Author Topic: Anything going on for ECTA  (Read 32101 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Anything going on for ECTA
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2009, 12:21:03 AM »
RChop, what is the name of the B-24, show us the nose art... out little car has our personalization of the Bockscar nose art, we love history
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2009, 07:15:10 AM »
     It's on Randy's nice website along with a lot of other neat and interesting stuff.

Ed

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2009, 09:25:40 AM »
RChop, what is the name of the B-24, show us the nose art... out little car has our personalization of the Bockscar nose art, we love history

The name of the plane was "Marty the Rubblemaker". Plane number was 594. I tried to get 594 for this project, but it's taken. Went with 5941 instead. I haven't been able to find the nose art yet...still searching. I learned a lot about my grandfather while searching the internet for info about this project. I was able to show my mom pictures she had never seen and read the story of his training and trip with the squadron to Italy. Found a first person report of his plane going down and the Missing Aircrew Report of the incident. All, incredible stuff!!
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2009, 06:26:45 PM »
I cant wait to see and hear that myself. I dream of building something like that.

No need to dream...just do it! You will find all the help you need here.
Thanks to everyone here I am living a dream . Racing last year was a high point in my life. I am just getting  started . And never want to wake up. :-D
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2009, 12:14:16 AM »
I have a new build for Maxton this year. I am in the middle of building a motorcycle powered streamliner to run in the I/GS class. The car is a complete roller at this point with only wiring and plumbing to complete the chassis. I have just started the body so I have a lot of work to get it ready for the first meet at Maxton. The body is going to be one piece fiberglass. Very small car, only 24 inches wide and 26 inches tall. The nose of the car starts at a point and goes to only 12 inches wide.  I have built smaller fiberglass parts before but nothing that is 20 ft. long like the liner will be. I am using a 2006 ZX10 engine thats going to be pretty much stock to start with. I want to work out all the bug's in the chassis before i get into making real HP. I don't have a lot of motorcycle engine back ground so I hope I can get with some you Kawasaki guys and learn somethings about making power in these small engines. My future plans with the engine is to go with a tubo on fuel and make some big HP. If everything goes well, hope to see everyone at Maxton in April.

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2009, 08:22:49 AM »
Wow, Cant wait to see that one also. Do you have any photos?
If the body is not ready .Can you run the chassis without it? Just to shake out the suspention stuff?

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2009, 12:04:52 PM »
Racer X,  I do have some photos of the build but have never posted any. Not sure I know how. I will have to check into that. Running the car down the track with out the body would be great just to check the handling, but I'm not sure they will allow that. I will have to talk to Joe or Keith about that. Hopefully I will get the body done ontime. If not I plan on bringing the car down in April just to have tech look it over. That way when I do bring the car  for the next meet I will be ready to run with no surprises.

Jerry

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2009, 12:50:13 PM »
Definitely a good idea to have them look at it. Maybe send them some photos before April. How bazaar would a naked streamliner be? :-P

Offline sabat

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2009, 04:44:05 PM »
Hey JerryO, good luck with the project, sounds cool. I run a 2006 ZX10 at Maxton, if I can help you let me know. -Dean

Offline dr j

• Honda CRF250 & RS125 & 1954 Moto Parilla 175
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2009, 05:34:09 PM »
Happy New Year everyone!
What a great group of people.  I'm the guy with the little red with white stripes Honda roadracer with the 250 4stroke motocross engine jammed in.  I had a great time last yr, bumping my APS-F 250-4 record a couple times.  I am trying to fabricate a new seat-tail rear fairing to decrease the Cd and gain some speed.  I am also maybe going to have a gauge for something as I hear some people do that ;-)  Motocross engines don't have any.  Too busy watching the other guys bounce off you.  But with only a 250cc Eric (Racer X) and I have more time to contemplate stuff as we're ambling down the track compared to some of the rest of you.
In Rchop's pix of the Toy Fairing earlier in this thread it shows that the tail lower edge gets lower as it goes back behind the tire.  I thought the ECTA rule says that it has to be no lower than the upper edge of the rim.  Is that interpreted as the rim at that portion of the fairing rather than the uppermost point of the rim?  I am making my mock up now so it would be nice to know the limits.
Jarl
Sharpsburg MD
Jarl- Moto Madcap
Sharpsburg MD
BUB2012- Morini 350- 4 Mod Pushrod records, Parilla 175- M-VG rec
250cc 4stroke Nitrous Motorcycle- 131.8mph
250/4 Naked Motorcycle-115.6mph
APS/F-125/2 115.2mph
P/PV-175/4 Moto Parilla-59.7mph
29 Retired Maxton Class Records on 3 bikes and 4 engines

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2009, 07:24:09 PM »
Hey Dean, I would love to get with you sometime and get info on the ZX10 engine. If you want you can contact me at joxford@charter.net.  I am in the process of getting the wiring sorted out. I am trying to use the stock factory wiring harness and just remove or modify the wiring as need. I just Hope I don't let all the smoke out.   Thanks... Jerry

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2009, 08:24:01 PM »
In Rchop's pix of the Toy Fairing earlier in this thread it shows that the tail lower edge gets lower as it goes back behind the tire.  I thought the ECTA rule says that it has to be no lower than the upper edge of the rim.  Is that interpreted as the rim at that portion of the fairing rather than the uppermost point of the rim?  I am making my mock up now so it would be nice to know the limits.
Jarl
Sharpsburg MD

Here is the 2009 modification to the rule you are asking about:

5. Modify paragraph.
7.G.11 Partial Streamlining:
If a streamlined seat / tail section is used, it can not extend further to the rear than 10" beyond the rear edge of the
rear tire, or 1/3rd of the wheelbase and whichever is less. No part of the seat / tail section may be closer than 4" from
the ground, or over 40" from the ground with the rider seated.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

No mention is made about how much of the rear wheel should be seen. If I'm reading this right, the rear tire can now be covered down to 4" from the ground. Which would make something like this legal now...

« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 08:33:07 PM by Rchop »
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline 2fast4u2c

• http://www.TigerRacingProducts.com
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2009, 02:35:31 PM »
Doesn't the tire have to be 180 degrees uncovered and from the picture it looks like it is.

Guy
300mph or Bust in 1 mile!!!

Tiger Racing

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2009, 02:44:31 PM »
Doesn't the tire have to be 180 degrees uncovered and from the picture it looks like it is.

Guy

The previous rule was 180 on a verticle line for the rear. Replace the wording in the first paragraph of 7.G.11 with what is written in the new modification and the part about the verticle line and wheel coverage is left out. With the new rule, as I read it, the rear wheel can be covered down to 4" from the ground. Even more than what is in the picture above!
If the first part of that paragraph is left in before the start of the sentence "If a streamlined seat / tail section is used," then the 180 verticle rear wheel view is still required. If that's the case, why the 4" from the ground rule?

I guess we will see when the rule books come out.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 03:01:00 PM by Rchop »
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2009, 07:26:31 PM »
I know this isn't a rule question thread or in a rule question topic, but it is ECTA related so I thought i'd throw a thought in before it gets either out of hand or buried down deep, (not sure the latter would be so bad for now though).

Here is the 2009 modification to the rule you are asking about:
Randy, you are referencing a "modification to a rule", not a "replacement for an entire rule", and you are doing so with an SCTA reference in an ECTA zone.

5. Modify paragraph.
7.G.11 Partial Streamlining:
If a streamlined seat / tail section is used, it can not extend further to the rear than 10" beyond the rear edge of the
rear tire, or 1/3rd of the wheelbase and whichever is less. No part of the seat / tail section may be closer than 4" from
the ground, or over 40" from the ground with the rider seated.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
No mention is made about how much of the rear wheel should be seen. If I'm reading this right, the rear tire can now be covered down to 4" from the ground. Which would make something like this legal now...
Not included is the rule in it's entirety, and even the part discussed has no reference to the rear wheel... only to the fact that the tail section components cannot go that close to the ground. And again, let's not forget that (until stated differently), that this is an SCTA reference to a rule change to an SCTA rule.

Doesn't the tire have to be 180 degrees uncovered
Yes it does(currently so at both venues).

The previous rule was 180 on a verticle line for the rear. Replace the wording in the first paragraph of 7.G.11 with what is written in the new modification and the part about the verticle line and wheel coverage is left out. With the new rule, as I read it, the rear wheel can be covered down to 4" from the ground. Even more than what is in the picture above!
If the first part of that paragraph is left in before the start of the sentence "If a streamlined seat / tail section is used," then the 180 verticle rear wheel view is still required. If that's the case, why the 4" from the ground rule?
The latter portion of your interpretation will prove to be correct in my opinion. And although I'm not sure "why" the 4" rule has came to be, I am fairly confident that it will prove to make the owner's of large coverage one piece (read as: Charlie Toy style) bodies on bikes that are slammed to the ground... a little more then perturbed.

I guess we will see when the rule books come out.
That has proven to be the wisest of moves, that and sharing your written and vocal opinion to the powers that be through out the racing season of course.

Todd (that believes any rule changes not related to safety or simply clarifying existing rules, can do no more then give the next years entrants running in that class an unfair advantage or disadvantage).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 07:29:12 PM by narider »