Author Topic: rear end power loss info  (Read 8810 times)

SALTRACER

rear end power loss info
« on: December 13, 2008, 12:23:45 PM »
I am looking for a list of horsepower loss seen from various rearend types. (9" QC 12 bolt and so forth.)If I remember correct It was real results seen on a dyno.  I thought it may have been on this site. I have done a search on this site and other boards, but I am unable to find the sheet that I remember. If anyone has this list could they post it or pm it to me.  thanks Randy

Offline Ron Gibson

Re: rear end power loss info
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 11:16:27 PM »
Randy
I remember that post and couldn't find it either (oldtimers disease). IIRC a 12 bolt was best due to pinion angle, followed by a 9" that used 4 HP more than the 12 bolt. Then the quick change used 10 HP more than the 12 bolt. Only the three rears were tested. YMMV

Ron Gibson, Omaha NE
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

dwarner

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 11:37:06 PM »
Sparky was the one with the research IIRC. May have been John Beckett.

DW

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 12:24:18 AM »
Put in a 57-64 Pontiac..........Best #'s for a stong piece with the right pinion angle...
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline desotoman

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 01:00:31 PM »
As I recall "maguromic" screen name posted some accurate figures on rearends. I just tried to look up what he said, but for some reason was denied access to his past posts. Hope this helps.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 01:36:21 PM »
Had a similar post last January - a few numbers, but some decent general thoughts on the topic.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3424.0.html

Sparky's input - "Rule of thumb---the closer the pinion shaft is to the center line of the ring gear -- the less drag it will have".

That made sense to me, less side loading, less of a helical cut, less parasitic loss.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

SALTRACER

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 01:47:38 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies.  I have dug through the archives on the email list and found #s similar to what Ron posted.  Thanks for looking guys, but if anyone finds the spreadsheet in question please post it. thanks Randy

saltfever

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 04:30:14 AM »
As I recall "maguromic" screen name posted some accurate figures on rearends. I just tried to look up what he said, but for some reason was denied access to his past posts. Hope this helps.

It looks like Jon has implemented some kind of privacy filtering. You can't look up anyone's profile anymore or see all of their past postings. As you have indicated that was a very useful feature. I hope the Ratliff fiasco was not the reason for the loss in functionality. Looking up someone's postings was as good as having an archive feature. It was a fast way to get information.  :-(

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 07:16:21 AM »
Guys remember---its precentage--loss gose up with power---greatest ratio selection is GM 7.5" fords new 8.8 is basacially the old GM 10-12---Rear axel selection the gift that keeps on giving---Merry Christmas :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

saltfever

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 11:51:36 PM »
Guys remember---its precentage--loss gose up with power---greatest ratio selection is GM 7.5" (snip . . . )
True, if you are talking about "stock" gear ratios (i.e. OEM gears).  However, the 9" Ford has so many "special" aftermarket ratios it surely has the widest selection of any.  From NASCAR to circle track, Ford 9" ratios go from stock 2.47 to the 7:xx used in circle track.  The last time I looked at a Richmond gear catalog it has 3x the Ford gears than any other brand. If you watch eBay, weird NASCAR ratios appear frequently. A NASCAR ratio would be a special gear cut just for a certain track and motor combination. The cost of cutting a special ratio is trival to a NASCAR team. Also, most of them show up REM conditioned.

saltfever

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 11:58:43 PM »
I was going to ask this in a new thread but I think it is a better fit here.  If this is "thread jacking or drifting" please let me know. I apologize and will start a new subject.

I see a lot of gears REM conditioned. Does anybody have any data on just how much friction it eliminates? Or any increase in efficiency? Is there a shop on the West coast that does it?

Offline JoshH

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 01:14:02 AM »

saltfever

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 03:17:57 AM »
Thanks, Josh. Good explanation of the REM process.  :-)  However, like all others, it is difficult to nail down the increased efficiency (if any) it brings. They have some good information in their tech papers although they seem to be primarily focused on formula type road racing.

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 07:55:31 AM »
Try this link for REM polishing http://www.remchem.com/

They have a few papers published.  One of the PDF's on their site made a claim of a drop in temp of up to 50 degrees in an automotive application.
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 09:47:33 AM »
Looks like www.mikronite.com is a similar process. All top level pro drag teams use this process to improve the fatigue/fracture life of ring and pinions. I have used it on my straight cut motorcycle transmission gears to decrease friction. Looks cool, the gears have a chrome appearance when returned. Like ceramic bearings I have no idea how much it helps but if one does enough of these things I am sure it has some benefit. All others just turn up the boost.  :-D