Author Topic: D/BSTR under construction  (Read 56416 times)

Offline bvillercr

Re: D/BSTR under construction
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 01:39:40 AM »
Rear suspension?

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 02:24:10 AM »
Rear suspension?
It is a typical drag race style 32" ladder bar with coil overs and a diagonal link.The kit came from A.R.T. with adjustable ladder bars and non adjustable Afco shocks. I can not remmember the spring rates but after we added everything to the car I know they were a little too soft.When we set the car up , the ladder bars were in the top hole of the front crossmember so i knew there would be clearance when we made the floor. In the mad thrash before speedweek didn't even think of the instant center being too high at that setting, so i am shure that didn't help.
Mark Wilcox,
142 D/BSTR  record qualifier 2011 219.935
182 D/BGMMP record holder 2019 215.798

Offline t russell

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 07:30:55 AM »
Thanks for posting your build.That is a very cool ride.
terry

Offline speediesparks

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2008, 09:05:44 AM »
  I would check the scrub radius also.The first year in my roadster it was a hand full.I was running a 4 inch wheel with 2 inch backspacing and at 170 it was all over the place  :-o.The following year went to a 4 inch wheel with 4 inch backspacing and went over 205 with no problem :-D.Is this the car that goes around at Speedweek 2007,was watching Marks' video last night and it looks like the same car.  :cheers:
Just counting the days to go racing!

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 01:02:20 PM »
  I would check the scrub radius also.The first year in my roadster it was a hand full.I was running a 4 inch wheel with 2 inch backspacing and at 170 it was all over the place  :-o.The following year went to a 4 inch wheel with 4 inch backspacing and went over 205 with no problem :-D.Is this the car that goes around at Speedweek 2007,was watching Marks' video last night and it looks like the same car.  :cheers:
Thanks for the info, looks like the scrub radius will be a focus point this winter and I have not seen any video from 07 .that was the only year it has been out and it only went around on one run. Is that the video that the SCTA sells?
Mark Wilcox,

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 04:50:09 PM »
Check with the Supercharger Store---they have a Pro charger front mount with quick change gears---if you continue to have spin issues ---look into SCRUB Radius...  looks like you have a good bit of postive--ZERO is better.
I have dealt with the supercharger store, I bought my pulleys and water injection from them . I looked into there gear drive unit, very nice piece but in the street roadster class, it would be a tough fit on my car due to the limit on the hood length, engine set back and retention of the radiator core. On the scrub radius I am going to need some help, all of my front end is off the shelf parts. Stock reproduction spindles with Willwood hubs and 4" steel wheels with 2" back spacing. When I set this car up I never even heard of scrub radius,other than wheels with more backspacing is there anyone making parts to decrease scrub radius for a Ford straight axle.                                                                                                                                thanks mark

A different offset on the wheel could help if that is an option.  A different wheel diameter can help.  Machining or a different hub could help or work on the front spindle....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/construction%20page-21.html

.........from the pictures it doesn't seem to be way off, but I couldn't really tell from the angle they were shot.

c ya,

Sum

Offline speediesparks

• New folks
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2008, 12:23:09 PM »
    The web site for the video is landspeedracingvideo.com,it's the opening spin on part two for Speedweek 07 :-o
Just counting the days to go racing!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2008, 02:22:35 PM »
It is a typical drag race style 32" ladder bar with coil overs and a diagonal link.The kit came from A.R.T. with adjustable ladder bars and non adjustable Afco shocks. I can not remmember the spring rates but after we added everything to the car I know they were a little too soft.When we set the car up , the ladder bars were in the top hole of the front crossmember so i knew there would be clearance when we made the floor. In the mad thrash before speedweek didn't even think of the instant center being too high at that setting, so i am shure that didn't help.

Look closely at the position of your diagonal link as well.  I am assuming it is a panhard arm.  It can cause a little rear steer with suspension movement.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2008, 12:20:39 AM »

A different offset on the wheel could help if that is an option.  A different wheel diameter can help.  Machining or a different hub could help or work on the front spindle....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/construction%20page-21.html

.........from the pictures it doesn't seem to be way off, but I couldn't really tell from the angle they were shot.

c ya,

Sum
[/quote]Thanks for the pics thats a nice build you have there. That gives me some good ideas, my uncle is a machinist by trade and has a lathe in his home shop so I will talk to him about the spindles and hubs.I checked out the rest of your site, thats  a great reference for cars, even have my car in there . Under our name it just shows Wilcox ??, it was supposed to be Wilcox Garage but when I signed up I think my handwriting was a little sloppy( too much MONSTER getting the car together).                                                                                                                        thanks,  Mark
Mark Wilcox,

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2008, 12:31:04 AM »

Look closely at the position of your diagonal link as well.  I am assuming it is a panhard arm.  It can cause a little rear steer with suspension movement.
[/quote]With the diagonal link it ties the front left mounting point ( at the cross member )of the ladder bar to the rear right mounting point ( on the rear end) of the ladder bar. So when the suspension moves up and down ,it doesnt move side to side like a panhard bar. 
Mark Wilcox,

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2008, 11:30:32 AM »
....................... thats  a great reference for cars, even have my car in there . Under our name it just shows Wilcox ??, it was supposed to be Wilcox Garage but when I signed up I think my handwriting was a little sloppy( too much MONSTER getting the car together).................thanks,  Mark

Very Nice car......................

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bville-cars-1/142-2007.html ............

I'll add the "Garage" part and the ??, ?? is for your "City, State", so if I have those I'll also add that,

Sum
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 11:33:39 AM by Sumner »

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2008, 06:12:48 AM »
....................... thats  a great reference for cars, even have my car in there . Under our name it just shows Wilcox ??, it was supposed to be Wilcox Garage but when I signed up I think my handwriting was a little sloppy( too much MONSTER getting the car together).................thanks,  Mark

Very Nice car......................

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bville-cars-1/142-2007.html ............

I'll add the "Garage" part and the ??, ?? is for your "City, State", so if I have those I'll also add that,

Sum
Thanks Sum, we come out of Enumclaw Washington.                                                                                                           Thanks Mark             
Mark Wilcox,

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2008, 10:29:29 AM »
................... we come out of Enumclaw Washington......................Thanks Mark

Done,

Sum

Offline JimL

Re:scrub radius solution for pretty cheap
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2008, 11:01:25 PM »
When I had to fix the 797 car, I had simple hubs machined from round solid aluminum stock.  They basically look like a top hat, with the 5 studs sticking up through the "brim".  Bore out the center, for the spindle, and have them turn each end to use your original bearing races.  Heat the aluminum in hot oil, or the oven, and assemble the races/bearings directly onto the spindle to pull the bearings in dead straight (if you pound the races into the bare aluminum, it'll gall and they'll be crooked).  I actually start with the races pretty hot, also.  I know that sounds goofy, but the steel doesn't grow much and if it's cool the aluminum grabs it pretty quick...learned that trick putting sleeves into motorcycle cylinders.

Mine were done by a custom wheel fabricator (any of the small aftermarket wheel companies can do it, and they already have the jigs set up for 5 on 4 1/2).  I think it ran about 150 bucks...they seemed to think it was a pretty easy job, compared to the fancy stuff they are normally doing.  I don't have a name anymore...it was just one of those little outfits that come and go as wheel styles change, and a friend made the arrangements while we were scrambling to get the car ready.

One catch...your wheel center hole needs to big enough to keep the aluminum pretty thick.

Hope this is useful for somebody.
Regards, JimL

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2008, 11:08:33 PM »
I had to take a die grinder to my center hole to get the wheel on----but it was worth it ----it goes straight and doesn't HUNT!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!