Author Topic: What results would you expect?  (Read 14052 times)

Offline Roadster943

Re: What results would you expect?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 01:01:35 AM »
  I just noticed that the picture is from 07. This year I got rid of the wide Goodyears on the front and ran the M&H skinnies on the front. I also had a step pan under it this year not that it would be seen in picture just to let it be known. More info = better feedback hopefuly.
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 08:49:37 AM »
 :-D  &  :-D---did SR. memory get me again  :?   :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 08:51:31 AM »
If it helps you out any, Gary Eaker ran 296.150 ave. (official: Oct 89’) and 307 (unofficial) in a 1988 Trans-Am A/FC. 

1150HP (rear wheel)
CD = .240 (modified in GM Wind Tunnel)

I posted these 2 in an earlier section but will post again incase you had not seen them.

Pontiac Winners Circle (Vol.4 NO.12)
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4423.0;attach=6180

Pontiac Winners Circle (Vol.5 NO.9)
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4423.0;attach=6181
The answers are blowing in the wind...
www.A2WT.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AERODYN-A2-WIND-TUNNEL/259986785465
@A2WindTunnel #A2WindTunnel

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 09:03:12 AM »
Before you spend any money on a 9' I would do some research
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 10:22:42 AM »
If it helps you out any, Gary Eaker ran 296.150 ave. (official: Oct 89’) and 307 (unofficial) in a 1988 Trans-Am A/FC. 

1150HP (rear wheel)

I posted these 2 in an earlier section but will post again incase you had not seen them.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4423.0;attach=6180

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4423.0;attach=6181

Great info thanks :cheers:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 12:09:49 PM »
I think you are a little low on 300---1400 I dont think will get it done!!!!!

Ya wana bet?  :-D

Mike was the 1400 at the crank or wheels??  I'll be calling you next week when I get home to talk to you about your site.

c ya,

Sum

dwarner

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2008, 12:25:24 PM »
Your classic highboy style roadster gives away a lot to the current roadster such as Wilson & Waters, Cook Jr. and The Barbe Boys(#277)

DW

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 12:30:27 PM »

1150HP (rear wheel)

Thanks, do you know how if the 1150 rwhp was done on a long pull similar to running 5 miles or a short pull??  Do you know the frontal area of the car?  Using 21 square feet and that Cd number it looks like it maybe should/could have gone a little faster with that HP, maybe around 320.  Were they at peak HP at the 300-305 speed the way they were geared and if not do you know the HP level at the 300 speed and rpm??

c ya,

Sum

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 12:31:29 PM »
I think you are a little low on 300---1400 I dont think will get it done!!!!!

Ya wana bet?  :-D

Mike was the 1400 at the crank or wheels??  I'll be calling you next week when I get home to talk to you about your site.

c ya,

Sum

Sparky, when we went 295 mph I said it took another 150 hp for us to go 300.  :-o

1407 @ the crank Sum.  :-)

And DW is right on in post #23, you really need to look at those cars.......   :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 12:33:02 PM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2008, 12:35:29 PM »

1150HP (rear wheel)

I think you better double check w/Gary. I'm pretty sure Ligenfelter ran those # on his engine dyno.  :-)
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2008, 01:01:36 PM »

More good info thanks everyone. I had very little exposure to LSR when I started building my roadster. I just wanted to have something cool to make passes at BV. I had no idea if I could be fast or successful so I  tried to build it to look good. After I got the kinks worked out and had some 200 mph passes on it and it was driving great I start looking at records. :roll: This probably will not be the last mistake I make, it sure wasn't the first.
 Now I have a real burning desire for that Red Hat. The Firebird seemed like it might be a practical way to get there, and having a second car I am hoping I can get some friends more involved. Let them use the firebird with their own engine or something and I will go back to my roadster. I would like to see what I could do in XO/BGR and XO/BFR. I have a couple GMCs avalible and would like to try this.
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 02:58:47 PM »
I agree with Dan. If you look at the #66 of BMR you will see you have given away a lot by building the roadster the way you chose. In the SW program check out #302 and see if you feel your on the same plane with them. Maybe Bill will put in a V8 some day................Good Luck.JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 03:45:28 PM »
..............  I am also thinking of running a 9 inch in the bird as opposed to the quick change in the roadster if I think I can get the gear ratio were I want it.................

If it was me and you wanted to try and run in the 240-250 range I would get rid of the quick change unless you had one with a real high (low number) ring and pinion.

Let's say you had a circle track quick change that had a 4.11 ring and pinion.  Right now at 206 mph the pinion is spinning at 10,169 rpm if you have 28 inch tires if I did my math right.  Now take it to 240 and that pinon will be spinning at almost 12,000 rpm (11,848 rpm).  If you ran a 2.47 Ford the pinion would be turning about 7100 rpm and so would your motor which seems to be a good rpm based on what you said you were turning in your post.

Sparky will try and get you into a GM 2.28, right sparky  8-) , and the pinion speed would be great at 6600, but the engine speed will also be 6600 assuming a 1 to 1 high gear which might be low on your power band.  Up at the 300+ he is running along with the gear vendors overdrive it is just the ticket and I think he might even be running a higher (lower number) GM than the 2.28.

For what it is worth we also make our best power in the 6900-7000 rpm range and ran the 243 in '06 with a 2.47 rear and 28 inch tires and a muncie.  This year we ran the 250+ at about the same rpm, but with a g-force transmission using a .93 overdrive 4th that would have given us a little under 7500 rpm pinion speed with the same 2.47 gears.

There is a land speed quick change made with I think a 2.09 ring and pinion, but I believe it is close to $5000.  We will look at one of those if Hooley builds a true comp coupe car to replace the stude.

I have a spreadsheet for the pinion speeds that I made, but it isn't on my site, but could be if there was interest in it.

Good luck,

Sum

Offline jl222

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2008, 06:59:26 PM »
 I agree with Dynoroom about roadsters and coupes running about the same look at the records,within 5-10 mph with coups faster. Roadsters must be in the .5 range instead of the .75 that you state. If not you better hope that Wilson and Waters don't put there 232mph engine in a coupe. I read in a link here about the Jim Shrine street roadster having a cd in the .5 range. [Wind tunnel tested]
 The roadsters at El Mirage are faster than the coupes [ unblown in gas classes]
 It seems you should be going a lot faster than 207 somethings not right.Is it to rich to lean?
 If you like the roadster i would work with it.

Good luck JL222 :cheers:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2008, 07:32:56 PM »
Your gas roadster should be much better than a street roadster, however, here is the link to the Thacker & Shine Street Roadster wind tunnel testing: http://www.hotrod.com/roadtests/hrdp_0604_thacker_shine_a_v8_roadster_testing/index.html

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!