Author Topic: DO WE HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN??  (Read 19365 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Re: DO WE HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN??
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2008, 05:30:44 PM »
  Having had the pleasure of meeting both Jon's  (A. and W.) I don't for a moment think that either of them ever took any actions as site owners without a lot of forthought.  As Tom correctly stated, you can't please everyone all the time.
  I think as a moderator you kind of have to sell your soul to the devil in that you may have to make decisions that go against what you may or may not feel, for the good of the site.
  In the grand scheme of things in today's economic turmoil, Frankie is just a spec on a fly's a... but just the same its a shame that censorship is needed on a open site.
  Having said that, this is still a great asset to our sport, and  when you add up the pro's vs. the con's, without the hard work of both Jon's, we would have little or no contact with each other and all the valuable info we have gleaned from each other.
  I only wish it didn't smell of politics........ive had enough of that for a few years.............
  Carry on Jon, your our commander in chief, and I stand behind you.................Bob
Bob Drury

Offline desotoman

« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2008, 06:46:04 PM »
Damed if you do and Damed if you don't.

Or you can put it this way:
Damned if you do and Damned if you don't.

Dean,

How did you get that to work? When I typed those words in and posted other words showed up, so I edited my post to damed and it took it.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2008, 08:56:21 PM »
55 parts on the way             willie buchta

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2008, 09:03:09 PM »
Hey Joe, what is wrong with my home town
Amsterdam NL. .........

....they try to close the Coffee Shops....... :-D
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2008, 11:06:56 PM »
Hi Tom!

The evil dirty word filter only works against a continuous string of letters.

Code: [Select]
[size=10pt]Dam[/size]ned if you do and [size=10pt]Dam[/size]ned if you don't.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline pookie

« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2008, 11:58:28 PM »
Hi, Glen and all. I don't have a problem with FR, I'm not to concerned with his banishment from this site, BUT I do wonder why the hell you all get so up set with him when you know what he is all about. There is nothing to gain by trying to argue with him so why not just ignore the guy. If he posts, don't read it. Let me ask you, if FR was standing next to you, leaning on the fence at the starting line at El  Mirage, and he started up a conversation with you about his propster, how many seconds would it take for you to get the hell away from him?Pretty soon, he would have the whole fence to himself, because no one would be interested in his opinion. But what does bother me is the mean spirited, glib, sarcastic remarks , antagonizing remarks, pushing this guy to turn around and fight, but its just a screen, not the wiseguy who said all the bad things to him. Look how Noonan was going on, and Dean of LA. They started up on the new member 57 t-bird, hell, I even thought he was FR myself for a while, but as it turns out, the guy is a stand up guy, he is legit, and he has a great interest in unlimited LSR. What happened, he is gone because of a few clowns jumping on him. Where is Willie World, what a good guy, I'm sure he would give you the shirt off his back, then have you sit down to have dinner with him . Couple of the same pin heads do their thing on him, now he is not giving us any of his talented ideas or build diaries.. and I could go on, especially on Dean of LA, who used the dumbest analogy the world has ever seen, on the personal parachute thread, asking why FR doesn't go and try to convince the Moto Gp guys to use it in their form of racing. and not one person called him on it. I got a lot to say to him, so if he wants to argue PM me.  So it goes on Glen, these few "big time racers"  that really don't give much direction about a build  but are never shy about tooting their own horn.  Kent Riches has got it RIGHT. You know I  have watched Mr. Riches in the pits talking and working and he comes across to me as one hell of a stand up guy.  So, Old F"boy" Ratliff even if he is a "bone head" is the fat kid on the play ground, surrounded by the big bad bullies who know they can kick his ass  still screwing with him because it makes them feel real tough. THAT is Totalley WRONG. and SSS allowed it to happen not just this time but all the times before and never once did he enforce the rules that he authored and made us all acknowledge before we were allowed on this site... So thats my "BEEF", and I will not give a red cent to this web site until SSS  starts making those guys toe the line that HE DREW IN THE SAND... 1 more thing, anyone remember MR. JACK DOLAN. I miss him also.. I couldn't care less what Jon Amo or anyone else  thought of Mr. Dolan he knew his stuff.

Offline joea

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2008, 02:04:43 AM »
........ya have your  own website.......ya do what ya like......

jon a. respects jack d. immensely.......

jack is not banned......he can come and go as he pleases...

and yes ....getting to know folks...up front and personal is often very revealing....

thats why i appreciate Kent so much.....

and yes pookie.....like you mentioned........the site is FREE for you...

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2008, 02:56:32 AM »
Pookie, I'd like to address some of your points, too.

Let me ask you, if FR was standing next to you, leaning on the fence at the starting line at El  Mirage, and he started up a conversation with you about his propster, how many seconds would it take for you to get the hell away from him?Pretty soon, he would have the whole fence to himself, because no one would be interested in his opinion.

Speaking for myself, I'd love to meet Franklin face to face, and I suspect many others would, too.  It's my hope that some day I will.

