Author Topic: Anything going on for ECTA  (Read 32179 times)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Anything going on for ECTA
« on: December 18, 2008, 12:32:51 AM »
Racers besides garage build ups?

Any new vehicles, racers profiles,
Personal 09 top speed or record goals?
Sponsors?
New builds?
Dyno testing since the last meet?

My 09 goals are to stop taking street bikes and adding turbo systems to build an actual real aftermarket chassis and build a real dedicated land speed racer (I think this every year  :wink:)  This bike would have a boost controller, and data logging for a change rather than just dial in 500+ hp and see what happens.

Lots of great racers this year with Jason, Bill, Wayne, Tom, Ben, Leslie, Trillium, Richard Assen etc.. :cheers:

I want to go faster than 265mph on a bike and faster than 300 in a vehicle..(2 or 4 wheels..) :-D and perhaps win another SCTA points championship with the car and a bike.

What are your 09 dreams and goals..they can be the same..

Thanks to Jon and Nancy for taking over the site that Little "A" busted his ass on as well.. :cheers:

John

PS. good luck to all and thanks to all of the volunteers!

J

Offline sabat

Re: Anything going on for ECTA
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 11:29:27 AM »
I am drawing up an icewater reservoir for the ZX10. I want to go 220 this year without a fairing, and maybe shoot for the fastest standing-mile 1000.  -Dean

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 11:36:16 AM »
Dean,

Sounds like a great plan...whats the fastest standing 1K record..230 at Texas?

Where are you going to install the tank?  lengthen the bike and put in in front of the rear wheel?

J

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 11:38:34 AM »
I want to be added to the JN list of great racers.  :roll:
Can you only be a great racer if you pass a certain speed?
I thought great racers came in all CC sizes and speeds.  :-D

Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 12:04:01 PM »
I want to be added to the JN list of great racers.  :roll:
Can you only be a great racer if you pass a certain speed?
I thought great racers came in all CC sizes and speeds.  :-D

Deb,

Great racers do come in all sizes, and speeds......and to answer your question I did understand one of my favorite LSR racers has never competed at a speed greater than about 135mph or so and has set numerous records while racing.

You are funny however..#53

Offline sabat

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 12:19:18 PM »
Dean,

Sounds like a great plan...whats the fastest standing 1K record..230 at Texas?

Where are you going to install the tank?  lengthen the bike and put in in front of the rear wheel?

J

You're both on my list of top riders :)

John I hope to put a square tank in front of the steering head, and route lines though the ram air ducts in the frame. Should be clean, and it will place the tank higher than the core in the plenum.

And yup, Carl Francis has the fastest 1 mile 1000; 230 at Texas, Bob Shammas has been 221 at Maxton on a 998cc ZX11. Both of those bikes had fairings of course.

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 12:28:15 PM »
Dean,

Thanks for the compliment.. :wink: and what you are doing with your bike is as note worthy as any of my accomplishments as well.

Make sure if you plan on running any SCTA events and run the water tank on your bike up front in a naked/unfaired class that the bike will fit the rules as I was told at the last SCTA event that their may be some changes..maybe Kent, Van, Scott can assist us with what's legal this coming season...

John

Offline sabat

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 12:40:40 PM »
Thanks John. You're full of it, but thanks :) I'm judging that a rectangular tank (vertical leading plane) would not be considered streamlining, sort of like Bill's battery box. I considered putting the tank ahead of the rear tire, but there is very little room around the tbodies for lines to and from the plenum, and the lower relative height would make it a PITA to fill and refill at the track.

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 12:44:09 PM »
Dean,
Absolutely pay attention to the SCTA rule changes in regards to unfaired and placing the tank up front. I haven't heard yet if the ECTA is adopting the changes in full but that is now our new direction with the rules realignment of last year. They've been discussing it so we should know soon enough.
Once that decision is made we also (as techs) will need to understand the intentions of some of the verbage. I know there's a few questions in my mind and I'm not sure how far they intend to take the letter of the rule especially on the altered unfaired class.
Debbie

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 12:46:05 PM »
JN, When I read the rule changes I got the impression that Bill's battery up front wouldn't be legal in the altered/special construction unfaired class. (You run modified tho don't you Dean?) What's your impression? I have to go back & reread to see if I'm remembering correctly.

Debbie

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 01:18:29 PM »
I just sold my BMW racer to a musem in Maryland. I'm building a new one for the same class: 750cc pushrod with a ground up built altered frame and Charlie Toy fairings. This bike will be much more streamlined than the BMW with the Jugs sticking out the sides. The new engine is based on a Buell XB9 with a 3.125 stroke and a 3.050 bore (748cc) with fuel injection and eventually a turbo. I hope to be in Maxton in April.

Goals...faster than the last one :-D

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 01:22:04 PM by Rchop »
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 01:35:12 PM »
in my opinion why would you mount a battery, intercooler, or a flat plate up high in front of the rider.?....obviously to great a bluft shape as to simulate a fairing.... if it has webbed feet, quacks, and poops through feathers.... it is a aero devise... sorry try again.!...
Kent

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 01:51:04 PM »
Kent the simple answer is that there is unused area for mounting up front however I agree that it is a method of streamlining and should not be allowed, however if a racer was to lengthen his or her bike and build the plenum so that the water lines could come in from the bottom or sides then they could add weight to the back of the bike to assist in gaining the same weight bias as they had prior.

J

Offline sabat

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 01:58:49 PM »
I really didn't intend for the tank to be a 'covert' aero device - I just need a good place to put it.

I'm an aero idiot - I thought it would actually be worse to put a vertical flat box in front of the steering head, than the canted fork tubes???

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 02:08:31 PM »
Dean,

Covert or not anything up front that does not need to be in place or that could buffet air/wind away from the riders face or body can be construed as an aerodynamic advantage, your bike in the picture above is what a naked bike "should" look like with regards to no frontal streamlining.

Btw, bring that bike to El Mirage with bodywork after all if Jim Higgins can run 206+ in the dirt with a 750 you should be able to go faster and get another one of those fancy head cover things to add to your growing collection.. :-D