Author Topic: DO WE HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN??  (Read 19316 times)

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
Re: DO WE HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN??
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 04:01:45 PM »
Why not just have an FR section, so that those who find (some of the stuff) it interesting can access the material?
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 05:26:09 PM »
Jon --

I think limiting him someway to a post or two or length limit would be most fair.  It's his domination of each and every subject, and the time it takes to go thru it all that wears one out.

Yes, Kent, he often does have sometihing to offer.  And I, too, feel the same way about all the social news and chat that ought to be pms (What time are you getting there?, Let's have lunch, etc.).  But his use of the site is overwhelming, and I think tends to turn a lot of folks off in itself, and away from the site altogether.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Tzoom

• All revved up with no place to go - Meatloaf 1977
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 06:11:34 PM »
I tried engaging in civil conversation with him when I first joined the forum a few months ago.  He wouldn't let me.  I had no more than stated something (respectfully) that disagreed with him he turned on me with all the vitriol he could muster.  I blocked him.  I had totally forgotten about him until I saw this thread.  I hope I can forget about him again, real soon. 
Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games --- Ernest Hemingway

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 07:00:17 PM »
I've been both in Ratliff's corner and on his case.  I've PM'd him, I've read some of his stuff, and enjoyed some of it, and also thought that he was out of bounds on some things.  But I put him on ignore after receiving e-mails directly from him. 

In some ways, he seems to be a savant, and in some ways, he seems to lack social graces.  That probably describes a lot of us, but Franklin seems to be acute in both categories.

As long as someone is willing to argue with him, he has a reason to be here.  And as long as someone else needs to have the last word with him, we'll have a reason to keep him around.

Kind of like "The Gimp" from Pulp Fiction.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 08:09:21 PM »
As long as someone is willing to argue with him, he has a reason to be here.

That implies a two-way conversation. He is on 24/7 spew mode and never answers a question. He just parrots what he has already posted, ad nauseam.

The major topic of interest here is internal combustion, wheel driven racing. That's what 99 percent of the people here do. Everything else has a place, but not to the extent that it takes over life.

Ad nauseam is a Latin term used to describe an argument that has been continuing "[to the point of] nausea".[1] For example, the phrase, "This topic has been discussed ad nauseam"; signifies that it has been discussed extensively, and that everyone involved is tired of that discussion.

Ad nauseam arguments are logical fallacies that rely upon the repetition of a single argument while ignoring other valid arguments, to counter those other arguments. This tactic relies on the use of intentional obfuscation, in which other logic and rationality is intentionally ignored in favor of preconceived, and ultimately, subjective modes of reasoning and rationality.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 09:39:33 PM »

Members of cliques are puzzled by independent thinkers who are their own man.

ROBERT HEINLEIN:

"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill."

"Being right too soon is socially unacceptable."

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me. "

"One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen."

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

"A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity."

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 10:00:05 PM »

ROBERT HEINLEIN:

"One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen."

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

"A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity."

I pretty much agree with what you say here.  Just remember that most of us enjoy the history of LSR, just not most of your commentary or responses.  Again most of us are piston driven knuckleheads (me, not including everyone) who love the sound of a high horsepower pounding engine.  Don't get me wrong I love the sound of military jet flying above, but until I can see a jet vehicle on the salt for myself I'm just not that thrilled by the topic.

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 10:26:02 PM »

ROBERT HEINLEIN:

I pretty much agree with what you say here.  Just remember that most of us enjoy the history of LSR, just not most of your commentary or responses.  Again most of us are piston driven knuckleheads (me, not including everyone) who love the sound of a high horsepower pounding engine.  Don't get me wrong I love the sound of military jet flying above, but until I can see a jet vehicle on the salt for myself I'm just not that thrilled by the topic.

Best way to see a jet is at night at a dragstrip.

Offline aircap

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 11:50:33 PM »
I'm a very patient guy with fellow like old Ratman, but I pulled the trigger on him just minutes ago.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Blue

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2008, 01:34:58 AM »
I tried engaging in civil conversation with him when I first joined the forum a few months ago.  He wouldn't let me.  I had no more than stated something (respectfully) that disagreed with him he turned on me with all the vitriol he could muster.  I blocked him.  I had totally forgotten about him until I saw this thread.  I hope I can forget about him again, real soon. 
I could say the same, and I could not say it better.

I do not presume that my absence really matters to anyone, however I will not be posting or even lurking while the rat is allowed to spew his hateful and uninformed diatribes.  Someone email me if and when he is gone for good.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2008, 03:18:45 AM »
yeah, if you would have ever posted anything usefull i might say id miss ya.... see ya blue!
Kent

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 07:10:10 AM »
Why not just have an FR section, so that those who find (some of the stuff) it interesting can access the material?
I put him on ignore but I still have to remember which of his numerous threads are his!.
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 07:26:59 AM »
I could say the same, and I could not say it better.

I do not presume that my absence really matters to anyone, however I will not be posting or even lurking while the rat is allowed to spew his hateful and uninformed diatribes.  Someone email me if and when he is gone for good.

(Richard Noble) "A sort of Maccho culture has built up which has left many of the Bonneville drivers running unnecessarily high risks because the cars often have minimal safety structures. My good friend Franklin Ratliff is not only an excellent historian but also has been leading a campaign to get this noticed and standards improved."

Richard Noble is himself a former World Land Speed Record holder and project leader for the team that built Thrust SSC (the first supersonic car). Who the f**k are you?

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 08:10:16 AM »
That last remark is totally uncalled for FR! You are now in the gutter. It does not belong on here.
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 09:16:40 AM »
Bvillecr---Love the old Piston War planes---although I will give jets one thing---vertical slowrolls are sorta neat :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!