I suspect that the problem with communicating with Franklin, and ALL of my communications with Franklin have been through this forum, e-mails and PM's, is that the medium of an on-line forum lacks nuance (avatars notwithstanding).  Mr. Ratliff's posts were often dogmatic, he dodged direct questions or challenges, and seldom took an interest in anything else this forum had to offer other than his own research.

Perhaps face to face, on the sideline at Elmo, a great conversation regarding propulsion vehicles could ensue with the man. 

I'll also restate my position that nothing would give me a bigger smile than for Franklin to prove us all wrong.

But what does bother me is the mean spirited, glib, sarcastic remarks , antagonizing remarks, pushing this guy to turn around and fight, but its just a screen, not the wiseguy who said all the bad things to him.

Probably nobody's proudest moments, but most of the venom directed at Franklin was out of frustration with his inability to communicate in a tone that didn't come across as empirical or rude.

They started up on the new member 57 t-bird, hell, I even thought he was FR myself for a while, but as it turns out, the guy is a stand up guy, he is legit, and he has a great interest in unlimited LSR.

Me, too, and if you look at some of 57's posts and compare them to some of the pdf posts Ratliff has put up, there was a striking resemblance.  I later apologized to Jim for my doubts. 

Kent Riches has got it RIGHT. You know I  have watched Mr. Riches in the pits talking and working and he comes across to me as one hell of a stand up guy.  So, Old F"boy" Ratliff even if he is a "bone head" is the fat kid on the play ground, surrounded by the big bad bullies who know they can kick his ass  still screwing with him because it makes them feel real tough.

Kent's work, passion and success speak for itself.  My post earlier in this thread, quoting only Kent, was intended to demonstrate that Kent was employing the very tactics he denounced in his recent post.  I think he undermined his position in doing so.

But that is the problem with Franklin - he brings out the worst in a lot of otherwise very good people.  Even those who defend him.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline pookie

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2008, 11:24:47 AM »
Mr. M Midget& Joe A ;  It is my understanding this web site is for all people who are interested in LSR. SSS set up rules for " each" of us to follow when having interaction with others on this web site.  But, a certain few, I say "few" because I am certain there are several thousand registered users, and many guests as well, have been "allowed" to get away with verbally pushing certain people around! I mentioned a few of their names in my last post. The question is, my fellow web site users, WHO WILL BE NEXT> By allowing this conduct, SSS is actually  defeating the purpose of this forum, to exchange ideas, getting answers to LSR questions and providing us with coverage of Landspeed events. Who can ever forget the outstanding blow by blow  coverage of , read by thousands of us, when the 5 fastest cars and bikes were running at the  Bonneville time trials put on by Mike Cook. At least, thats what I thought  this web site was all about. Hey, maybe I'm wrong.  You see this thread is NOT about ol' FR, it really is about the "Bullies" being allowed to get away with  their actions and then BRAGGING ABOUT IT. Look at Noonans left hand column whenever he posts, "the great Ratliif hunter" Here's what amazes me about all this crap, IF YOU DISAGREE WITH WHAT IS BEING POSTED WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOU READ IT OR RESPOND IN A VICIOUS< DEMEANING WAY if not to only provoke a negative response . Joe A. Please read the last post that your brother sent to Mr. Dolan when Carl Johannsen and Mr. Dolan were posting about the LSR event Carl is promoting next year at Lovelock Nev.  Then tell me how much Jon respects Mr. Dolan.  Next if you are of a mind too, look at his posting to "Willie" when he posted how much he missed Mr. Dolan, Willie hasn't been heard of since, same with Mr. Dolan. I KNOW MOST PEOPLE READING THIS RANT WILL PROBLEY SAY  who in the hell is this guy, but you know I've been reading this website for 3+ years and I have just had it with the"Bully's" around here. People who go out and deliberately pick on someone,regardless if he or she is a pinhead, are just a bunch of cowards, who wouldn't have the guts to say the same thing to their face. There, enough ranting from me, I'll go back to lurking, oh yeah. FOR FREE until I see a change in Mr. SSS enforcement of HIS RULES.

Offline pookie

« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2008, 12:04:31 PM »
PS: I know I said I was going away but I felt I should add, if Mr. SSS can figure out a way to enforce his rules on civility, I would be happy, NO HONORED, to continue my VERY VERY small financial support of this Landracing website, and Landspeed Racing. I have been aware and around LSR since the Mid 50s,know several of the old timers from back in the day. I have had only admiration and awe for ALL participants   and it continues to be just as passionate today   as it was when I was a young "Whipper Snapper." May you all achieve your goals in the finest endeavor of all:::: Land Speed Racing!!!!!!

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2008, 12:30:25 PM »
Pookie has explained things very well, and I agree.

For me, Franklin's posts weren't nearly as annoying or distracting as all the uproar that followed them.

There is an art to being a moderator. I can't agree with allowing people to rip Franklin to shreds, or deleting my posts (like the one from a few months back where I mentioned that I created and hosted the original Web sites for the SCTA/BNI, the USFRA, and the ECTA) without any explanation, or disallowing us from using words as common and mundane as "d a m b".

Dave Mann
(602) 233-8400
http://www.roadsters.com/

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2008, 01:00:18 PM »
wow ya know this is good... healthy banter between people who like, or dislike each other.. and those who dislike will probable have a beer together sometime on a lakebed... this is good.... now let me toss this out to ya.... i like I'm sure most of you lurk and even post in other forums... take a moment to evaluate those forums cuz when i do, it seems that the forums that do not censor cussing, fighting, smack talking, written azz beatings are the ones that are huge sites with ton's of activity and members... wether they are right or wrong the posters seem to settle things themselves... now the sites that regulate seem rarely visited, with little activity....  unless your into Kitty's, bubbles, or roses.... Now I'm gonna say this... I like Slim!... I like him alot... maybe not as much as Nancy.... But be is one heii of a stand up nice guy... thats why i think you guys put Slim in a tough "damm if ya do" situation... don't do that! it's not fair to Slim... Amo got sick and tired of it and shut the site down.. Slim doesn't seem to be the stick it back in your face guy like Amo is.... Its not Slims fault... you punks pressured him in PM's... Do do it.... I know every one of you that claimed use the ignore button read Franks posts and I'm sure everyone of you tune in to see what the butt head posted new... hypocrites.... Midget quoted one of my posts cuz he thinks i am one.... yep I'm a call it as i see it type of guy...thats why i got kicked off of here before... actually it was for attacking a self proclaimed know it all on here.... kinda just like what you guys did only i used profanity....
Kent

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2008, 02:32:17 PM »
Heck, you don't have to swear to get the boot.........Dolan never once (to the best of my knowlege) swore or used any names as the focus of his orations, and he still took it in the arse, gol durn it..................Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2008, 04:53:03 PM »
Hi there, boys and girls.  I guess it's time once again for me to sign in here.

First of all -- Bob, I haven't banned Jack Dolan.  If he was ever so kept from being a part of this Forum -- it was by others. 

Pookie:  I thank you for your comments.  The rules weren't written by me, although they are now "my" rules by the fact that I've bought and paid for the site.  I don't think they're onerous, and I'm trying to "enforce" them more by acclamation than by brute force.  I haven't done much "ruling".  Most of what has been done was by others, whether with or without permission.  Case in point:  I didn't delete any posts (if memory serves correctly).  Others, acting as moderators, did do so.  All of those appointed as moderators were so granted that authority before I got the site, and it wasn't all that long after I bought it -- that I deleted all the moderators save myself.  I'm the only one that has the control board to "moderate" now.  Well - not specifically true.  I do have one helper that has the magic decoder ring so that I can get technical help.  To the best of my knowledge that person has not done any moderating by task -- but has, on occasion, contacted me to mention a specific incident that might need some action by me.  But nobody is doing any deleting of posts these days -- except the one that ALWAYS has the power to delete -- the original poster.

As for excising "swear" words, well, yeah, I'm guilty there.  I admit that I could allow the use of one, or two, or maybe more -- but I look at this site as one that must remain economically viable - so that I can someday sell it, someday pepper it with commercial sponsors to pay for whatever costs are incurred.  By keeping the swearing at a minimum I'm not restricting the viewing of the site to those that can stand the strong language.  I've done what I could to allow swearing, in fact -- by using the software to substitute words for the more common curse words.  It works -- and seems to bring a bit of enjoyment to many on the Forum.  As evidence note how many people apparently enjoy using the substitute words to emphasize their point -- how many are finding that they can get the extra emphasis of a swear word -- by using one of the substitutes.

Okay -- that's that.  Thanks, all of you, for logging on to landracing.com, for sending your support my way, and for being part of this community.  Best regards --

Jon
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2008, 08:55:03 PM »
Sorry Guys

I just looked through this I didn't know that  my threads on ALSR was going to effect some in such a way as to hate me. I been into drag racing all my life my mom and dad took me when my dad raced as a baby its growing up in the sport. I was 5 years old when I seen Sonic 1 and the Green monster battle in Hot Rod Magazine. I was hooked I love the ALSR more than drag racing I am a hot rodder with a dream and passion to one day battle among them. I may have come off like someone els you are talking about not me its from the heart of what I love most in this world. When you think of the ALSR day in and out thinking of design researching all the failed designs and the proven record designs like I do its special. I like this Landracing site so many great people and LSR cars. I like to meet as many of you in 2009 Speed week as I can to gain knowledge see your LSR cars how you built them. Bonneville is by far very interesting and Black Rock I go to once a month to Bruno's Country Club to chat with the bar tender the 97 history of the ALSR

All in all in my book your all great with a LSR heart challenge to the limit of your machines to gain on a record greatest racing on earth. Thank you for letting me be a part of it. You can who I am and the racing I do through my web page

http://fordflashback.com/jd_fords.asp
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 10:02:48 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »