Author Topic: CGALT rules question  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Gary Perkinson

CGALT rules question
« on: October 14, 2004, 10:11:00 PM »
Hey, everyone:

I'm planning to run my '80 Pinto in C/CGALT. According to the rulebook, one of the following modifications must be made to run in the class:

1. The addition of a step pan;
 2. The engine set back a maximum of 25% of the wheelbase;
 3. A front-wheel-drive vehicle converted to rear-wheel drive; or
 4. Covered headlights and grille as described in paragraph 4.

Okay, so say I want to do the last modification. According to paragraph 4, "Bumpers, grilles and front lights may be removed and the opening created may be filled or covered. The filled or covered area may be flush with the adjacent body; the basic shape and contour of the vehicle cannot be changed. Engine intake air may be ducted from these openings."

I guess I'm just confused about the use of the word "covered" in the fourth required modification. If I remove the front bumper, grille and headlights, do I have to cover the openings, and if so, how can I then use these covered openings as air ducts? (Obviously, I want air for the radiator, and I may want to duct air from the headlight openings back toward the air cleaner.)

I may just be making this way more complicated than I need to. I guess my basic question is, if I remove the front bumper, grille and headlights, is that enough modification to get me into CGALT?   :eek:  

Thanks--

Gary
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

John Beckett

Re: CGALT rules question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 01:03:00 PM »
Gary

Yes you must complete one of the four modifications to be in the /CALT category. Simply cover the headlight openings with flat panels (if you don?t want o do anything else) or cover all the openings in the front (would be much better aero wise). And that?s what its all about, making the car more aerodynamic than a /CGC or a /CPRO. Go to all the associations web sites or Landracing.com and look at some of the pictures to help get the idea. Keith?s #462 Camaro is a good example.

Wouldn?t necessarily take the front bumper off, but would add an air dam straight down from the bumper to keep air out from under the car.

You can add an opening for the radiator if you want, but get creative cause the smaller the better. You can also add a 3 or 4? tube through the front paneling for intake air but again that depends on what best suits your engine and body configuration.

John  :cool: