Author Topic: D/BSTR under construction  (Read 56412 times)

Offline wilcox garage

D/BSTR under construction
« on: December 18, 2008, 03:13:01 AM »
this is the start of our street roadster after we Put together the American stamping 32 railshere it is almost ready to put on the ground. the next three shots are 5 days before the start of speedweek 07 we made it through tech on sunday to make our first run on monday morning. made 9 runs through the rest of the week got my rookie runs in , made it up to my B license,qualified the car to run the long course,and also got to experience a roadster spin at 176 mph it was a great week . Now the car is under a little change to make it get hooked up a little better and paint some of that bare metal, the salt was not to friendly.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 03:46:34 AM by wilcox garage »
Mark Wilcox,
142 D/BSTR  record qualifier 2011 219.935
182 D/BGMMP record holder 2019 215.798

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Re: D/BSTR under construction
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 08:50:42 AM »
Nice job..What`s next to it in the first pic.? :-)
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 09:15:56 AM »
Nice Job, looks really great.  All untreated surfaces will assume an oxidized surface....  :-)

Spin at 176?  most of them don't spin until 180  :| OK, just kidding...  I didn't notice any ballast or where the weight was biased.
Did you have some extra weight anywhere?  Some friends of ours from CO spun almost every run at the same speed until they figured out where to put an extra 100 lbs of weight.

Nice car
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 10:26:52 PM »
Its a 68 camaro convertable, it is one of my brothers customers cars undergoing a complete resto.I  was wrong that is the 65 mustang convertable also a customers car.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 10:58:20 PM by wilcox garage »
Mark Wilcox,

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 10:48:14 PM »
Nice Job, looks really great.  All untreated surfaces will assume an oxidized surface....  :-)

Spin at 176?  most of them don't spin until 180  :| OK, just kidding...  I didn't notice any ballast or where the weight was biased.
Did you have some extra weight anywhere?  Some friends of ours from CO spun almost every run at the same speed until they figured out where to put an extra 100 lbs of weight.

Nice car
First off thanks, it was a lot of work, at first we thought it was going to be easy just a simple roadster project. I got in over my head but with a lot of help we got it close. it doesn't show in the pics but we had 300 lbs of ballast on each side of the driveline/transmission area,   and then another 200 lbs where the passenger would usually sit. without the weight it weighed in at 2650, after the ballast 3450 and when we scaled it we were within 45lbs+- per wheel. After the spin we filled the rear water tank [about 15 gallons],took a little gear out , rolled the caster back another couple degrees, and turned the toe in a turn. that seemed to help but it was still a handfull. We took 08 off from competing so we are changing a few things to make it better and try to actually finish the car before it comes back out.
Mark Wilcox,

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 11:29:49 PM »
Which procharger is that, nice build

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 12:21:03 AM »

Nice car. I am sure you did but just is case check it for square, and check the circumference of the tires. I run 60 psi in one rear and 70 in the other. Good luck  Vince
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 01:07:27 AM »
Which procharger is that, nice build
Its an F2 , I bought it from a friend who never used it on his drag car . Its to big for the 291 ci, so we just turned it down with the pulleys ,we are only spinning it at 35,000 to get 19 psi at sea level. Thanks.
Mark Wilcox,

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 01:14:04 AM »

Nice car. I am sure you did but just is case check it for square, and check the circumference of the tires. I run 60 psi in one rear and 70 in the other. Good luck  Vince
Thanks ,we aligned it ourselves, it was square but we never did check the tires .We are making some changes to add another 500 lbs to it if needed, adding a wind screen ,and some smaller front tires to help it sit a little lower and a little less drag
Mark Wilcox,

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 08:58:44 AM »
Its a 68 camaro convertable, it is one of my brothers customers cars undergoing a complete resto.I  was wrong that is the 65 mustang convertable also a customers car.
On the other side.....looks like a body shell on the floor. (???) :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 10:31:48 AM »
When you spun was it to the right or left? Lost of unbalacned aero load on the left side of the car. You need to put a fairing around the blower.

Very nice built!!!! Great engineering and workmanship!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 03:45:17 PM »
On the other side.....looks like a body shell on the floor. (???) :cheers:
On the left is a 65 mustang convertable shell and on the right is a 65 mustang coupe shell . in the later pictures the coupe is the primered car with the blue cowl hood.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 03:48:03 PM by wilcox garage »
Mark Wilcox,

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 04:12:31 PM »
When you spun was it to the right or left? Lost of unbalacned aero load on the left side of the car. You need to put a fairing around the blower.

Very nice built!!!! Great engineering and workmanship!!!

Rex
Thanks Rex,I cant remember if it spun to the left or right. It happened so fast i am just glad I got the chute out after the second time around. Going back through the racepak it only took 1.5 seconds to go around twice.I was on a good run it was the first time i had a chance at hitting 175 in the quarter in 3rd gear (of a four speed ) ,it fishtailed a bit and next thing i new i was backwards through the markers.Another thing we were fighting was no clutch , when i set up the throughout bearing I forgot to take into consideration the .125" for the mid plate. The first time i drove the car under its own power was getting pushed off for my first run so i had no idea i had no clutch until i tried to shift into second gear.So i was driving it clutchless all week, because it is a lot of work to adjust the bearing.                                                                                                                                                                  So we plan on building a fairing around the supercharger and incorporating a forward facing scoop, we had to clean the carb out a couple of times it, just like everything else had salt in it . Hopefully the fairing will also help keep it a little more stable.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 04:19:41 PM by wilcox garage »
Mark Wilcox,

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 09:29:48 AM »
Check with the Supercharger Store---they have a Pro charger front mount with quick change gears---if you continue to have spin issues ---look into SCRUB Radius...  looks like you have a good bit of postive--ZERO is better.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 01:35:37 AM »
Check with the Supercharger Store---they have a Pro charger front mount with quick change gears---if you continue to have spin issues ---look into SCRUB Radius...  looks like you have a good bit of postive--ZERO is better.
I have dealt with the supercharger store, I bought my pulleys and water injection from them . I looked into there gear drive unit, very nice piece but in the street roadster class, it would be a tough fit on my car due to the limit on the hood length, engine set back and retention of the radiator core. On the scrub radius I am going to need some help, all of my front end is off the shelf parts. Stock reproduction spindles with Willwood hubs and 4" steel wheels with 2" back spacing. When I set this car up I never even heard of scrub radius,other than wheels with more backspacing is there anyone making parts to decrease scrub radius for a Ford straight axle.                                                                                                                                thanks mark
Mark Wilcox,