Author Topic: Anyone have any thought or opinions on the BMW X3 or similar?  (Read 5072 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Anyone have any thought or opinions on the BMW X3 or similar?
« on: December 16, 2008, 05:12:32 PM »
My wife is looking to get a new vehicle.
She wants something around 05+ and no more than 40K miles.
She wants to spend 20-25K.
Looking for something with the "smaller SUV" look and doesn’t like big vehicles.

I have found a few X3's that fit this bill but have never seen, heard or know anything about them other than my limited experience with the 3 and 5 series sedans (all good for the most part). I would like her to get a vehicle that is a bit more comfortable than her 97 Jetta.

She was also looking at the Acura MDX as well.

I would like to hear any opinions on the before mentioned vehicles or thoughts and suggestions of similar vehicles that would fit this criteria.

Thanks

-JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Anyone have any thought or opinions on the BMW X3 or similar?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 05:17:39 PM »
She would look better in a Z3 (2002 and earlier) or Z4, they are nice little roadsters...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 05:25:58 PM »
hard to go past low mileage 5 series sedans...some of the best cars and ( dunno about there but definitely here) best VFM  there is. Skip the SUV costs, tyres,4wd ,etc and get great handling ,economy, room and safety.......

2 cents please. :-D :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 06:25:35 PM »
She would look better in a Z3 (2002 and earlier) or Z4, they are nice little roadsters

hard to go past low mileage 5 series sedans...some of the best cars and ( dunno about there but definitely here) best VFM  there is. Skip the SUV costs, tyres,4wd ,etc and get great handling ,economy, room and safety.......

2 cents please.

We are thinking of having a kid in the next year or so a Z3-4 would not really do it.
We also need room in the back for the dog of dogs and need some ground clearance.

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 12:13:25 PM »
I read Automobile magazine and they have long-term tests.  Seems like some of their long-term Beemers have major problems with engines and/or trannies.  Flat cams, main bearings, not switches gone bad.  And now the factory maintains them for xx years as part of the new purchase.  Is there a problem here?  Great driving cars I guess, but if I were to own one I'd sure go for the extended warranty or Certified or whatever.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 12:15:46 PM »
And on another note -- anyone ever notice that the taillights don't match up on some of the BMW sport utes?  Looks like someone went to the junk yard and bought an Olds Ciera tailgate for their Buick Century.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 12:16:44 PM »
hey hotnuts won't  a beemer and a new kid get in the way of the racing budget. :-o
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 12:36:56 PM »
hey hotnuts won't  a beemer and a new kid get in the way of the racing budget. :-o

must be planning on getting the hat real soon...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

LittleLiner

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 01:38:20 PM »
. . . how does that old joke go? . . .

"A friend said he was getting a newer car for his wife.  I told him it sounded like a great trade."

If you really want a BMW I suggest you price out what it will take for dealer service.  I know some B'mer mechanics that make pretty good money.  Someone has to be paying for that high priced labor . . . . I think that the certified used BMWs come with good warrentees but you pay a premium to get one.  The old 'Pay me now or pay me later' deal.

Consider the CRV Honda.  A few friends have them and love them. 

The Acrura is probably out of that price range and I don't think they came out until around 06 or early 07.

When buying for the misses and the future kid, I suggest you let safety trump all other considerations.  But you already knew that, so . . . .

My wife has an 06 Saab Combi 9-3 with 2.0 turbo four and 5 speed.  It ain't an ultra rocket ship but is pretty fast, real safe, hauls a good bit of stuff.  She drove it off the lot as an 06 leftover for $24k and change - new.

Good luck with the hunt.  And please don't get anything painted green. :-D

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 05:15:15 PM »
Posted by: Glen 
Insert Quote
hey hotnuts won't  a beemer and a new kid get in the way of the racing budget. 

My wife just got a promotion at Grainger.....lets just say she now gets paid "monthly"  :wink: and she is the one buying it (we have separate finances due to the fact that I own a business).

A kid however will end up costing $$$.....but I am sure I will have some major corporate backing any day now.

Thanks for the advice on the cars……food for thought.

*Andres Segovia

Offline joea

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 06:33:32 PM »
.....its simple.....if momma is not happy.....there is no racing budget....

does she really need to spend that much......??

you could find her a really nice vehicle for half of that..........

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 07:03:31 PM »
Our time with an X-5 has been very good. Bought 02 used dealer demo 20k mi. have 70k mi on it, great car overall. Maybe the best one we've had ever. It snows where we live and it's very winter friendly. Lots'a air bag thingys. Fantastic brakes. Great road feel, some say harsh, not us.The 3ltr 6cyl is a bit faster and cheaper to run than our Merc. Mountaineer with the 5ltr we replaced. The platinum warranty has been good, interior trim cracked, odometer quit, they fixed it and that's about it. Has an odd habit of burning up front turn signal bulbs, about one a year. Had a flat tire once...................etc.
 We drove a bunch of cars before the BMW we liked it best, the dealer was ready to deal at the end of a slow sales month, hint, hint :wink:
 When shopping for a car it's all about "the deal" once you narrow down the choices. Good Luck :-D

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 08:22:16 PM »
your gonna have to drive many of them to really get a feel for yourself.  BMW's are fine cars, but the maintenence is expensive.  We bought an Acura MDX 03, has all the bells and whistles, DVD and Nav. is free, we are very happy with it. :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 08:24:29 PM »
Had a friend with the Bimmer - 50,000  miles and it never gave him a lick of trouble.

I gotta tell you, though - if you don't HAVE to have the AWD, for about the same money, you could get a brand new HHR SS.  And this is coming from a guy who HATES Chevy's, but I'm seriously thinking about the panel version for myself. 

Sits lower, fuel economy is about the same, and wouldn't it look really cool dropped about 2 inches with flames and Moon discs?

260 horses don't hurt, either.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: