Author Topic: DO WE HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN??  (Read 19318 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Re: DO WE HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN??
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2008, 09:40:54 PM »
  Jon, sorry if my post sounded as if you banned Jack, I know you didn't.  I think you have done a very admirable job of trying to make a smooth transition of ownership with what you inherited.  I also don't mean in any way to take away the wonderful job Jon Amo did in creating this website.
  I don't think that any or all of us couldn't sit down for a beer with anyone else who loves LSR and not have a enjoyable experience.
  I think that all of us in our own selfish ways want this website to be catering to what each of us percieve to be the ultimate website of LSR.
  Sometimes things are taken out of context.  Sometimes our humor is not humorous to others.  Sometimes we don't like being constrained by rules (especially the bikers.......oop's, I forgot you are one of them).  Sometimes what others say just doesn't make sense.
  The important thing, in my opinion, is to keep the big picture in mind.  That means that all of us posters respect your rules, respect each other, and remember that we are all in this together.
  For those of you who think your being abused, trade jobs with Jim Jensen, the tech workers, or the many others who stand in the Sun all day and get bitched at for something they can't control.
  And for those of you who inundate Jon with your petty f...ing complaints, get a life.  Learn how to scroll....you know, the funny knob on your mouse.........
  Thanks again Jon for keeping this site alive.........Bob
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:59:05 AM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2008, 05:45:21 AM »
Hey Tbird,

there is no problem with your writing - it's just so that on landracing.com the most are Hot Rodders - people who like to go fast with there backyard built racer - the ALSR is not so in there mind - in the 60's the ALSR was still backyard built, but today the records are on a so level that it starts to be science and unaffortable......unfortunately......

I done a comment on a other thread to your writing - in a very short form - I was not interest to bother you with my comment - may be you could understand them the wrong way.

Therefore:

Your long notes are very interest for the people on this forum, but do me a favor - please stay on the right facts - your are telling nice stories, but, especially by the numbers, you got sometimes not the correct facts.

The problem is where people can get there knowledge about LSR and ALSR - they comes mostly from magazine like Hot Rod or the few books about LSR which are published over the years. Unfortunately very often this articles and books are not properly researched - a wonderful example was this year the article about the restored Goldenrod in the Hot Rod magazine.
When I read them I lost my last 50 hairs on my head....now I got three left over. But do to this that the people got no other media to get this information they have to believe this what they read in this article.

Stay on with your writing, but, please check a little bit your facts  :wink: thanks, and have a great christmas season...see you at the salt 2009.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 06:30:14 AM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2008, 12:36:10 PM »
PorkPie. I have had the "Last 3 Hairs" problem... I found that if you grow those hairs really long you can wrap them around your head a few times, and use your ears to hold them up! No one will ever notice. OR... you can look into the carburetor of an out of time engine just as your buddy hits the ignition switch... Either way it solves the problem. :-D
 I know this is off topic, but I thought this thread had pretty much run it's course so a little humor was in order. Remember "If it's a bad comb over.. it still means you have something to comb."

:cheers: Smitty

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2008, 01:09:15 PM »
My brothers comb over looks like a big cat scratched him across the top of his head, I just cut mine real short, no comb required and I don't care at my age.  :-D :roll: :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

427MG

« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2008, 02:45:18 PM »
TBird, I have to say I thoroughly enjoy reading the ALSR postings that you put up.  It may not be to everyones taste but they know the subject matter of the thread so it's easy to avoid.

It's the avoidance bit that I don't understand. Why would you?  LSR is a development originally from ALSR so surely we should all be encouraging and supporting our various countries in their endeavours through mediums such as this forum without all of the sillyness that seems to accompany it.
I realise that the comparisons in engineering between ASLR and LSR have diversified somewhat over the years and it's now less about the 'hot rod' style of engineering and more of the space travel style of engineering but at the end of the day it's all about going fast on land....thrust or driven. :wink:

Let's have more Tbird style postings on the subject from people that know their stuff and have lived it and that can pass it on to those of us who have only been involved for a couple of years.

Whether you're a dyed in the wool hotrodder or hold a doctorate in aerospace engineering, (or you're both!)  this is the place where we can all meet and exchange ideas from around the world.

Thank you SSS for the forum, from a newbie.

Go Bloodhound! :wink: :wink:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2008, 08:07:01 PM »
..............it wasn't all that long after I bought it -- that I deleted all the moderators save myself.  I'm the only one that has the control board to "moderate" now..............

Jon I think there is some confusion here as even though we no longer moderate we still have the "moderate" name tag by our names.  Might be good to remove those.

Thanks,

Sum

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2008, 08:15:27 PM »
Easy for you to say!  I'll look into it tomorrow, like I'll look into a bunch of other things.

For the good of the site I'm engaging Bob, a friend from another world of mine, to do the technical part of minding this website  I'm not willing to take the time to learn enough about programming to do stuff like needs doing on a regular basis -- and thanks to the donations you folks have sent to the site -- I can now take this step.

Back to "moderator" -- Yes, I removed the duty from all of you -- but only recently noticed that the title is still appended to your names.  Let's see what happens in the next week. . .

Thanks, Sum -- hi to Ruth.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2008, 08:33:24 PM »
Thanks Guys and Gals

I put a final post on the ALSR thread as I see it from my point of view its disturbing the forum in ways that people here my hate me. I came on here as I see it as a Landracing club forum meaning all types of LSR from wheel driven to Unlimited Jet/ Rocket ALSR I think I may have stepped on some toes here. I noticed from my first thread you thought I was a person you banned I don't want that at all. I came on here with respect to all LSR efforts and drivers we share the same passion risk of life speed and setting records. But after Slim's post on my thread its time to shut it down. If it where moved to a differaint forum it would die off anyways

I respect you all have a nice Christmas and new years and a very safe and record breaking 2009
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 08:35:46 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2008, 08:44:38 PM »
Hey, no, don't go away -- you've now got your own place/board.  Your posts are interesting to many, as I said elsewhere.  I didn't want your ALSR stuff to detract from the Bonneville-specific posts, that's all.

Look on the list of boards -- you'll find the new one right after the WCTA board.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2008, 09:26:08 PM »
  Phew!  I started reading your post and I thought you and I were getting engaged!  Worse yet, I thought you were turning to me for technical assistance. 
  I still can't figure how to download a picture for Sum...................
  p.s.  Dolan and I are no longer a couple.....................Bob :wink:
Bob Drury

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2008, 11:15:52 PM »
57bird, anyone on this forum that tells you that the battle for the ALSR in the 60s isn't the reason they got interested in LSR in the first place are either fibbing a bit or they were raised by the SCTA leaders and didn't have a choice...  :roll: 

Jon, all of the prop and water stuff that Ratcliff previously posted could be moved to the new area, as long as you are not doing anything to fill your days....  :-P  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2008, 11:23:09 PM »
57bird, anyone on this forum that tells you that the battle for the ALSR in the 60s isn't the reason they got interested in LSR in the first place are either fibbing a bit or they were raised by the SCTA leaders and didn't have a choice...  :roll: 

I blame it all on Jim McKay, Roone Arledge, and the Wide World of Sports.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: