Author Topic: DO WE HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN??  (Read 19319 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: DO WE HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN??
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008, 11:02:15 AM »
Folks:

I've banned Franklin Ratliff from the forum.  I don't like "having" to ban him -- but I think that for the general good of this grouup it is best that he no longer be allowed to post.

I understand all too well that there are some folks in this group that feel he offers valuable information to them/all -- but as the administrator I must aim for the greatest good to the greatest number of members of the group.  The feedback I've received about Mr. Ratliff in the past two days tells me that I needed to ban him.

In the past I offered him his own topic so he could post at his will and those who chose not to read his stuff -- could easily avoid it.  He turned my offer down.  And As for the other suggestions -- limiting the length of his posts, for instance -- there's no easy way to do that with the Forum software.  So it was all or nothing - I chose nothing.

I hope you'll all understand that I want this to remain a vital and valid place for interchange of ideas and good wishes and will continue with your conversations as before.

Regards --

Jon  a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2008, 11:10:59 AM »
SSS---Thanks for the Fourm---there are lots of us read nearly every post to try to gain insigts into what we are attempting to accomplish---whatever it may be---personally I am addicted to visiting the MAYOR at his place!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline aircap

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2008, 12:46:46 PM »
I kiss your feet!!!!
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2008, 01:33:46 PM »
Thanks Jon, you made my day. :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2008, 02:01:28 PM »
Wow.... good for you Slim... well i guess this is your little kitty litter box you can do whatever you and your moderators want to.... even if it is full of pizzing and moaning little girls... so ya pulled up you skirt and did what your people wanted... i gotta ask ya, what is your idea of the focus of this site? It seems like it exist only for a few to pal around.... i mean the last time i checked this was the "Landracing" web site... i dont see anywhere that the conversations are to only be about wheel driven, IC motored, Blue colored vehicles west of the Mississippi... and yet when a subject was brought up about thrust all your girls throw a hissy fit.... as far as the people who post, big deal who they are and wether they are liked or not... as long as they bring ideas, information, and engaging conversation let em post... yep Frank showed back up and engaged in conversation about thrust and he took 3 days of attacks before he snapped... and likewise im sure you Slim took 3 days of attacks from these little girls... you all should be ashamed at your selfs but probably wont cuz you got your play pen back just the way you like it.... I for one liked the decade old pix Frank posted and actually he made one very usefull post about canopy emergancy releases... i checked out his link and then studied some of the pix he had posted and came up with a couple of good ideas for my new liner, I look at those pix and see past ideas, craftsmanship, and help solving design problems... You guys look at them and see wasted bandwidth.... i beleave you cant go forward without looking back.... Talk about wasted bandwidth, check out the introduce yourself pages, It is bloated with comments like: This is "THE place where you come for answers to your questions" and likewise "you can learn from other peoples mistakes" and yet you tossed arguably one of the sports knowledgeable historians... Yes i probably should have been a little PC and PM'd this message tp slim but it really is directed to the punks on here.. so here is a little bit of history that i see repaeting itself.... When i was in grade school, i saw the bullies picking on the fat kid in the play ground....

later!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2008, 02:34:12 PM »
Anyone want to touch this one?  8-)

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2008, 02:37:45 PM »
Nope!  Stuck a fork in it and  "It's Done!"   :roll:

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Flyboy

• Graduate National Test Pilots School,
    • http://WWW.SKYDANCERLE.COM
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2008, 03:27:32 PM »
Wow.... good for you Slim... well i guess this is your little kitty litter box you can do whatever you and your moderators want to.... even if it is full of pizzing and moaning little girls... so ya pulled up you skirt and did what your people wanted... i gotta ask ya, what is your idea of the focus of this site? It seems like it exist only for a few to pal around.... i mean the last time i checked this was the "Landracing" web site... i dont see anywhere that the conversations are to only be about wheel driven, IC motored, Blue colored vehicles west of the Mississippi... and yet when a subject was brought up about thrust all your girls throw a hissy fit.... as far as the people who post, big deal who they are and wether they are liked or not... as long as they bring ideas, information, and engaging conversation let em post... yep Frank showed back up and engaged in conversation about thrust and he took 3 days of attacks before he snapped... and likewise im sure you Slim took 3 days of attacks from these little girls... you all should be ashamed at your selfs but probably wont cuz you got your play pen back just the way you like it.... I for one liked the decade old pix Frank posted and actually he made one very usefull post about canopy emergancy releases... i checked out his link and then studied some of the pix he had posted and came up with a couple of good ideas for my new liner, I look at those pix and see past ideas, craftsmanship, and help solving design problems... You guys look at them and see wasted bandwidth.... i beleave you cant go forward without looking back.... Talk about wasted bandwidth, check out the introduce yourself pages, It is bloated with comments like: This is "THE place where you come for answers to your questions" and likewise "you can learn from other peoples mistakes" and yet you tossed arguably one of the sports knowledgeable historians... Yes i probably should have been a little PC and PM'd this message tp slim but it really is directed to the punks on here.. so here is a little bit of history that i see repaeting itself.... When i was in grade school, i saw the bullies picking on the fat kid in the play ground...."

Kent I agree with you. How do you guys know he's not some paraplegic somewhere in a wheel chair poking out these replies with a pencil in his teeth? Doesn't having an "Ignore" button solve the problem for those of you that are bothered? If I can learn one thing from all his "multitude of posts"  then I am happy. Some of his quotes are very deep and right on the mark. One of my own favorite quotes is "In life, you are either learning...or dying." You can't learn anything new in life if everyone thinks like you. If it deals with the Speed of anything- past, present or future, I want to learn about it so I can grow as a person and a racer--

Aren't some of the most brillant minds in the World, (in regards to speed) members or readers of this website? People get ahead in this World by thinking "outside the box". Ask Burt Rutan how he got ahead. Then look at General Motors and you'll immediately see why they're a failure. I would hate to think that anyone who communicates "differently" but sometimes brillantly would be excommunicated from this site when a lot of us strive to think "outside the box" everyday-- Bill

later!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 05:23:54 PM by Flyboy »
One Fast ZX-14
Three World and Four AMA Land Speed Records
One Fast Cessna Turbo 210

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2008, 04:35:31 PM »
 :evil:  now?   :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2008, 05:06:08 PM »
  Kent, I only agree with your posts about 66% of the time, but you are right on with this one. 
  The last time Frankie was banned here he was vilified by the "folks in the know" including several site "moderaters" (now there's a double entandre if I have ever seen one) who seemingly take delight in igniting fires if they don't like the person, not because they disagree with the post.  Some of these are the very same people who demanded that Jack Dolan be banned or the money would dry up in supporting this site. 
  In other words, they want freedom of speech as long as its their speech, and any opposing views should not be allowed.
  I will be the first to admit that Frankie is usually annoying even when he is right, but the same people who applaud his dimice have the same ability to skip or delete as the rest of us.
  When you start deleting or banning posts that you disagree with, you are killing what this site is supposed to be about, OPEN DISCUSSION about ALL aspects of Land Speed Racing....  Bob

Bob Drury

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2008, 05:06:33 PM »
Just in case it is missed on the other meandering thread on ALSR - I too would expect this group to tolerate all forms of land speed racing discussion - thrust powered as much as wheeldrive.  I know your racing organisations do not sanction thrust powered cars but the BUB meeting allowed two wheelers with rocket power.  Whether it is steam powered  or just IC, Diesel or electric we can all learn a little more each day from such variety.  I even learn from the 'naked' conventional bike riders!  

I predict that all absolute speed records on two, three and four wheels will all be set by thrust powered vehicles within this first decade of the 21st Century and some of them will be 'home constructed' vehicles too.

I support your actions Slim because no one can moderate FR to create an acceptable forum with his contributions.

Malcolm UK
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2008, 05:30:50 PM »
................. I support your actions Slim because no one can moderate FR to create an acceptable forum with his contributions.

Malcolm UK

This is what it comes down to is supporting Slim, but still giving him feedback.  I'm glad (sorry) this has been his decision and not one I had to make.

Kent I know where you are coming from and support most of it except where you called me one of the "girls" for talking about a lunch engagement.  I think there is room for that on this board to some degree, but I agree that lengthy one on one conversations between members would best be carried out on the phone, PM's or e-mail.  Personally I get tired of FR's repetitive posts, but I can ignore them and like others and you have said he sure has contributed a lot of history.  Not necessarily info I'm interested in, but I'm sure others are.

Not an easy call for Jon to make, but I'd support him which ever way he goes with this,

Sum

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2008, 06:11:02 PM »
If you want to hear from Franklin Ratliff his e-mail is
propsterguy@aol.com, send him yours and he will fill your incoming box daily. I am not trying to be sarcastic but if you want conversation and repeated history or want information on something he has a great library and will be happy to send it to you. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2008, 06:45:30 PM »
You're right Glen , however I would caution anyone from doing this . after an aggressive exchange with him the time before last when he was banned I said "hey, here I am,here's my email......." now, due to the length and unusual nature of my email spam address generators didn't hit it and in ten years it had NEVER attracted any spam. Once I was on the Propsters list , who I might add emails with visible addresses not the BCC the spam began. slowly at first then more and more until finally during my recent hospital stay my email account was hacked and hi-jacked.Most people , me included have a certain amount of personal information in there....as yet I haven't suffered any personal loss from it but that doesn't mean I won't and it took a long time to get back in.

Ultimately FR has a lot to offer in terms of history , but what he lacks in discretion , diplomacy and the ability to judge what is appropriate in a conversation or to conduct an "argument" in a civil ,logical and reasonable manner undermines all the hard work he's put into his passion.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 09:59:04 PM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline salt27

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2008, 08:21:58 PM »
Ultimately FR has a lot to offer in terms of history , but what he lacks in discretion , diplomacy and the ability to judge what is appropriate in a conversation or to conduct an "argument" in a civil ,logical and reasonable manner undermine all the hard work he's put into his passion.

True words.
Jon had to make a tough decision, but I think it was his best option.

Don