Author Topic: D/BSTR under construction  (Read 56607 times)

Offline wilcox garage

Re: D/BSTR under construction
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2009, 02:06:45 AM »
100_1756.jpg[/IMG] Here are a few pics of the new floors going in the street roadster. It has been a busy winter putting up a new shop ( so i wont have to work on this stuff at my brothers any more) and keeping up with a 1 year old daughter. I have been hard at work on the car last couple of months getting ready for speed week . I have a new set of front wheels with 3 1/4" backspacing, got some m&h 22 x 3.5 front tires and the new front hubs are being machined now to add another 3/4" gain on the scrub radius. These pictures are about the only ones I have taken sense the car came apart after 07 . Some of the changes are being able to take the body off in pieces( mostly with dzus fasteners that are hidden on the inside) , rather than the one piece body . Ree engineering the floor so each floor piece will be a separate piece that will be bolted in in between the floor bracing but still be above the frame rails. The chassis was sand blasted before i started working on it and hopefully it will be blasted again in two weeks . Then paint and assembly will start. Hopefully I will have time to document the changes a little more.
Mark Wilcox,
142 D/BSTR  record qualifier 2011 219.935
182 D/BGMMP record holder 2019 215.798

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2009, 02:13:01 AM »
     here are a couple more of the floor.
Mark Wilcox,

Offline John (Maryland)

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2009, 06:08:47 AM »
Wilcox. That's a beautiful car.  John.

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 01:01:12 AM »
Found a couple more pics of the floor. This week got my push bar ,parachute mount ( switched over to a air launcher) ,fuel tank, fire bottles,and rear fire wall all mounted up. This week hopefully finish the trunk floor and transmission tunnel so it can be sent off to paint the chassis.
Mark Wilcox,

Offline Bville701

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 08:48:06 PM »
Looks good Wilcox. Keep up the good work and great photos.    :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 10:46:32 PM »
Nice looking fabrication.

ENUMCLAW

is one of those great Washington state place names, along with Puyallup, Cleellum (SP?), Roy, and Yelm.

The last two, I believe, were in the range of the impact area of Ft Lewis' artillery range.

Keep up the good work.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2009, 12:02:10 AM »
Since your e-mail address is hidden all ask this here. Is the tab I see on the crossbar on the driverside about 6" behind the shifter for the crotchstrap? If it is, you may want to add an angle brace tube up from the lower larger tube next to the u-joint and one from the opposite side from the lower frame rail.

On a roll over (God forbid) I would hate to see the bars where the seat/belt is mounted have a chance to bend and push the driver up into the top of the cage. All of it looks good. If I were building a Street roadster I would make the main cage/bars like you have done.

From your first post of pictures there is one other bar you may need to consider. It will go from the from edge of the main forward hoop on the left side out and down to the top side bar. This is to protect your left hand from leaving the confines of the cage when the body leaves the car. To see what I mean, sit in the car with your hands on the wheel and the limb restraint on. It appears that you hand/finger can easily go over the top side rail because it appears low in the photos. Many of us have had to add a bar there to keep our left hand inside the plane of the cage. Remember the body can not used to keep you in the car. Some inspectors miss that. Looks great. Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline tbcworks

• New folks
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2009, 07:47:49 AM »
Cool little build, thanks for sharing.

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2009, 10:06:05 AM »
Thanks for all the positive comments. Jimmy Six thanks for the ideas about the bracing , i added some . I will have my seats and belts added next week so I will check and make sure my hands dont go outside the cage. I remember the tech guy checking my legs but I dont remember my hands. The body does sit about 1 1/2" inches above the cage in that area ,so it will be close. This week we finished the panels in the passenger area and mounted batteries. I forgot my camera when I went to work on the car so next week I will post a couple more pics of progress , it sucks not being able to work on it at home yet but I am fortunate to have the tools and shop space at my brothers to get it done.
Mark Wilcox,

Offline John (Maryland)

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2009, 11:38:11 AM »
Thanks for sharing the photos.

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2009, 02:58:03 AM »
Well its been a busy month with speedweek past i finally have some time to post a few pictures of the thrash.I finally got the chassis to the blaster on July 13th .Stripmasters of Buckley Wa. donated the blasting and painting of the chassis and PPG donated the paint for the chassis . By July 20 I had the chassis back with the passenger floor and the engine and trans in. The engine only had to come back out once to get the clutch adjusted right but I was just happy to have the clutch release.    By July 26 we had it wired and running. My brother was building the trunk floor in his spare time between working on customers cars and family.    It finally rolls on a new set of hubs my Uncle machined and I installed a new set of front wheels with some 22" M&H tires. Tuesday before speedweek had more friends come over to help plumb fire bottles mount batteries and paint a bunch of small parts. One of my friends who had been thrashing on his fairlane had some bad luck with his engine so he showed up on wed to help.     By Friday we had the body all mounted so finally it was time to align it . With it aligned we loaded it in the trailer with just some roll bar padding and ballast to add.   Drove all night to make it there to finish the car and go through tech on Saturday. We made two runs sunday through the three mile  to a 198.69 run . On both runs the distributor came loose and retarded the timing . After the second time, we realized a faulty clamp that I modified to clear a water outlet hose was the culprit. I missed salt talks on sunday ( i was running to salt lake to pick up my wife)          Our first run on Monday it went 194 through the three mile and melted a piston. I was a little disappointed but my car picked up 18 MPH over the last time it was out with just a few changes to the scrub radius, having a working clutch and adding 3 lbs of boost.      Our group had four cars racing,next year we will have five with the fairlane . Now with speedweek over its time to get to work on cleaning and finding another 20 mph my class record was bumped from 208 to 217 .
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 03:18:22 AM by wilcox garage »
Mark Wilcox,

Offline slepe67

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2009, 02:13:28 PM »
simply amazing!  I thought I was looking at a baja prerunner when I first saw the pic of your rear suspension!  THAT is COOL!
1932 FORD 5 WINDOW COUPE, ORIGNAL
302 SBF, 4 Speed Top Loader

MONTANA BORN & RAISED, STATIONED IN FL

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2009, 12:47:11 AM »
Montana---i think you may have your sequence wrong ----most of us were products of the breeding before we experienced the born  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2010, 01:28:15 AM »
Been working on the car quite a bit lately, got some new paint and quite a few changes to the engine. Last year we broke a piston so bad the block had to be boared 20 over so we changed rods , pistons and cam. With these changes an the addition of a big air to water intercooler , hoping to pick up some reliability and power.
Mark Wilcox,

Offline basher13

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2010, 08:55:17 PM »
Cars lookin real good Mark, love to check it out sometime. (yes I'm inviting myself) Used to live in the claw, off of 424th. I'll make sure to catch up with you guys at SW this year. How many cars can you stuff in that moving trailer?
Later :cheers:
Dan
118.780mph in a stock(ish) Studebaker