Author Topic: Rider Drag Chutes  (Read 11398 times)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Rider Drag Chutes
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 07:31:39 AM »
Accidental deployment was the terminology used and was mentioned as a concern, please keep up..

What different injuries would Jason have had with a deathchute I mean Parachute..

Your conclusions are not supported by any empirical experience, i.e. reality.

With the creation of the Hayabusa, Suzuki engineers have made some bike racers think they're geniuses.

Larry Welch, the first drag bike racer to go 200 mph, wore a rider drag chute. Arvil Porter, the man who designed and built the rocket motors and frame for Welch's bike, himself wore a rider drag chute when running his own rocket drag bike, achieving a personal best of 196 mph.

Some bike racers dismiss the idea of the rider drag chute for the sole reason that because they didn't think of it themselves it therefore must be a bad idea.

Ratcliff,

Thank you for once again not answering the questions asked of you in response to the BS you blatantly post here over and over.

Have you ever raced at the salt or the lakes Maxton even in any vehicle other than a dream machine?

Have you ever volunteered to assist any of the organizations  while attending a time trial?

Have you even one timing slip from above Org's?

I am betting the simple answer will be a resounding NO...

How many motorcycle frames have you designed and built? Have you ever designed from scratch a motorcycle engine? Since you run in a category that doesn't even require drag chutes, what is your experience installing, packing, and releasing chutes?

And as expected you failed to answer any questions :roll:....No and none.

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 07:42:51 AM »
Accidental deployment was the terminology used and was mentioned as a concern, please keep up..

What different injuries would Jason have had with a deathchute I mean Parachute..

Your conclusions are not supported by any empirical experience, i.e. reality.

With the creation of the Hayabusa, Suzuki engineers have made some bike racers think they're geniuses.

Larry Welch, the first drag bike racer to go 200 mph, wore a rider drag chute. Arvil Porter, the man who designed and built the rocket motors and frame for Welch's bike, himself wore a rider drag chute when running his own rocket drag bike, achieving a personal best of 196 mph.

Some bike racers dismiss the idea of the rider drag chute for the sole reason that because they didn't think of it themselves it therefore must be a bad idea.

Ratcliff,

Thank you for once again not answering the questions asked of you in response to the BS you blatantly post here over and over.

Have you ever raced at the salt or the lakes Maxton even in any vehicle other than a dream machine?

Have you ever volunteered to assist any of the organizations  while attending a time trial?

Have you even one timing slip from above Org's?

I am betting the simple answer will be a resounding NO...

How many motorcycle frames have you designed and built? Have you ever designed from scratch a motorcycle engine? Since you run in a category that doesn't even require drag chutes, what is your experience installing, packing, and releasing chutes?

And as expected you failed to answer any questions :roll:....No and none.

So apparently you don't have the slightest firsthand experience of any kind with drag chutes, but have decided you've somehow all of a sudden become an expert anyway.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 08:09:47 AM »
Ratcliff:

John answered your question directly and honestly. You have done neither for any question put to you. You have no credibility.

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 10:02:04 AM »
Ratcliff:

John answered your question directly and honestly. You have done neither for any question put to you. You have no credibility.

Any other response is irrelevant because it's simply responding to an ad hominen attack.

The only relevant response is knowledge of and experience with drag chutes.

Never deploying let alone never even touching a drag chute is hardly qualification for a critical response.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 10:04:48 AM by Ratliff »

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 11:38:17 AM »
So apparently you don't have the slightest firsthand experience of any kind with drag chutes, but have decided you've somehow all of a sudden become an expert anyway.

Raty has no experience in ANYTHING yet is an expert.

Jason's crash video clearly shows him being spit off AHEAD of the bike. The parachute would have pulled him back and the bike would have run over him.

God, this is such fun!

Raty's website:
http://www.moronregistry.com/
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 11:40:48 AM by Dean Los Angeles »
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 12:18:09 PM »
Drivers with personnel drag chutes have been separating from drag boats at all kinds of angles and attitudes for decades.

The experience of people going 240 to 260 mph on open bikes told nothing to anyone about what would happen when an open bike got sideways at 240 mph, or what would happen when the rider separated from the bike.

When I began pushing for rider drag chutes I wasn't reacting to anything that had already happened.

