back in the late 50s.)
Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games --- Ernest Hemingway

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 11:29:13 PM »
Saltwheels,

I'm with you.

It 2003 I bought my wife a Silver Corvette (50th aniv. and our Silver aniv.) to compensate for all the toys I've had.

We got it home and I openned the hood and looked at the engine. Yep, it was there. Last time I openned the hood.

I know how to tune a Carb, but.................

Tom

Offline pap

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 11:37:19 PM »
If the big 3 go away,All we will have is RICERS :? :? :?
McBride Motor Sports
3-T-Bird SC
70-71 Ranger XLT
71-429SCJ Torino Cobra-4Speed
82-Chevy S10-350

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 11:53:51 PM »
If the big 3 go away,All we will have is RICERS :? :? :?

Lets hope not

We need American Made cars to stay here in Folsom California we have Folsom lake Ford, Chrysler, Chevy. There all hurting to sell cars and a brand new Honda dealership is being build next to them go figure  :x  I guess Honda is number one is sales?

Offline Freud

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 11:55:28 PM »
Ricers that will still be running when the remnants of the Big 3 plants have turned to dust.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline racergeo

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 11:56:56 PM »
   Often times I am asked,  by people who know I am in the automotive field, questions about mechanical systems on newer cars. I have to explain to them that I am in the auto machine shop buisness and it has been 40 yrs. since I have worked on cars. If a car has more then 1 fuel line, 1 vacume line and 1 wire to the distributor, I'm confused.LOL  
   I personally believe that if GM is going to survive and I'm going to ever BUY A NEW CAR they're going to have to build an EXACT duplication of a 57 CHEV HT but with modern power train and creature comforts and sell it at a half way reasonable price! I THINK IT WOULD SELL! Lets mount a write in campaign.
   Where my race car is concerned I may have to enter the 21st century with some elect. F.I.
                 George

McRat

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 12:20:01 AM »
Having done points and jets and also done EFI...

Gimme a notebook computer instead of a timing light and jet box any day. :-D