Author Topic: What results would you expect?  (Read 14042 times)

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
Re: What results would you expect?
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2008, 10:41:32 AM »
Thanks, do you know how if the 1150 rwhp was done on a long pull similar to running 5 miles or a short pull??  Do you know the frontal area of the car?  Using 21 square feet and that Cd number it looks like it maybe should/could have gone a little faster with that HP, maybe around 320.  Were they at peak HP at the 300-305 speed the way they were geared and if not do you know the HP level at the 300 speed and rpm??

Frontal Area = 21.5 ft^2
I do not know if it was a long or short pull on the HP #'s, but that is the peak HP# Gary gave me from the Dyno.

Yes the car should have gone faster and in the speed report for the car it should have run 307mph in the configuration they had set it up to run.  When you say 320mph what are your underling assumptions; Cd, CL, static weight, %rear, are you assuming there is no tire slip?  There was a 10mph head wind when he ran and brought the speed down.  See sample report below to see the configuration of the Firebird as it ran.  The unoficial run of over 300 gary had the car at his target rpm (gear=307mph) going into the 5 mile when the engine blew.  He pushed in the clutch and coasted thrugh the mile at a 288 ave.

http://a2wt.com/CARS_files/Bonneville%20Report%20Eaker.pdf

Dave
The answers are blowing in the wind...
www.A2WT.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AERODYN-A2-WIND-TUNNEL/259986785465
@A2WindTunnel #A2WindTunnel

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2008, 10:43:20 AM »
And I might have said RWHP but looking at the report it was 1150HP at the crank.
The answers are blowing in the wind...
www.A2WT.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AERODYN-A2-WIND-TUNNEL/259986785465
@A2WindTunnel #A2WindTunnel

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2008, 12:13:49 AM »
I've been following these posts pretty closely.

If I've got all the data, I  am confused why your Reher and Morrison motor make less than 2 Hp/CI unless they build budget-priced motors  (and I honestly don't know ALL the options they have to offer)

A 412 inch TRUE race motor from them should make 2HP/CI no sweat, therefore 800+ Arlington, Texas horsepower.

Maybe some tuning tips from R&M would be in order.

5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2008, 11:55:03 PM »
I've been following these posts pretty closely.

If I've got all the data, I  am confused why your Reher and Morrison motor make less than 2 Hp/CI unless they build budget-priced motors  (and I honestly don't know ALL the options they have to offer)

A 412 inch TRUE race motor from them should make 2HP/CI no sweat, therefore 800+ Arlington, Texas horsepower.

Maybe some tuning tips from R&M would be in order.

412 ci Super series small block.  Thier tune up thier dyno 706 hp = 1.71 hp per ci.  This is more hp than they advertise for this combo. Not sure if this is a TRUE race motor in your book but it was what I felt I could afford and I am happy with it.  They do not list any B motors that make 2 hp per ci and asking what the price is to get one that does comes under the heading of if you have to ask you probably can't afford it. I will ask them if they left a 100 hp on the table when they tuned it. Thanks Vince
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2008, 08:48:07 PM »
Vince, didn't mean to make my post questioning R&M's horsepower as being on the weak side sound like a put down -I still have drag racer's mentality sometimes. Like BED's w/ 900 HP running  for 7 sec. and before the next run, fresh valve springs, etc., using a a ring package costing $1000.00.

In fact that 712 is over 40 HP more than the 412 drag race motors they advertise. Ya can't buy better quality.

Those would probably last 'til your grandkids are ready to Landspeed race, as I expect, will yours.

The close involvement I have with a CSt/R and knowledge of two faster -the ones with Ex-nascar motors, makes me think about 215 for your package in B.

DISCLAIMER -things are real fickle an the salt and lake bed and -I'm merely an INTERESTED BYSTANDER.

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2008, 09:26:13 PM »

IS thanks for the reply back. I just got a little testy. I do think there is more in my combo to be had. I just do not see getting a shot at the record with this combo. Started looking at ways to go faster and get a record that were within my reach (budget). That is where the question on the areo of the firebird compared to the roadster came from. I was just useing the hp and mph numbers I have for the compairison. I went to buy the firebird on the 21st. Checked the car all out on the outside and the underside and things looked good. Then I got in it and found out just how small the inside of a firebird is. I am 6' 5"  230lbs. I have a hard time seeing myself and all the saftey equipment required being able to do a 30 second bailout. Well the firebird idea is on hold for now and am going to work on seeing what more I can get out of the roadster. I hope your right about 215 being possible. We will find out next august. Thanks again Vince
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2009, 01:37:48 PM »

IS thanks for the reply back. I just got a little testy. I do think there is more in my combo to be had. I just do not see getting a shot at the record with this combo. Started looking at ways to go faster and get a record that were within my reach (budget). That is where the question on the areo of the firebird compared to the roadster came from. I was just useing the hp and mph numbers I have for the compairison. I went to buy the firebird on the 21st. Checked the car all out on the outside and the underside and things looked good. Then I got in it and found out just how small the inside of a firebird is. I am 6' 5"  230lbs. I have a hard time seeing myself and all the saftey equipment required being able to do a 30 second bailout. Well the firebird idea is on hold for now and am going to work on seeing what more I can get out of the roadster. I hope your right about 215 being possible. We will find out next august. Thanks again Vince

You might be surprised once all the interior is removed and you've installed a racing seat set back a bit.

A friend of mine races a late model Camaro on the flats, and he's taller than you . . .

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2009, 02:01:30 PM »
Where did you get 30 seconds? I've had many many drivers bail out and I never had a clock on anyone. I look in the opposite door if they have one and observe what they do and how they do it. Lakesters and liners I watch from the front. Open cars I usually catch the steering wheel. No one ever gave me a time limit and I never had one. If a driver was frustrated by being so many a-----es (prying eyes) we went back to his pit. Practice always made perfect. I do it myself before every race in the pits. Don't ever let the bailout make you change vehicles you feel safe in......Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2009, 02:24:05 PM »
Good point, J.D. -- about the time limit.  While I admit that I'm a bike guy and don't know the car rules -- I've been asked about the time limit for "bailout" a bunch of times and don't know that I've ever seen it written in the rulebook, for instance, about how long is allowed.  Is there a specific time -- or is it more of an observed process wherein the inspector watches to feel comfortable that the rider/driver knows where everything is and can get himself out as quickly as possible in that particular vehicle?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2009, 02:36:46 PM »
How long do you want to be on fire  :?  The bailout as JD said should be practiced and be basic muscle memory, the driver should not need to look for anything or fumble around.... From what I have seen inspectors want to know you know how to get out if necessary as fast as possible.
Your results may vary...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2009, 12:26:09 AM »
As yrs truly understands it,  the dash numbers for the firesuits mean -5  five seconds, - 10 ten seconds, -20 twenty seconds -  survival rates W/O damage. 

How long does it take to cook CHICHARONES?

Sweat = water. boiling point 100C/212F. Blisters, etc.

G'Nite.