Author Topic: Head & Neck Restraint  (Read 5908 times)

Offline Bob Ragsdale

• New folks
Head & Neck Restraint
« on: December 10, 2008, 10:31:15 AM »
Dan W.

Can you answere this question for me?  What do you think the comp. committee would think of the D. Cell device, sold by Speedway and others?  Simpson or Diest also sell a similar device.  They are not SFI certified however when adjusted properly they offer good protection of fore and aft head movement.  They are recommended for Sprint type car use, as you know Sprint cars crash a lot.  I work tech at the local circle track, several sprint drivers use this device with no neg. results.  It has a advantage over other devices not relying on race car shoulder harness as it has its own harness.  I have used one of these since John Beckett crash and feel its a good system.

dwarner

Re: Head & Neck Restraint
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 11:37:41 AM »
Bob,

The rule states that the restraint has to be "engineered and tested TYPE 38.1 spec".  I believe the types you mention would be OK.

Again, I am no longer involved with rules. Send an email to:

rulebookinfo@scta-bni.org

DW

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 11:43:19 AM »
I, too have purchased a D-cel system. I bought it from Simpson, and the person on the phone assured me that it was 38.1 compliant. It works good and is not restrictive to exiting the car. After purchasing the harness from Simpson, I had to send my new helmet back to Simpson for retrofitting the cable attachments to the helmet so that there was a place to hook the restraint hooks. The system is made by Safety Solutions and they were the people involved in developing the 38.1 testing that is used for head and restraint systems. In researching the dealers for Safety Solutions I found one of their dealers shows the D-cel as 38.1 compliant, but can find no other reference to it. An e-mail to Safety Solutions has not been answered, and Simpson said they will get back to me when they hear from Safety Solutions. Simpson says that they have had no contact from SCTA regarding the matter, so I guess we will be in the dark for a while. Hope I don't have to spend another $1000 for a new system that hasn't been proven in multiple crash scenarios that you are likely to be involved in on the Salt. I think the D-cel has proven itself in Sprintcar Racing. Doug :?
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 12:11:02 PM »
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,5122.0.html

The head restraint should function as part of an overall system that includes a seat with effective lateral head support.

dwarner

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 12:17:30 PM »
No s!!

Do you have a rulebook other than 1974? Have you even read a current rulebook or does your way back machine dial stop at 1974?

DW

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 12:21:49 PM »
No s!!

Do you have a rulebook other than 1974? Have you even read a current rulebook or does your way back machine dial stop at 1974?

DW

The guy who crashed the red sports car at Speedweek this year, according to Fred Dannenfelzer, had no lateral head support above the center line of the helmet. As obvious from the design of the state of the art dragster and stock seats, this is not what engineers and scientists regard as effective lateral head support.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 12:48:59 PM »
........Again, I am no longer involved with rules. Send an email to:

rulebookinfo@scta-bni.org

DW

I guess we forget that.  I sent an e-mail..............

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,5098.30.html

Sum

dwarner

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 01:35:48 PM »
Once again you are wrong.

The letter from Keith Copeland, you really should know the players - get a program, which was read at last Friday's board meeting stressed the fact that the R3 device he was wearing saved his life. Check with your source, he was in attendance, you weren't.

This letter is what spurred the modifications to the rules this past weekend.

DW

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 02:06:03 PM »
He also had a real race seat with the side head supports. It did it's job as well.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 02:15:35 PM »

The letter from Keith Copeland, you really should know the players - get a program, which was read at last Friday's board meeting stressed the fact that the R3 device he was wearing saved his life. Check with your source, he was in attendance, you weren't.

DW

If a head restraint system in and of itself was adequate, the dragster and stock seats shown in the other thread would not be designed the way they are. These seats cocoon the head to provide lateral head support because head restraint systems by themselves are inadequate to this task.

427MG

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 02:19:21 PM »

DW

If a head restraint system in and of itself was adequate, the dragster and stock seats shown in the other thread would not be designed the way they are. These seats cocoon the head to provide lateral head support because head restraint systems by themselves are inadequate to this task.

You really, really need to get a rule book and read it before you start posting.

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 04:06:09 PM »

DW

You really, really need to get a rule book and read it before you start posting.

I've REALLY REALLY seen what gets past tech inspection.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,5122.0.html

Nothing REMOTELY resembling what constitutes effective lateral head support was visible in the rollcage of that red sportscar.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 04:09:27 PM by Ratliff »

427MG

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 04:19:35 PM »

DW

That's a very dangerous comment to be making. We all know the rules and regs as they stand now and a simple email to the appropriate people clarifies any potential areas of difficulty with said rules and reg.
You seem to be suggesting in your reply that the inspectors allow sub standard safety equipment to pass tech......as if they would ever compromise our safety.

Anyway, back on topic.   I have recently been emailing Dan Wright to clarify on seat safety and he was very definite on what is an acceptable MINIMUM standard and the seats and restraining systems are certainly up to the standards of all other motorsports, in some cases exceeding them by a country mile.

Bob, is there a link I can look at a D-cell device in as that sounds like exactly the sort of system I want for the MG.

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 06:49:09 PM »

DW

That's a very dangerous comment to be making. We all know the rules and regs as they stand now and a simple email to the appropriate people clarifies any potential areas of difficulty with said rules and reg.
You seem to be suggesting in your reply that the inspectors allow sub standard safety equipment to pass tech......as if they would ever compromise our safety.

Anyway, back on topic.   I have recently been emailing Dan Wright to clarify on seat safety and he was very definite on what is an acceptable MINIMUM standard and the seats and restraining systems are certainly up to the standards of all other motorsports, in some cases exceeding them by a country mile.

Bob, is there a link I can look at a D-cell device in as that sounds like exactly the sort of system I want for the MG.

In the attached photos I can see past the driver's head out the back of the rollcage. In such a wide rollcage, how does THAT count as effective lateral head support?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:50:43 PM by Ratliff »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 07:11:59 PM »
In the bottom picture it looks like he has some sort of padding near his left cheek, if it is then there is probably another one on the opposite side.  Can't tell for sure if it is padding but it could be, also if it is it is too low for sure.  Padding like that should be centerling with the eyes.   :?