Author Topic: Noel Black "Rhinoceros" twin engine streamliner 400mph?  (Read 51971 times)

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

Noel Black "Rhinoceros" twin engine streamliner 400mph?
« on: December 20, 2008, 09:15:25 AM »
Anyone remember this?

This is from NHRA notebook

Dan Tuttle dropped me a line to say that Noel Black's twin-engine car actually wasn't a Top Fuel car but that it was a Bonneville Streamliner nicknamed the Rhinoceros, in which he was later killed. "Reportedly, the car was well above 400 when it lost its belly pan," he said. "Apparently [this photo] was another test, probably at Fremont."

I was able to find mention of the car in "Landspeed Louise" Noeth's book, Bonneville: The Fastest Place on Earth. Here is a picture of the car with bodywork taken by George Callaway. Noeth says the Rhinoceros name came from the body bumps to accommodate the engines.

Drag racing historian Bret Kepner tells me that the car was created by Black and partner Bert Peterson at their B&N Automotive shop and was never designed to be a dragster at all. "It was purely a land-speed record vehicle that because of its bizarre chassis and drivetrain configuration needed extensive testing, and the dragstrip was pretty much the only place to do it," he wrote. "Officially known as Motion 1 but dubbed the Rhinoceros when carrying its full body panels, the car crashed at 382 mph during the SCTA SpeedWeek event at Bonneville in 1970. Black died as a result of the crash."

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 09:20:24 AM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
Re: Noel Black "Rhinoceros" twin engine streamliner 400mph?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 12:13:17 PM »
Dan Tuttle dropped me a line to say that Noel Black's twin-engine car actually wasn't a Top Fuel car but that it was a Bonneville Streamliner nicknamed the Rhinoceros, in which he was later killed. "Reportedly, the car was well above 400 when it lost its belly pan," he said. "Apparently [this photo] was another test, probably at Fremont."

the car broke a rear axle between the 4 and 5 miles.  it is surmised that this caused the car to drastically experience unequal power distribution (my father, elmo gillette, was at the 5-mile when the crash occurred.  he heard one of the engines suddenly rev, noel lift, then hammer the throttle again, which led many to believe that noel thought he'd hit a soft-spot on the salt and was just lifting when he thought it got loose.), which turned the flat-sided/topped streamliner into a wing when the car got sideways.  at that point the belly pan and every-other body panel came off of the car, including a tire and wheel, which physically broke one of the timing lights at the 5 mile at a speed of 415 mph.

I was able to find mention of the car in "Landspeed Louise" Noeth's book, Bonneville: The Fastest Place on Earth. Noeth says the Rhinoceros name came from the body bumps to accommodate the engines.

the name of the car was "motion I".  anyone who referred to motion as "the rhinoceros" was a detractor, photojournalist, magazine reader or someone not-in-the-know, which probably explains noeth's incorrect statement.

Drag racing historian Bret Kepner tells me that the car was created by Black and partner Bert Peterson at their B&N Automotive shop and was never designed to be a dragster at all. "It was purely a land-speed record vehicle that because of its bizarre chassis and drivetrain configuration needed extensive testing, and the dragstrip was pretty much the only place to do it," he wrote.

a more accurate reason: running motion at the drags was a method of grabbing a few extra bucks to finance the project.  i do think i remember hearing fremont as one of the venues where bert and noel ran the car.  they also ran it at bonneville raceway (or whatever the name of that dragstrip was/is) in salt lake just before speedweek in 1969.  since bert was a longtime drag race promoter and strip owner, i'm sure it was quite easy for them to book the car at any number of norcal dragstips.  my association with bert and noel (and involvement with motion I) didn't come about until 1970, a year after they last ran the car on pavement.

kepner is correct: motion was never intended to be a top fuel dragster.  it was intended to set the wheel-driven land speed record at 450 mph.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 02:13:34 PM by DrofRockology »
gregory w. gillette
aka: monty wolf (not monte wolfe)

"fear is never boring!"

read all about it: http://montywolf.blogspot.com/

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 12:27:18 PM »
Thanks---Your retelling your pops observation ties together some of the various stories I had heard over the years. Although I have heard varous stories as to which axel broke and why.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 08:06:07 PM »

the car broke a rear axle between the 4 and 5 miles.  it is surmised that this caused the car to drastically experience unequal power distribution (my father, elmo gillette, was at the 5-mile when the crash occurred.  he heard one of the engines suddenly rev, noel lift, then hammer the throttle again, which led many to believe that noel thought he'd hit a soft-spot on the salt and was just lifting when he thought it got loose.), which turned the flat-sided/topped streamliner into a wing when the car got sideways.  at that point the belly pan and every-other body panel came off of the car, including a tire and wheel, which physically broke one of the timing lights at the 5 mile at a speed of 415 mph.

I was able to find mention of the car in "Landspeed Louise" Noeth's book, Bonneville: The Fastest Place on Earth. Noeth says the Rhinoceros name came from the body bumps to accommodate the engines.

the name of the car was "motion I".  anyone who referred to motion as "the rhinoceros" was a detractor, photojournalist, magazine reader or someone not-in-the-know, which probably explains noeth's incorrect statement.