I was pushing for rider drag chutes before a rider came off a bike at Bonneville going 200+ mph. I was pushing for rider drag chutes before anyone got killed on an open land speed bike.

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 12:41:28 PM »
i don't know about or have an opinion about rider drag chutes. but ratliff, you seem to enjoy pizzing this forum off.
then, when something important needs to be answered, on another thread ; the person w/ a needed reply might just blow it off--cuz of you!

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 02:11:32 PM »
i don't know about or have an opinion about rider drag chutes. but ratliff, you seem to enjoy pizzing this forum off.
then, when something important needs to be answered, on another thread ; the person w/ a needed reply might just blow it off--cuz of you!

franey

And how does this relate to the technical issues involved with rider drag chute deployment?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 03:00:05 PM »
Dean, I heard he was kicked off tha moron site as well :-o
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 05:31:24 PM »
I don't make a pimple on a land racers butt . But a parachute on a motorcycle ?
This must be a joke?
#1 WTF
#2 How would it have helped Dave ?
#3 I cant imagine what you would hook it to . Would you hook it to the bike?
If you hooked it to the rider.Would it brake your back or neck when it blossomed. When you are falling or jump out of an airplane your feet are down and the chute is on the top. If you are tumbling across asphalt and it could pop open with your body tangled in string.
This MUST be a joke.Or a Troll post.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 07:13:51 PM by racer x »
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 07:29:13 PM »
I don't make a pimple on a land racers butt . But a parachute on a motorcycle ?
This must be a joke?
#1 WTF
#2 How would it have helped Dave ?
#3 I cant imagine what you would hook it to . Would you hook it to the bike?
If you hooked it to the rider.Would it brake your back or neck when it blossomed. When you are falling or jump out of an airplane your feet are down and the chute is on the top. If you are tumbling across asphalt and it could pop open with your body tangled in string.
This MUST be a joke.Or a Troll post.

Those questions were all answered over 34 years ago. You hook a static line (a tether) from the chute to the bike. If the rider begins separating from the bike his body puts tension on the static line and releases the chute.

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 08:21:08 PM »
I must apologize I thought this was a Joke. I still don't get it. you have a chute hooked to your back? and tie the line that pulls the chute out of its pack to the bike. So when you fall off the bike . You get dragged buy the bike along with the chute down the track.
The bike being the heavy object I would think the bike would be in front of the rider.
I must admit I know very little . But I still cant figure out how the chute will open with rider and bike dragging along the ground.
And I don't think it will do much if you leave the track.
Maybe a Bonneville it could work but at tracks like Maxton I just cant see how it would help.Sorry for my own confusion.

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 09:19:19 PM »
I must apologize I thought this was a Joke. I still don't get it. you have a chute hooked to your back? and tie the line that pulls the chute out of its pack to the bike. So when you fall off the bike . You get dragged buy the bike along with the chute down the track.
The bike being the heavy object I would think the bike would be in front of the rider.
I must admit I know very little . But I still cant figure out how the chute will open with rider and bike dragging along the ground.
And I don't think it will do much if you leave the track.
Maybe a Bonneville it could work but at tracks like Maxton I just cant see how it would help.Sorry for my own confusion.

You're still not getting it. The static line just RELEASES the chute. It doesn't need to pull out the chute because the chute deploys on its own. You can see that in the photos.

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2008, 10:19:58 PM »
I understand now. I could not make out the photo. the release pin tether is hooked to the bike like a kill lynyrd. the chute pops up from the shoulder. I do believe it could work . Of course nothing will work for every circumstance but I can see how it could work.
I personally would not want the drag penalty of the thing on my back .But I see how it works now

bak189

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2008, 11:36:17 PM »
O.K. O.K. I should not really get into this........BUT
back in the early 1990's while at the Zandvoort
Circuit in the Netherland I saw a test of a BMW
motorcycle with outrigger wheels on both sides of the bike (so there would be no damage to the bike from falling over) the rider was wearing a chute that he deployed at approx. 60 or 70mph.
and it pulled him off the bike with no problem and he landed safely on the track.  This was a test for a movie stunt................what the results would be at higher speeds I would not know.....I do recall it was a fairly small chute......the stuntman is a good friend of mine (Herman Ooster) .  He did it again for the movie.....so yes, it works at below 100mph.