Drag racing historian Bret Kepner tells me that the car was created by Black and partner Bert Peterson at their B&N Automotive shop and was never designed to be a dragster at all. "It was purely a land-speed record vehicle that because of its bizarre chassis and drivetrain configuration needed extensive testing, and the dragstrip was pretty much the only place to do it," he wrote.

a more accurate reason: running motion at the drags was a method of grabbing a few extra bucks to finance the project.  i do think i remember hearing fremont as one of the venues where bert and noel ran the car.  they also ran it at bonneville raceway (or whatever the name of that dragstrip was/is) in salt lake just before speedweek in 1969.  since bert was a longtime drag race promoter and strip owner, i'm sure it was quite easy for them to book the car at any number of norcal dragstips.  my association with bert and noel (and involvement with motion I) didn't come about until 1970, a year after they last ran the car on pavement.

kepner is correct: motion was never intended to be a top fuel dragster.  it was intended to set the wheel-driven land speed record at 450 mph.

DrofRockology

Thanks for the info on the streamliner I was wondering the true facts on the crash and about the car itself

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 06:56:37 PM »
Hi Jim

My dad was very good friends with Bert and Noel, I actually had the privlage of building my first engine with Bert at his house in Sacramento, 1970 was my first year at Bonneville I was 7yr old but I always remember the sound of what i use to call the Big Blue car.
 I posted some photos in the old photo thread. Up untill a few years ago my dad had Noels briefcase with alot of his notes in it. We were able to locate his daughter and return the briefcase to her. from what i remember he also was looking into building a rocket powered car.
 I know in the briefcase there were some photos and notes of some of his trips to Aerojet. Berts son Steve is involved with the Got Salt
lakester and is at Bonneville every year. I have more photos but I need to scan them.

Gary Cole DCWATERJET Z
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Offline lvsalt

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 07:42:08 PM »
I got this photo from a guy selling old drag photos at Sacramento Autorama a few years ago (I dont recall his name) All he knew was he took the photo at Fremont

Gary Cole  DCWATERJET Z

Gardnerville ,NV

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 08:09:18 PM »
Hi Jim

My dad was very good friends with Bert and Noel, I actually had the privlage of building my first engine with Bert at his house in Sacramento, 1970 was my first year at Bonneville I was 7yr old but I always remember the sound of what i use to call the Big Blue car.
 I posted some photos in the old photo thread. Up untill a few years ago my dad had Noels briefcase with alot of his notes in it. We were able to locate his daughter and return the briefcase to her. from what i remember he also was looking into building a rocket powered car.
 I know in the briefcase there were some photos and notes of some of his trips to Aerojet. Berts son Steve is involved with the Got Salt
lakester and is at Bonneville every year. I have more photos but I need to scan them.

Gary Cole DCWATERJET Z

Gary

Thats neat building your first engine with Bert the car has an amazing chassis build with twin engine design. Looking forward to seeing more pictures very interesting deal it was I appreciate your info and pictures

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 08:12:48 PM »
I got this photo from a guy selling old drag photos at Sacramento Autorama a few years ago (I dont recall his name) All he knew was he took the photo at Fremont

Gary Cole  DCWATERJET Z

Gardnerville ,NV

Gary

Thats a great photo of the car without the body in testing at Fremont I can see more close the chassis design thank you

Offline Model A coupe

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 08:54:22 PM »
I was on the salt in'69 and'70.I took some 8mm.home movies and 1
still photo of it in'69.Funny,I was just looking at my photo of it last
night.Remember it well.Also have a magazine showing it on a dragstrip,but not the ones shown above.

Offline lvsalt

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 11:08:01 PM »
the briefcase my dad had contained the original blueprints for the chassis,Noel's daughter is in possesion of
that.

G

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 12:21:18 PM »

Something I found on the web

Dr. of Rockology's Racing Page

My father, Elmo Gillette, was a pioneering Hot Rodder; participating on the Dry Lake Beds of Southern California and the very first official Drag Race, ever. However, he gave it up when he married my mother in 1952. Naturally, I was very much attracted to the thrill of Hot Rodding, myself.
During the 60's we started to travel to The Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah for the Bonneville Nationals. By the time I was 14, I was a Course Steward on The World's Fastest Speedway. At the age of 16 I was on the pit crew for Motion I; a twin engine Streamliner that was built to break the Land Speed Record (409+ MPH) for wheel driven vehicles. Motion I crashed at a speed in excess of 425 MPH and the driver, Noel Black, suffered fatal injuries.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 12:34:52 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 04:52:53 PM »

there was something about the sound of a bert peterson engine, especially the sound of two bert peterson engines, on a common-throttle!  hearing noel rev them, while i stood next to the car between the two engines, is something i will always remember.  like one of those old stereo demonstration records (remember records?) on nitro.

I posted some photos in the old photo thread.

i'd love to see any and all pics that you may have!

i recently found some pics of the studebaker that your dad drove.

Up untill a few years ago my dad had Noels briefcase with alot of his notes in it. We were able to locate his daughter and return the briefcase to her. from what i remember he also was looking into building a rocket powered car. I know in the briefcase there were some photos and notes of some of his trips to Aerojet.

i wish i could remember the name of that project.

i do remember seeing pictures of noel, wearing a hard hat, working on a rocket engine prior to a launch.

from what i know, despite the differences between wheel-driven vehicles and propulsion-driven vehicles, noel was looking at his experiences driving motion I as a training ground for driving the rocket car.

i may have seen a drawing of noel's idea for a car.

I have more photos but I need to scan them.

please!
gregory w. gillette

"fear is never boring!"

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 04:58:25 PM »
more cole, peterson and schaffer studebaker pics.
gregory w. gillette

"fear is never boring!"

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 04:59:23 PM »
and...
gregory w. gillette

"fear is never boring!"

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 07:27:19 PM »
more cole, peterson and schaffer studebaker pics.

Gary

Your dads Studebaker looks nice great pictures Greg posted what size Hemi was your dad running?  671 Supercharged?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 07:29:18 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »